Working Moms

Invite daycare kids to son's birthday party??

Our son turns two in May and we were planning to do a small family birthday party (grandparents, aunts and uncles).  However, my husband and I were talking about how we have few friends in our area, and no couples that we hang out with, and how nice it would be to meet some other couples.  I especially have a hard time because so many women where we live (very upper middle class and conservative area) are stay at home moms, and I feel like I have little in common with them.  

I'm thinking that we'll do a bigger birthday party instead and invite all of the kids in his daycare class?  I thought I'd do a cute invite and then include a note inside to the parents that we are fairly new to the area and thought this would be a good opportunity to meet other people with kids our son's age.

Is this weird? 

Re: Invite daycare kids to son's birthday party??

• I would send an email (or stick notes in cubbies) about a play date instead, including the same note that you're new in town and want to meet other families in your area.

That way there's not the weirdness of presents and you can focus on your kid during his party, not mingling with new people.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageIblamethebeer:

I would send an email (or stick notes in cubbies) about a play date instead, including the same note that you're new in town and want to meet other families in your area.

That way there's not the weirdness of presents and you can focus on your kid during his party, not mingling with new people.

I think this is a much better idea.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Plenty of kids invite daycare kids to their birthday parties.  No need to include the note about why you're doing it!  Or, a playdate is a great idea too. 
  • imageBella427:
    Plenty of kids invite daycare kids to their birthday parties.  No need to include the note about why you're doing it!  Or, a playdate is a great idea too. 

I didn't know if they started inviting other daycare kids at such a young age.  We're new to this daycare, and our old one was kind of weird so I don't go by what people there did :) 

• Ds2 started getting invites from daycare friends at 2. I see nothing wrong with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Totally just invite them without a note. It is common!
  • I don't think it's weird at all.  I would make sure the parents know that they are invited as well.  I'm not sure if it's assumed or if they would think they're just dropping their kids off.  You could end up babysitting a bunch of kids!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I would not invite them to a birthday party. I would do a play date instead. My concern is you would not have enough time to spend talking with the parents, but your family would. I do not like mixing my friends with my family.
  • Honestly, I understand your intentions and I think they're great, but it is super awkward when this happens. I got an invite to a kid's 1st birthday from our day care room that DS was in, and I thought it was really weird. I'd never even met the mom before and I didn't even know who the kid was. I wouldn't be opposed to getting to know the moms and kids there or anything, but I thought it was strange.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• P.S. I live in the metro ATL area as well - not sure exactly what part of town you are in, but maybe we could meet up or something. My DS is only 13 months but he loves to play with other kids.

• imageksyknelvr73:
    P.S. I live in the metro ATL area as well - not sure exactly what part of town you are in, but maybe we could meet up or something. My DS is only 13 months but he loves to play with other kids.

I'm in Marietta and would love to meet up! 

• imageksyknelvr73:
    Honestly, I understand your intentions and I think they're great, but it is super awkward when this happens. I got an invite to a kid's 1st birthday from our day care room that DS was in, and I thought it was really weird. I'd never even met the mom before and I didn't even know who the kid was. I wouldn't be opposed to getting to know the moms and kids there or anything, but I thought it was strange.

LOL.  This was my hesitation because I don't want other parents to think this.  What is your opinion about giving a letter to the teachers to give to the other parents about contacting me if they would like to set up a play date?  Is that less weird? 

• I guess I'm spoiled because our daycare is pretty small and feels like a community.  It's almost weird to NOT invite the kids from school to the birthday parties!  Honestly, I think the letter idea is more awkward.  Can you try to make small talk with parents at pick up or drop off?  I'd start with that, if possible, then do a playdate if you hit it off with someone. 
  • imageGo_Dawgs:

imageksyknelvr73:
    Honestly, I understand your intentions and I think they're great, but it is super awkward when this happens. I got an invite to a kid's 1st birthday from our day care room that DS was in, and I thought it was really weird. I'd never even met the mom before and I didn't even know who the kid was. I wouldn't be opposed to getting to know the moms and kids there or anything, but I thought it was strange.

LOL.  This was my hesitation because I don't want other parents to think this.  What is your opinion about giving a letter to the teachers to give to the other parents about contacting me if they would like to set up a play date?  Is that less weird? 

I think the play date idea is a really good one. I wish I had thought of it to be honest. I am in a slightly similar situation where I don't really have a lot of "mom friends" where I live, b/c I moved away from my home town. I grew up in Conyers and I live in Braselton - it's a little over an hour away and you would think I moved to another state with how my friends act.

But anyway, I saw your other post about being in Marietta - that means you are still a little ways from me but not too bad : ) Did you move here from another area of GA or somewhere else?

• kms34kms34 member

imageksyknelvr73:

This!  I think when they are older Its great but  at 2 it's kind of awkward. We've started getting invites from daycare kids and we never go. I don't know he parents and my kid is too young to go by himself. We will invite DCP to DS's bday but no daycare kids. 

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • We get invited to a lot of daycare bday parties from people we haven't met outside of daycare.  I think it's a good idea!
  • PeskyPesky member
    ditto on the playdates.  Find out from the teachers who your son plays with and invite them over for a playdate.  We did this with DD and have become friends with 2 other couples so far that way.  It's easier because as pp pointed out, no weirdness of presents and massive chaos with multiple 2YOs running amok and by checking out who your DS gets along with beforehand, the kids should be fine together.  

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• My daughter is turning 2 in May and we have become friends with a few families from her daycare.  We regularly see them for playdates, trips to the park/museum, etc.  It seems like in our daycare, the norm is to invite the families you are friends with (through sending a private email or whatever), but not the families you don't know.  The birthday parties have ended up being really fun this way.  The kids play and the parents have some food and a glass of wine and get to hang out with eachother.  It would be way more awkward if there were a whole bunch of people I didn't know at my daughter's birthday party!
  • I think a birthday invite is fine. I don't think you need a note. We have gotten invited to a few daycare birthday parties and it's not weird. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageIblamethebeer:

I would send an email (or stick notes in cubbies) about a play date instead, including the same note that you're new in town and want to meet other families in your area.

Yes 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"