Attachment Parenting
Options

Bed sharing with a toddler and a newborn...

DD sleeps with us, has for about 6 months and does really well. With baby #2 in our thoughts we were talking about what we'd do. I'm not ready to move DD#1 yet, so I figured she could sleep with us and the DC#2 can sleep in a RNP or PNP beside our bed. DH is worried the baby waking in the night will wake up DD#1 too (which, of course, wouldn't be any fun for anyone).

WDYT? Do you think she could sleep through DC#2 waking at night? Or get used to it quickly? Obviously if it was one bad night, I'd just move us out of the room.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bed sharing with a toddler and a newborn...

• Options
    I would keep the newborn in a bassinet/moses basket/etc beside me while I coslept with the toddler. The toddler will learn to sleep through the wakeups. It will be okay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have the same worries.  I'm not ready to move DD from our bed and probably will feel the same when #2 arrives.  Right now the plan is to continue sleeping with DD and use the Arm's Reach with #2.  If the crying wakes up DD well...I'll have to figure something else out! I'm thinking that she will be able to sleep through it though. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think what we're going to do, is set up a "big girl" room for DD, that will use our queen size guest bed (on the floor) as her bed.  It will serve as a place for us to help transiiton her out of our bed, but will also be big enough for either DH or I to lay next to her to help her fall asleep.  I just know I'm going to want the room in my bed when #2 comes to be able to move around and adjust for BFing as needed.  DD is killer to sleep with and a total bed hog, and I just forsee a random foot to the face of the newborn or something.  So, we'll probably start this transition while I'm still pregnant, so she'll feel comfortable in her new room, but we can still snuggle with her at naps and night time as needed.  Just in her own territory vs. ours.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"