Pregnant after 35

Is it weird?

I just found out I was pregnant yesterday...last period was end of February.           I called to make my first ob-gyn appt and they scheduled it for May 4th.  It seems like a long time...I know that is standard if it is a non-risk/issue pregnancy but the weird thing is they didn't ask any questions to see if i have any of those.  I have no thyroid so I take thyroid medication but they never asked.  Does this seem weird?  I wonder if I should call back and let them know.  Any thoughts?

Re: Is it weird?

• I'm under the impression that the default is that you're not high risk. If you are then you need to tell them.
  • You can shop around if you're in the US.My first one wanted me to come in and date the pregnancy, then I wasn't supposed to come back until 8w. Or, call them back and remind/tell them about the thyroid meds. 

• Loading the player...
  • My doc got me in right away for a piss test and prenatal script, then we didn't see the doc again until 8 weeks which I think is pretty normal.  My friend who was also pregnant (has a 2week old now!) didnt get to see her doctor until 11 weeks, which I thought was total BS.  she has had pretty major complications with previous attempts at carying a child.  She said her doctors office told her they didn't see people until 11 weeks and that was just the way it was (not a doctor I would have chosen!)    I would definitely call back and ask about anything you are concerned about, could be that the nurses/receptionists are just following "routine protocol"
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I didn't get in until 11-12 weeks with both of my pregnancies... It does seem like an awfully long wait! And then I had to push to get that first U/S done quickly (before that window closed). I'm not high risk (other than being >35) so it didn't really matter in the long run....
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mb314mb314 member

Call them back and alert them to your thyroid condition.  They may not see you any sooner if they don't think the medication/condition is a problem.

My midwife scheduled me for 10 weeks, but because I had miscalculated when I conceived, I didn't see her until I was actually 12 or 13 weeks.  I have high blood pressure and allergies, and they told me to call my PCP and allergist who prescribed the medications I was on to see if I needed to switch/stop medications.  Even with those conditions, they didn't need to see me earlier.

Every OB/midwife is different. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"