Working Moms
Options

What do you think?

A co-worker of mine referred to a temp in our building by saying "Did you see that colored man. He's pretty strange." I didn't say anything because I was shocked.

I'm still bothered by this two days later. I can't believe she would use such an offensive, dated word. In the past she has also referred to me as having culture in my life since we're a bilingual family.

Anyway, I should probably just forget about, but I'm here venting instead.

Re: What do you think?

• Options
    I would call her on it.  She probably doesn't realize what an ignorant ass she sounds like.
  • Options
    If she uses that term again I'd definitely say something...was homegirl even alive in the 50s/60s (I guess its possible she was)?; regardless, there are more appropriate terms to use.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageshannm:
    I would call her on it.  She probably doesn't realize what an ignorant ass she sounds like.

Yes 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have only heard that term verbalized 2x in my life.  Once when I was a CSR and was about 19 a little old lady used that term over the phone when I asked her who she spoke to before me saying "oh it sounded like a colored girl".  My jaw hit the desk.  I was so stunned I could not react. The send time was on the bump.. yeah that did not end well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The only person I've ever heard use that term was my great grandmother....when she was in her 80s.....about 20 years ago. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    She's in her late 30s. She already rubs me the wrong way for other reasons. She's actually the second person at my workplace that I've heard use the word in the past few weeks. I'm pretty disgusted.

• Options
    Who says "colored" anymore? I live in the south and I don't ever hear it. I would definitely say something about that, that is not appropriate. Personally, it's never appropriate, but especially in a professional setting.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"