C-sections

What kind of meds during a c-section?

I'm one of those moms-to-be who planned on doing a med-free vag birth, so bear with me :)

Unfortunately, due to IUGR (growth restriction) and low-to-poor cord blood flow, we're looking at an early delivery via c-section. Do I get a choice in the meds I have to take for anesthesia? I'd like to be as low-medication as possible, although I'm not sure how possible that is when dealing with a c-section as I'm sure it's going to be the worst pain I've ever felt! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What kind of meds during a c-section?

• Pretty sure its either an epidural or spinal.  Sorry you won't get to have your planned birth but my c-section with an epidural was not that bad and the recovery was pretty easy.  Good luck!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I dont think you would want to do it with anything but a spinal or epidural. Even the Epi seems a bit of a stretch for me. YOu are going through Major surgery. I think those two options are the only way not to feel anything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • You're not going to have alot of control about the meds used during the surgery itself.  Under medicating you would be dangerous because you have to be still during the surgery.  They didn't make me feel fuzzy or sedated if that is what you're worried about.  The surgery itself isn't really painful at all it just feels weird with all the pulling etc. 

After surgey it hurts alot, but you will have more control over the meds at that point.  But in order to sit up to hold and nurse my baby I needed pain meds.  I'm not a big fan of them (I also wanted a med free vag birth) but my baby needed me. On a positve note I was down to just Ibuprofen by the end of the week. 

Good Luck

• I would definitely talk to the anesthesiologist if you can before the surgery.  They will want to make sure you're completely numb, but if there are specific drugs you're concerned about, you may be able to change something.  I had duramorph in my spinal and hated it so if I have to have another c-section, I'm going to try to make sure I don't get that. As for epidural vs. spinal, I had a spinal and really had no complaints about that.    
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • yeah, i definitely dont want to feel fuzzy or sedated! Thanks!
  • I had a spinal as my main surgery med but I believe they put morphine in there and I was pretty out of it after recovery. Once I made it back to my room I really don't remember much until late that night. I was told a month ago by my mom and DH that I did talk to them a little when I got in my room but I slept mostly. I don't even remember my mom leaving or what happened while I was out for hours lol.

Then I had insane itching. I scratched myself up bad! They gave me some benedryl and it didn't help so I may find out what other choice I have on that.

• I had an emergency c/s so I had no clue what I was getting into.  I already had an epidural during labor so when they wheeled me into the OR they just put a diferent medicine through it to completely numb me out.  I was completely awake and alert the whole time.  When we went in I was kinda freaking out and shaking so they offered to knock me out but I wanted to be awake.  So in a sense I did have some control over my awareness.  Once DD was out though, they let me stay awake for a little bit but I wasn't stopping shaking so they gave me no choice and knocked me out while they stiched me up.  It really wasn't as bad as I was expecting, and once they woke me up I was completely aware and had no fuzziness or anything. 

Good Luck!

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As pps said its a spinal or epidural. I had an epidural.... I had planned on having a natural birth as well, but then I got the epidural, and then I ended up having a c-section. I was really disappointed, but now I now that it was perfectly fine and the way they come into this world is not the important thing.

You will be able to decide what meds you use for pain management after surgery. If you want I am sure you can do no meds... but I wouldn't advise it. It is major surgery and it will hurt. I took percocet and everything was fine. You can even breastfeed while on it. Some doctors give Ibuprophen. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • At my hospital, they do an epidural. If that doesn't take, they do a spinal. 
    Baby E: July 3, 2009 Baby M: February 22, 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"