Cloth Diapering
Options

Disinfecting

I have asked this once or twice at the end of a thread and didn't get any responses, so I'll try posting my own thread.  I want to disinfect my diapers just in case there is some yeast present.  I have a few prefolds and then mostly pocket diapers.  Can I add bleach? Should I use non-chlorine bleach and will it ruin my colored/patterned diapers?  Do I need to add it to hot or cold water?  I was thinking of adding it to my quick wash that I usually do before I add detergent.  Advice?

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Disinfecting

• Options
    Non-chlorine bleach has no disinfectant properties. I'd just use 1/4 cup if you want to bleach, and everything should be fine.
  • Options

There are other things, but chlorine bleach is a guarantee. 

Wash your diapers first in regular detergent and rinse.  Then use a cold cycle, use only a 1/4c of bleach.  If you don't have a bleach dispenser, fill your washer first, put the bleach in and let it agitate for a minute, then add your diapers.  Make sure to do a double rinse - bleach rinses out easily, but you'll want to be safe.  

ttf21e9.aspx

ttf2202.aspx

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  I will try this tonight.  I always thought bleach stained colors? Is it because the material of the diapers are PUL? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I use Tea Tree Oil (just a few drops) in every wash.  I thought that was enough to disinfect... no?
  • Options
    I also use TTO - it definitely has disinfectant qualities, it got rid of yeast in our diapers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"