Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Solids

I see a lot of mommies giving their babies table foods. My DD is only eating purees. I tried to give her half a dissolving yogurt drop the other day, and she started to choke. Gave her half a puff, and she did ok with that. She's got no teeth yet, and has no real signs of teething yet (doc isn't concerned). Should I be introducing more table foods??
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket

Re: Solids

• Options

My dd doesn't have any teeth either and we give her table foods.(BLW)

It helps her learn how to chew and motor skills. I cut things into big pieces, think steak fry size. The big size is easy for her to pick up and helps keep her from choking.

Also, a baby's  gag reflex is in the middle of the mouth so what you might have thought was choking might just have been gagging.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Ah yes, very well could have been gagging. I'll have to start trying new foods
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We do purees as well. Our Ped said that we would "talk about finger foods" at his 9 month appt but that we could start "playing around" at 8 months. We started with MumMums then went to yogurt melts and then puffs. And again, we are just "playing" so we offer them usually if we are still eating or if we need to him to be distracted for a bit while we get his food ready.
  • Options

My guy has never had a puree.  He eats what we eat and always has.  We've been doing this about 7 weeks, and he is eating a ton, all on his own.

He has never choked.  Gagging is totally normal and how they learn not to put too much into their mouths at one time.  It's especially hard for a baby who has had purees to learn about this b/c they expect to be able to slurp chunky foods past their gag reflex the same way as purees, so just watch her carefully and try not to react too much if she is only gagging.  If you can hear her, she is coughing or making ANY noise, it's not choking.  Choking restricts her airway so she couldn't make noise or breath. Gagging comes with coughing and open mouth, sometimes a little puke, in an attempt to get the food they're not quite ready to swallow out from the back of their throats and back to the front of (or out of) their mouths. 

Choking is very rare.  Whenever I see people say their LO choked on something, I have to be honest...I never believe it (that's in no way a dig on you...just an explanation that so few people understand the normalcy of gagging).

Good luck! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jani7jani7 member
    We are trying to introduce foods other than purees but DS also gags or chokes even on puffs so I hate to rush him and he DOES have teeth!  
  • Options
    Do what you feel comfortable with, if you want to try some finger foods, go for it. We are taking our time with it, and just starting to introduce non-pureed foods for texture. I have not done anything major though, I always only done things that are relatively mushy, but I am just letting DS play and start getting used to chewing. We have tried scrambled egg yolks, mashed up mango and pears pieces, banana. Do whatever you are comfortable with, they will be grown up soon enough! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"