Camp Questions — The Bump
Pre-School

Camp Questions

Okay this is a whole new world for me...but

what backpack and lunch bag do you use for your toddler when they go to camp?

I hope this isn't too ridiculous of a question but I have seen a few things online and I have no clue what to get.

Also do you label everything or just write their initials on the tags and stuff?

Just getting ready...I mean it won't be till June, but I have had these questions in my head. 

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)

Re: Camp Questions

• Can you clarify what you mean by "camp"?  I'm assuming you mean a day program full of activities with peers?   Drop off in the AM and pick up in the PM?

For school we have Lands End junior sized back packs with their names on them.  I know you're not supposed to do that as they get older for stranger danger reasons but my kids get signed in and out of an enclosed environment by me so I don't worry about a stranger on the street calling them by name and asking them over to abduct them in their car or something.

Lunch bag has their name on the inside in permanent marker.

Back up clothes have their name on the outside of a zip lock bag.

Basically anything you want to be sure you get back you'll want to label. 

For swim lessons at my kids' school we got them monogrammed towels just because the whole towel thing is kinda a night mare with so many lying about and being tossed up on the fences to dry.

Goggles labeled on the back with first name, last initial.

Along those lines .... always label with last initial as it's not uncommon for there to be more than 1 child in a group with the same name. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • imagehowleyshell:

Can you clarify what you mean by "camp"?  I'm assuming you mean a day program full of activities with peers?   Drop off in the AM and pick up in the PM?

For school we have Lands End junior sized back packs with their names on them.  I know you're not supposed to do that as they get older for stranger danger reasons but my kids get signed in and out of an enclosed environment by me so I don't worry about a stranger on the street calling them by name and asking them over to abduct them in their car or something.

Lunch bag has their name on the inside in permanent marker.

Back up clothes have their name on the outside of a zip lock bag.

Basically anything you want to be sure you get back you'll want to label. 

For swim lessons at my kids' school we got them monogrammed towels just because the whole towel thing is kinda a night mare with so many lying about and being tossed up on the fences to dry.

Goggles labeled on the back with first name, last initial.

Along those lines .... always label with last initial as it's not uncommon for there to be more than 1 child in a group with the same name. 

Thanks so much

Yes it is drop off in the morning pick up in the early afternoon :)  crafts, water activities, etc. with peers. 

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Loading the player...
  • I use namebubbles.com and they have labels that will stick to ANYTHING - though the dishwasher, laundy, etc. . Also, in my experience, if you are willing to put your phone number out there, putting your phone number on the label means that you might actually get the item back.  In a huge group of kids, where not all the adults know every kid's name, I find that things with only names tend to just sit in lost and found even if it is found.  If it has a number, my experience is that they will call. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • If they are carrying the backpack go as small as possible if it is staying in their room or cuby - it doesn't really matter.  I would label everything with last name - that way if the lose it - it can be looked up on a larger system - intails are no help if it is lost outside the group.  Also, with last name it can passed on to a second child and still returned.  My camp provides lunch so no advice there.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • This is the 1st year we are doing a real camp vs the girls doing the camp program at daycare or the summer program at school (PreK program).  WE have always just used the same backpack as we do for school for which is the Lands End small kids backpack.  I put the swimwear in a different bag inside if that so it doesn't get everything else wet (use a plastic reusable bag or a Target bag for example) or put the extra clothes into a gallon size bag and seal it inside the backpack so it stays dry.  As far as a lunchbox, again, just using the basic lunchbag that we use for school - it zips closed and has a pocket in the front.  I can easily put a cloth napkin and anything else like a spoon in the pocket and it seals and the cold stuff on the inside and she will use one of her sports bottles for her water.  Our camp requires that everything be labled with a full name - I have used a black sharpie marker on the tags for most stuff but you can buy basic cloth4es labels (my sister did this for my neices overnight camp).  I will end up getting the labels at some point as camp is 3 weeks so that is a lot of clothes to label and everything must be labeld that goes to camp.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards