Natural Birth
Options

Going back home to labor after checking in at hospital?

I loved all the advice on the laboring at home thread!  My only big concern though is that I'm probably going to be GBS+.  (Tested positive earlier in the pregnancy.) 

I was really interested to read this... 

imagealiska:

We went into the birth center at noon for me to get antibiotics (GBS+).  At 1pm we went back home.  

That's great that they let her get the antibiotics and then go back home.  I really want to stay at home as long as possible but don't want to go in too late for the antiboitics and also think my ob will be encouraging me to come in early for that reason.  I know my ob and the hospital will think I'm crazy for even asking to go back home, but I'm going to ask at my next appointment if that's a possibility.  (I live literally 3 minutes from the hospital and it's a really small building so getting in and out won't be bad logistically.)

Anybody else go home to keep laboring after antibiotics?   Or check in and then go back home for another reason to keep laboring?  

BabyFruit Ticker
image imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Going back home to labor after checking in at hospital?

• Options
    I went in for an IV for dehydration.  It was done as an out patient procedure, so I guess I wasn't really checked in, but was offered the option to go home once the bag was done.  We decided to stay because we're not that close to the hospital, but I was given the option.  GL, I hope they let you leave!
    If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me. - Led Zeppelin
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    imageimage image
    Chemical Pregnancy 10/5/10
    BFP 2/7/11--m/c 2/12/11
    TTD pics taken by knottie jen&louie :o)
  • Options
    My situation wasn't the same since I wasn't GBS+, but I actually went home twice before being admitted into labor and delivery.  Both times I went through triage, did the 20 minutes of fetal monitoring, cervical exam, etc, before making the decision to leave.  This was also over a period of 24 hours, which ended up sucking insurance-wise because I got stuck with two extra $100 co-pays (whoops!).  Each time the midwife would offer to admit me into general labor and delivery, but I refused and was sent home.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Going in for the antibiotics and then going home is definitely an option for me. I'm not entirely sold on the whole "needing" antibiotics before the birth, so I'll just play it by ear. I just want to stay at home and be comforted by all my own surroundings for as long as possible. This is my first baby, so I'll probably end up freaking out and going right in anyway :)
    BabyName Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image image imageimageimage
  • Options

imageILoveRunning:
    My situation wasn't the same since I wasn't GBS+, but This was also over a period of 24 hours, which ended up sucking insurance-wise because I got stuck with two extra $100 co-pays (whoops!).  

I never would have thought of that!  So you had a co-pay for each time you went in? 

BabyFruit Ticker
    image imageimage
  • Options
    If you are positive when they retest you (it could change!), you should talk to your doc about getting the antibiotics in the office.  They could easily hook you up there without having to go to L&D.
    www.minegoes2-11.blogspot.com

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think it's a great idea. I also think it is far more likely to happen with a MW and birth center, compared to a hospital and an OB.

Be very careful when you ask, and make sure you discuss it completely with your OB. It's likely that they will say "Oh sure, you can come get checked and go home." But what your OB will probably think you mean (if you don't discuss it thoroughly!) is "if I come in in early labor and am not 4+cm can I go home?" if you show up 4+ cm dilated, many hospitals/on-call OBs will not let you leave without a fight and/or signing out AMA. Make certain that your OB know that you mean 1. come in just for antibiotics and 2. go home even if you are 4+cm dilated (the usual cut-off for admission), and make sure he/she is willing to go to bat for you. Remember that they are used to dealing with women who WANT to be admitted asap, not the opposite.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Curious what your OB will tell you.

My OB told me..."You want to stay home as long as possible??  Psht....okay.  That's not a problem.  As a first time mom, there's pretty much no way you'll show up to the hospital with less than 4 hours to go until you give birth.  Stay at home as long as you want...I only need to give you two doses of antibiotics, over 4 hours.  I am confident you'll have time."

I didn't have time.

I think she underestimated my desire for a med-free birth. Stick out tongue

Anyway, not getting antibiotics just meant a 48 hour hospital stay for us all.  Not really a big deal overall.  Hopefully you'll be able to do whatever works best for you!!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageStefandTodd:

Curious what your OB will tell you.

My OB told me..."You want to stay home as long as possible??  Psht....okay.  That's not a problem.  As a first time mom, there's pretty much no way you'll show up to the hospital with less than 4 hours to go until you give birth.  Stay at home as long as you want...I only need to give you two doses of antibiotics, over 4 hours.  I am confident you'll have time."

I didn't have time.

I think she underestimated my desire for a med-free birth. Stick out tongue

Anyway, not getting antibiotics just meant a 48 hour hospital stay for us all.  Not really a big deal overall.  Hopefully you'll be able to do whatever works best for you!!

Yeah- I'm really curious what my ob will say as well.  He knows how much I want a natural birth and I don't think he underestimates me- (I've known him a long time- he's a family friend.) so I'll be interested to hear what he recommends.  I'm not going to even ask the other ob (the less NB-friendly one) in my practice because I know he'll tell me to come early.  I think at my hospital, I'll have to stay 48 hours either way (antibiotics or not) if I test GBS+ or not.  I need to ask about that too.  

As far as what a PP said about maybe not testing positive- that would be great and I've thought about starting a regimen to try to get a negative result, but I'm nervous about getting a negative result but then ending up being positive at birth (since I was before) and not getting an antibiotic that *might* help prevent SIDS.  I need to do more research on this though.  

BabyFruit Ticker
    image imageimage
  • Options

Americanpregnancy.org is where I got this information. It is important to not take the GBS+ culture lightly.   

How does Group B Strep infection affect a newborn baby?

Babies may experience early or late-onset of GBS.

The signs and symptoms of early onset GBS include:

• Signs and symptoms occurring within hours of delivery
    • Breathing problems, heart and blood pressure instability
    • Gastrointestinal and kidney problems
    • Sepsis, pneumonia and meningitis are the most common complications

Newborns with early-onset are treated the same as the mothers, which is through intravenous antibiotics.

The signs and symptoms of late-onset GBS include:

• Signs and symptoms occurring within a week or a few months of delivery
    • Meningitis is the most common symptom
    • Late-onset GBS is not as common as early-onset

Late-onset of GBS could be a result of delivery, or the baby may have contracted it by coming into contact with someone who has GBS.

• Options
    imagencjulia12:

imageILoveRunning:
    My situation wasn't the same since I wasn't GBS+, but This was also over a period of 24 hours, which ended up sucking insurance-wise because I got stuck with two extra $100 co-pays (whoops!).  

I never would have thought of that!  So you had a co-pay for each time you went in? 

Yeah, which I was unaware of at the time.  It wasn't a huge deal since after everything was said and done, the only cost to me during my entire stay (including an unplanned c/s) was the 3x$100 in co-pays.  FYI, I would do it the same way again. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"