April 2011 Moms
Options

Penicillin Allergy :(

So, today I went to get Liam's ears rechecked since he just finished his antibiotics for his ear infection. Everything looked good except that he has some welts on his skin. His pedi thinks he might be having a mild reaction to penicillin. That would be fine, except for the fact that I have an ear infection too and am currently taking penicillin. 

I noticed this morning after nursing he had some welts on his cheeks. They went away in less then an hour. She told me to watch and make sure it does not get worse. If it does I will pretty much have to stop breastfeeding :(  SHe said to pump and dump, but I have never been able to pump anything and that would kill my already low supply. I was going to stop at 1 year. I still have 23 days left of nursing and I want them. I was in tears talking to my mom this morning.

Sorry to complain. Just a little sad. After everything I went through to breastfeed my son (the first 2 months of his life I was hooked up to a pump after nursing him to build my supply) we might not even be able to make t to our one year goal. This makes one sad mommy :(  

photo 8e32bb2b-42a7-49d2-85df-cab52864175d_zpse525d043.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Penicillin Allergy :(

• Options

Awww - I'm sorry  :(

Even if you don't quite make it to a year you have done an amazing job.  I know it's hard - my supply has pretty much bottomed out and I'm still coming to terms with that.

I hope everything works out, but even if you have to stop before a year you've done great!! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm so sorry. :(  I hope you can find a solution. If you have to stop, please please know that you are a complete rock star. You've done a great job BF!! ((Hug))
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for the kind words ladies! I needed them today :)
    photo 8e32bb2b-42a7-49d2-85df-cab52864175d_zpse525d043.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Huge hugs to you. I hope things get better soon. You have done an awesome job of nursing this long!
    Old nestie, new name: formerly ckolak:-)
    imageimage
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Mama's Gonna Buy You A Mockingbird
  • Options
    GHBEAGHBEA member
    First off you have BF him a long time so you have given him a great start.  I am sorry and hope things work out for the better.  HUGS
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    QTeeQTee member
    My son has the same allergy. Ask your Dr. for Zithromax (antibiotic) instead! It is safe for infants and you can still nurse. Or some other antibiotic your son is not allergic to.
  • Options

imageGrace0609:
    Call your doctor and have your antibiotic changed.  No biggie...there are multiple other antibiotics that work well for ears (azithromycin, cefdinir, etc) and are safe for breastfeeding.  At least that is what I would do!  Also, depending on how many days of antibiotics you have already had, you may be able to just stop the antibiotic...talk to your doctor...there really aren't any studies to say that 10 days of antibiotics are necessary compared to like 7 days, etc.

I never knew this about antibiotics. I always figured they were something you had to finish if started. We have been lazy and have yet to find a grown up doctor for us, but I will give the minute clinic a call. Right now we are pumping and dumping.

Thanks for the help and support ladies! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageGrace0609:
    Call your doctor and have your antibiotic changed.  No biggie...there are multiple other antibiotics that work well for ears (azithromycin, cefdinir, etc) and are safe for breastfeeding.  At least that is what I would do!  Also, depending on how many days of antibiotics you have already had, you may be able to just stop the antibiotic...talk to your doctor...there really aren't any studies to say that 10 days of antibiotics are necessary compared to like 7 days, etc.

This is what I was thinking. I work for an ENT and he really likes cefdinir. Explain the breastfeeding thing to them. It's so hard to care for yourself when you can't take medicine. At least in this case there are options :)

Hope you feel better soon

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"