Stay at Home Moms
Options

Fear of allergies, help talk me down

My immediate family has no allergies to food, my SIL does have a fish allergy that I guess hypothetically could impact LO, but it's not very likely logically thinking.

We have done all the safest foods, and most of the low risk foods, and pretty much all that is left at this point the "higher" risk foods as they're listed in my Baby Bullet guidebook.

Was anyone else paranoid about giving their kiddos some of these other options? I don't know why I am so nervous about this!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Fear of allergies, help talk me down

• Options
    MJCFMJCF member
    DH and I have no known food allergies and I'm nervous everytime DS tries something new. I've just made a rule that I don't give him any new foods at night so that way if something does happen it will be during the day and we aren't going to the ER at night. It makes me feel better even though it's silly. Sorry, I don't think I'm helping.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageMJCF:
    DH and I have no known food allergies and I'm nervous everytime DS tries something new. I've just made a rule that I don't give him any new foods at night so that way if something does happen it will be during the day and we aren't going to the ER at night. It makes me feel better even though it's silly. Sorry, I don't think I'm helping.

LOL that's ok, I am the same way tho.  I  refuse to give him any new foods later than lunch time so I can monitor him for a reaction.  To make matters worse when I gave him carrots the first time, he threw up, I think it probably just went down the wrong tube so to speak, but I've been scared to try them again =(

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Food allergies are no joke so I think it's okay to be reasonably cautious when introducing new foods. We have a peanut allergy in the family so I held off on peanut butter until well after DS's first birthday.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

If you're really nervous, you can always keep some children's Benedryl on hand & ask your pedi for the correct dosage in case you get a rash or anything. It won't help with an anaphylactic reaction, but as a pp mentioned, most reactions aren't that serious. With Ari it's always been either hives/rash or GI symptoms, except shellfish he has to have an epi pen for. 

Oh, & FYI, the Benedryl won't help with GI symptoms, just rashes & such. 

• Options

I have some pretty serious food allergies as do other family members, so I was also really cautious with introducing foods to her. And ditto the PPs on not giving her foods later than lunchtime and keeping baby Benadryl on hand. She ended up having a reaction to strawberries - hives and a rash, which I treated with Benadryl.

But by the time she was 18 mos, she had outgrown it and now she goes through at least a quart of them a week! I kept a log of when I introduce foods to her and waited a few extra days in between adding new foods, just to be careful. Beyond that, there's really not much you can do!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"