contrast vs. no contrast (Anyone know what it can show)? — The Bump
Special Needs

contrast vs. no contrast (Anyone know what it can show)?

Peyton is having another lumbar MRI Friday morning.  This is the first time she will be having it done with contrast  (I'm in utter shock that Anthem approved it, and within 48 hours from request!)  

That fact alone has me slightly worried.

I don't actually KNOW what the contrast shows.  All I know is that I asked the neurosurgeon if he thought it would be a good idea to get one with since her bladder is deteriorating and we are considering major bladder surgeries (at the time were). And he agreed we should do one with contrast.

Her last MRI was in Jan at a different facility and it seems their was ALOT of artifact in all of the imagines where she was on her stomach, I believe.  At best the reports were not completely clear and said to look at direct comparison to other  post surgery MRI's (Which we didn't have).

Anyways, no real point here other than i'm getting worried and hadn't really thought about what it could potentially show (other than scar tissue?) 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

Re: contrast vs. no contrast (Anyone know what it can show)?

• We refused contrast with DS due to gadolinium. 

this might be of particular concern if she has kidney issues, it may not be properly excreted from the body. More info:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/178926-side-effects-of-mri-with-contrast/

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugSafetyNewsletter/ucm142889.htm

A lot of times doctors automatically order MRIs with contrast, it can just be an auto checked box on the form. We refused it and it wasn't a big deal, the doctor changed the order and he was still able to see everything he needed to. I just wasn't willing to put the extra metals in his body bc his blood brain barrier wasnt sealed at that age and I knew he wasn't methylating properly. 

• Can you discuss this with your nephrologist? From what I remember hearing contrast is not really done on really young children. I could totally be wrong though..?...Nate's MRI's(3) have all been w/o contrast... Good Luck!
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • image carlinlp:

We refused contrast with DS due to gadolinium. 

this might be of particular concern if she has kidney issues, it may not be properly excreted from the body. More info:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/178926-side-effects-of-mri-with-contrast/

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugSafetyNewsletter/ucm142889.htm

A lot of times doctors automatically order MRIs with contrast, it can just be an auto checked box on the form. We refused it and it wasn't a big deal, the doctor changed the order and he was still able to see everything he needed to. I just wasn't willing to put the extra metals in his body bc his blood brain barrier wasnt sealed at that age and I knew he wasn't methylating properly. 

This is more of my doing, because I want to be absolutely sure we aren't missing something that could be causing her bladder problems to get worse and worse. I will read the links you suggested.  Our neurosurgeon is great and I know that he wouldn't order it, if it wasn't OK.  I wouldn't want her to have contrast every single time, but this one time, to give us answers, we don't really have a choice.  I'm just wondering what it can show, besides scar tissue which I was already told.  

I'm kinda wondering if I want to read the articles now lol, I don't want to freak myself out. 

ETA: since she does retain her urine, do you think I should have them cath her when we leave?  What's the half life, I guess I will ask them tomorrow.   

Can you discuss this with your nephrologist? From what I remember hearing contrast is not really done on really young children. I could totally be wrong though..?...Nate's MRI's(3) have all been w/o contrast... Good Luck!

We don't have a nephrologist, she just sees a urologist for her bladder issues and her kidney's are functioning fine, as of now except for the reflux.  I know it is used on children, but if it doesn't NEED to be then, it isn't.  The little boy who has similar issues to Peyton had to get contrast to see everything that he had going on.  P has had 8-12 MRI's at this point and they have all been without.   

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• I think it will be fine, and yes, you might get more detail on the images. I would cath her after and hydrate her when she's alert, flush out the system so to speak. L has had MRI with contrast done, it's been fine. He usually has them done at his yearly review, right before doing the renal scan, ultrasound, etc. He just had one done Thursday, all his other appts are in two weeks.

• image gimmietimmies:

I think it will be fine, and yes, you might get more detail on the images. I would cath her after and hydrate her when she's alert, flush out the system so to speak. L has had MRI with contrast done, it's been fine. He usually has them done at his yearly review, right before doing the renal scan, ultrasound, etc. He just had one done Thursday, all his other appts are in two weeks.

Thanks!  This was the LONGEST MRI TRIP EVER!!  We were there 6 hours total, she was in the MRI for almost 3 of that.  2 hours before the MRI and 1 hour in recovery.  

My head hurts!

I'm waiting to call them to see if the report is ready yet and I feel like i'm sitting on pins and needles!  

She seemed to do OK with the contrast, they did tell me that her bladder didn't look great from the MRI.  Sadface.

Will update when I get the report. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards