High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

@All with GD:

The "needing insulin" post got me thinking: Just curious about what your numbers are on average. I was just diagnosed with GD on Monday, and all I'm doing right now is measuring my blood sugar. They told me not to change my diet, but after seeing that my blood sugar stayed at 174 for two hours after eating a freaking bowl of normal corn flakes, it's kind of hard to not make changes. My fasting numbers seem good, around 74, and I've been trying to eat things high in protein and low in carbs and sugar, and that seems to keep the after-meal numbers under 100. But, to be honest, I am really clueless about diabetes. I didn't have it in my first pregnancy and I wasn't "at risk" for it, either.

Also, do you guys notice when your blood sugar goes too high? Before I was diagnosed, I felt like I was having heart palpatations after eating chocolate and stuff like that. And ... are your babies measuring big? Mine is about two weeks ahead, but everything is proportional.

I'm sorry if these are questions that get posted a lot; I never paid much attention to GD postings until, well, Monday. Embarrassed

Re: @All with GD:

• Options

I'd be changing my diet no matter what the doctor said. Keeping your blood sugar in check is very important, and diet is the first step. Making the move to high protein/low carb is a great, keep it up. Just make sure you don't cut carbs completely, you do need some. I was allowed 30 grams with Bfast, lunch and dinner, and 15 grams with morning and afternoon snacks, 45 at bedtime snack. I was not to go below those amounts. I still needed insulin, and my numbers had to be under 90 for fasting and under 140 (1st baby) or 120 (second baby) one hour after eating. 

I never noticed if my blood sugar was too high, but definitely if it was getting too low. My babies never measured big, and in fact were itty bitty :) DD1 was 6lbs 11 oz and DD2 was 6 lbs.  

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Well mine are supposed to be under 100 for fasting, under 140 one hour after a meal, or if I can't test one hour after, under 120 two hours after. I've had some minor issues with the fasting numbers, but otherwise have been mostly doing fine just watching what I eat. I would definitely try to eat in accordance with the GD diet and see how the numbers change. Most people are much more insulin resistant in the morning and so breakfast is probably where you should cut back on carbs the most (I was told 30 grams for breakfast and 50 for lunch and dinner).
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh and yes, my baby is measuring about two weeks ahead too, but I asked and the doctor said she doesn't think GD is the reason why--she says he's likely just meant to be a big baby--his bones are all measuring long, etc. My daughter was not quite 7 pounds (didn't have GD with her but I think it was likely borderline...scored 131 on the one hour test). Second babies and boys are both usually bigger so she said it's not that surprising that this one is bigger by comparison.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
  • Options

imageDCsara:
    Oh and yes, my baby is measuring about two weeks ahead too, but I asked and the doctor said she doesn't think GD is the reason why--she says he's likely just meant to be a big baby--his bones are all measuring long, etc. My daughter was not quite 7 pounds (didn't have GD with her but I think it was likely borderline...scored 131 on the one hour test). Second babies and boys are both usually bigger so she said it's not that surprising that this one is bigger by comparison.

Mine is also the second and a boy, too. My first (a girl) was big-ish, 8.5 pounds and 21.5 inches. I also didn't have GD with her but was also told I was borderline (but others told me that the numbers were OK). My husband is big and tall, and the baby's bones (or at least his femur, from what I could tell on the monitor) are also measuring long. Plus, this baby has been kind of big from the beginning. At any rate, I wish that the GD had been detected a little earlier.

• Options
    My numbers have been ok though I have issues with my fasting numbers (I'm on insulin now) My fasting number has to be under 90 and 2 hours after meals under 120. I do occasionally have a high number. When my sugars are high I usually feel off and when they go low it's worse... I try to eat a good mix of carbs and protein and was told to try to do a 2 to 1 carb to protein ratio as much as possible. So far my baby is measuring right on track.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageButterbrot:

The "needing insulin" post got me thinking: Just curious about what your numbers are on average. I was just diagnosed with GD on Monday, and all I'm doing right now is measuring my blood sugar. They told me not to change my diet, but after seeing that my blood sugar stayed at 174 for two hours after eating a freaking bowl of normal corn flakes, it's kind of hard to not make changes. My fasting numbers seem good, around 74, and I've been trying to eat things high in protein and low in carbs and sugar, and that seems to keep the after-meal numbers under 100. But, to be honest, I am really clueless about diabetes. I didn't have it in my first pregnancy and I wasn't "at risk" for it, either.

Also, do you guys notice when your blood sugar goes too high? Before I was diagnosed, I felt like I was having heart palpatations after eating chocolate and stuff like that. And ... are your babies measuring big? Mine is about two weeks ahead, but everything is proportional.

I'm sorry if these are questions that get posted a lot; I never paid much attention to GD postings until, well, Monday. Embarrassed

Random tidbit but corn flakes have a higher glycemic index than any cereal, even higher than some candy!

https://carbs-information.com/glycemic-index-food-chart.htm
    love angel Pictures, Images and Photos Thorns and stings And those such things Just make stronger Our angel wings. ~Terri Guillemets
  • Options
    imageangelwings111:
    imageButterbrot:

Random tidbit but corn flakes have a higher glycemic index than any cereal, even higher than some candy!

https://carbs-information.com/glycemic-index-food-chart.htm

That damn misleading rooster! I talked to my dietician today, and she pretty much the same thing. Needless to say, Corn Flakes (and that rooster on the box) are dead to me. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"