January 2011 Moms

Music classes

For those of you that take your LO to a music class, how do they do?

Was thinking about signing W up for one. Its 5 weeks, a half hour each session. 1 yr- 3 yr olds.  I honestly dont know if she could sit still that long.  Its at a local play center, and they get free play for the rest of the day, so that would be good.

I dunno.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Music classes

• Where is this at?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I took Aiden with my friend and her daughter to story time at the library. It also included singing and dancing, and he didn't do very well. He was about 12-15 months the times we went with them. Her daughter was 18 months older and had a ball. He just wanted to run around and I felt like he was a huge distraction to the other kids there. All kids are different though. It doesn't hurt to try it out.

We started tiny tumblers when he was 2 years at the YMCA. It was an obstacle course and lots of running around/playing games. He had an absolute blast and did great.

I know the feeling of wanting to do stuff like that with them as soon as possible because it really is a lot of fun. But I think if they're not ready it's just a PITA.  

• Loading the player...
  • Thats what I was leaning to. Whitney is a squirm worm right now. I'll have to think about it. Thanks for the advice.

• If you go, let us know how it turns out.  I think about taking L to that kind of stuff, but I'm too scared it will be a waste of money right now.
  • Have you tried a free storytime at either a library or a Barnes & Noble near you?  We've been a few times but she really can't sit still... she wants to play with the other kids, who are trying to be good and sit and pay attention. siiigh. I figure that's a good (free) way to figure out whether she'd be able to sit through a music class.

Though, I do expect that they'd want the kids to wiggle a bit and participate in a music class, and I doubt they're going to hand Whitney a bassoon and expect her to wail on some Beethoven, kwim?  It's going to be stuff like cymbals and maracas.  You can also buy that stuff for pretty cheap in really random places.  Joaquin has a tambourine, a harmonica and maracas from the dollar bin at Target, and a recorder I got for like $5 when we were checking out a local music store.

• JT has always done great at the Barnes & Noble storytime. I haven't taken him lately though cause it interferes with naptime. My IRL friend takes her 9 month old to music and they love it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"