LGBT Parenting

Questions: Paci and Sunscreen

L  has a paci.  She uses a soothie only when sleeping/napping  it the one we had when she was just born.  I am ok with her using the paci to sleep S sucks her thumb not sure what I prefer yet.  I like the idea of throwing away a paci and being done cant do that with a thumb.

My question for L and her Paci now that she is  almost 9 months ( damn it goes fast ) do i get her a age appropriate paci?  I feel like the one she has is small and therefor may not interfear with her teeth and eventually it will be hard to suck???  is this rationale wrong - just plain crazy or does it make sense to anyone else ?

We are going to HAWAII soon in April so excited...  but i know there are issues with sunscreen and I am not sure if what i read is right or wrong and so much info ... WHAT DO YOU DO ?  I know there are specific brands or types so let me have it ... Melanie is a superfreak about sun and  her family is "melanomay" and so fair they think about the sun and turn lobster red.  so she is so against the girls exposure to sun.  I will say I would prefer not to have added substance or chemicals to the sun screen. 

I wanna add pic today i should go take some 

- 2 Moms 2 Twins Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
our Blog -http://dosbabies.wordpress.com/

Re: Questions: Paci and Sunscreen

• You can always use the baby's diaper cream because it has zinc oxide in it. (done it before) Or you can go to your natural food store and find sunblock for infants/toddlers. I think Burt's Bees have something. There is also a German brand that's consider natural. 
    Mom to a wonderful kiddo. Wishing/Hoping for a second LO.
  • Paci - we never switched pacis or upgraded.  The same ones they used in the hospital were the ones we took away (at about 13/14 months old for both girls).  They both have beauitfully perfect teeth Wink

Sunscreen - your very best option is just to keep them out of the sun using long sleeve rash guards, beach tents, ect.  But, physical-barrier sunscreen is good too (no chemicals). we use california baby.

• Loading the player...
  • imagectbride08:

Paci - we never switched pacis or upgraded.  The same ones they used in the hospital were the ones we took away (at about 13/14 months old for both girls).  They both have beauitfully perfect teeth Wink

We never switched, but let Peanut have it too long. The hospital ones pushed her bottom front teeth back a little (not dramatically, but enough to be noticible and make me feel like a bad parent!). We tried to switch her to an "orthodontic" paci (or whatever they call those that are small at the stem) and she wouldn't take it. I wish I'd pushed her to at least switch, if not give them up altogether, earlier.
    married 03/08/08 -- ttc with PCOS (dx 2005) & DS
    IUI #3 gave us the best 2nd anniv. gift ever: 2 babies! (born 03/09/10)
    Peanut and Little Man are getting so big! 2 years old already!
    finally blogging again at This Will Be: An Adventure
  • hlkehlke member

Re: Sunscreen, there are two kinds - chemical and physical.  The chemical sunscreens soak into the skin to create the sun barrier.  Physical sunscreens stay on top of the skin and block the rays.  The active ingredients in physical sunscreen are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.  I use Johnson & Johnson Baby sunscreen, but a bunch of the major brands are selling physical sunscreens now.

You should also avoid sunscreens with the ingredient "retinyl palmitate".  It's a form of Vitamin A that becomes carcinogenic when exposed to sunlight.  The studies on this came out last year, so it's likely this year's formulas are less likely to contain it.  Oxybenzone is the other ingredient to avoid - it penetrates the skin more than other sunscreen ingredients. 

Same sex couple TTC with donor sperm.  I am 35 and carrying.  Endometriosis and DOR.
    AMH 0.5, AFC 5-8, FSH 7ish

IVF #1 - antagonist.  Empty follicle syndrome.  1 retrieved, 0 fertilized.
    IVF #2 - antagonist.  Ovulated early.  3 retrieved, 2 fertilized, 0 blasts
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"