Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Question about testing for recurrent loss and insurance

I've had 4 miscarriages- so I am seeing an RE for testing.... I just started testing last Friday ( day 3 testing) and am scheduled to have a sonohystogram tomorrow- the day 3 testing and the sono are covered by my insurance- but the genetic testing they want to do tomorrow is apparently not covereed ( and will cost 2,000 out of pocket)..... Is this normal that genetic testing is not covered?? Is there any other way I can ask them to code it so it can be covered?? Also- what specifically is this looking for - just to see if I am a carrier for a genetic condition ( I think I recall him mentioning tay sachs and fragile X) ??? Do I really need this test done if it is looking for very rare conditions anyway- none of the conditions he mentioned have ever been present in anyone in my family or my husbands family????
BabyFruit Ticker BFP #7 2/4/13- EDD 10/20/13

Re: Question about testing for recurrent loss and insurance

• My situation is a little different than yours, in that I've had three miscarriages and two live births, but with the insurance, we declined genetic testing on the baby we recently lost because it was $3,500 out of pocket, not covered by our insurance at all. To get genetic testing done on my husband and I would also not be covered by insurance.

My doctor did mention the possibility of balanced translocation of chromosomes, but in order to see if dh or I is a carrier we would have to do karotyping, and even if we do have that as an issue, the only "solution" is to try IVF with PGD, which is not a step we are willing to take, or financially able to take because so much of it is not covered by insurance, so we've decided not to do the genetic testing on the two of us either. Knowing wouldn't change our path. With the genetic testing, they are looking for conditions in both of you to see if there's a chromosomal issue for the miscarriages. No one in my family or my husband's has ever had any issues with conceiving or losses, but I suppose there's always a first time (us).

I'm so sorry for your losses. Dealing with the financial side of things just makes it even worse. {{hugs}} 

~Rose~ Mom to two boys, 8 & 12. ~Will never forget the three we lost, 2/02 @ 10w5d, 6/02 @ 6w4d & 3/12 @ 9w3d~
  • I would call and double check with your insurance to see if you have coverage for genetic testing due to RPL.  If they say no and God forbid, you miscarry again have the miscarried tissue tested.  If you call the insurance company make sure you tell them it is for RPL and NOT infertility as you are technically not infertile. 

Our ins. has paid for everything for RPL.  we have 2 live children and then had 3 consecutive miscarriages, the last being earlier this month.  We had the tissue tested and it came back with a chromosomal abnormality.  We did not have the genetic karyotyping done initially  because we have 2 healthy kids so we didn't think there was a cause.  This was likely (as we do not have 100% of the information yet nor have we met with a geneticist yet) an unbalanced translocation which could have been a spontaneous mutation but is more likely inherited.  DH or I likely have a balanced translocation.

We are doing the testing because our main concern is not that the BT can cause a miscarriage but the concern that it could cause severe birth defects.  The other thing is that as a BT we can pass it on to our children so our 2 LC could have problems with RPL as well.  

Anyway, I would double check with your ins and make sure it is coded for RPL because that is different than infertitlity.

Sorry for your losses and GOOD LUCK!!

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with the PP who said to have it coded for a repeat loss panel as opposed to IF. I called our insurance prior to starting and they said that because it's a recurrent loss issue it will be covered.

When we did our IF testing prior to having DS, my OB coded as much of it under other things as she could before resorting to IF coding because our IF coverage was horrible.

Good luck to you, I hope you get some answers.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"