Success after IF

Painful lump in perineum?

Sorry in advance for TMI, but in the middle of the night 2 nights ago I noticed some pain in my perineal area, felt around down there and found a lump under the skin.  It's at the bottom right of my perineum, near the outer edge of my anus.  If I look with a mirror I can't see anything, but I can feel it under the skin.  It hurts when I sit on it, wipe the area, or move around.  Not terribly painful, just a bit bothersome.  Sometimes it feels slightly itchy, as if it could be an infection.

I've had various lumps & bumps in the genital area that were painful and eventually went away...most likely ingrown hairs.  The main difference here is, a) the location, b) There's no sign of it on the outside except maybe a little redness, b) this isn't round, it's longer (maybe 1/2 inch?) and more the shape of a bean.

Can't find much on Google and what I have found doesn't seem to fit.

Debating whether to call my gyn to get it checked out.

Anyone have a clue as to what it is?

Childhood cancer (DH) + chemo + radiation = 0 sperm.
LO #1 - 1 unmedicated/self-monitored IUI w/ donor sperm.
LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
Life is beautiful!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Painful lump in perineum?

• I haven't had that, but I've had lumps in other regions of my body.  I'm one that likes to just get answers right away and go to a doctor pretty soon after I'm sick if I don't feel well quickly, so I'm sure I'd be calling the gyn to get it checked out.  Maybe there's something they can do for it so it's not hurting when you sit.  Hoping it's nothing to worry about.
    After 2 years and 6 IUIs, we did it with IVF w/ ICSI!
    BFP with no treatment!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Call the gyn and get it checked but I'd guess a harmless cyst or small abscess.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehannah&ben:
    Call the gyn and get it checked but I'd guess a harmless cyst or small abscess.

That's what I was thinking, but aren't those usually visible on the outside?  And more roundish?

LO #2 - 1 m/c, 2 BFNs, 4th IUI worked (unmedicated/self-monitored with new donor sperm).
    Life is beautiful!

• Nope, not necessarily.  Abscesses and cysts aren't always uniform in shape, and I'd count bean shaped 'roundish' anyway... And they definitely don't have to be visible one the surface. You can get them anywhere, within your breast, etc. and never see them, only feel them.

• And, I'm sorry you've got whatever it is :( It's no fun being uncomfortable down there.
  • Could it be a hemorrhoid (sp?)?

I'd get it checked out, but in general it seems that lumps that *are* painful are less concerning (cancer-wise) than those that are painless. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My first thought is a hemroid (sp?) and it's just internal.  But I would definitely have it checked out.  Hope the pain goes away soon!
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagehannah&ben:
    And, I'm sorry you've got whatever it is :( It's no fun being uncomfortable down there.

Thanks...though it's really not that big of a deal.  Just a very minor irritation, which I have certainly felt before in that area.  It's not knowing what it is that I don't like!

Life is beautiful!

• If you feel comfortable waiting, then I'd just keep an eye on it.  I had a "lump" a few years ago that I thought was an ingrown hair.  It ended up becoming an abcess and I needed minor surgery to have it drained.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Update:  talked to my midwife (CNM) and she said that it could be a varicose vein or a hemorrhoid.  Those were really the only things she could think of specifically in that area (she ruled out some other ideas when I specified the location).  She told me it should resolve on its own, but if not, to come in b/c she's curious to see it.  But told me it's not concerning at all.
    Life is beautiful!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"