Pregnant after 35

3rd U/S @7w3d measuring small :(

I'm so sad today after coming back from the RE's office. Seems that LO is measuring 6 days behind. I am 7w3d but measuring 6w5d. There was a heartbeat which is really positive but she says I have about a 70% chance of miscarriage. I have another u/s on Monday. My RE says we'll know a lot more on Monday.

Anyone have any positive stories of "catching up" at this stage of the game and going on to have a healthy baby?

Re: 3rd U/S @7w3d measuring small :(

• First, I'm going to say, what do I really know? Only what I've read and stories I've heard. I'm not a professional. It's just been my experience that some doctors are kind of doom and gloom. That said, that's only 5d behind. I think thats in tolerance. What was the HB? I was told to expect miscarriage over the weekend at 5w3d. At 6w3d, I hadn't miscarried, and baby had a heart rate of 120bpm. I'm now 32w on Friday. A heart beat is MORE than a "positive" sign. It's a GREAT sign. It doesn't mean you're all in the clear, but it certainly lends toward viability. I'd ask for a second opinion. A lot of babies measure small. From my first ultrasound to my 20w anatomy scan I've measured anywhere from a week behind to a week ahead. It's just a guideline. Even now, at 24w, I was measuring 25w5d, and at 31w, I was measuring 31w0d. 

Good luck, and keep us posted.

• Thanks for sharing your info. The U/S tech was positive and said the hb was strong but didn't give me a bpm. My RE who came in late after a surgery and was going by the pictures of the U/S was the bearer of bad news. I've been getting an u/s every week. The LO certainly looked much bigger to me, even had the "C" shape this week instead of the circle or peanut shape. I'm just so scared because this is what happened at my last  pregnancy which ended in miscarriage. She said I was 6 days behind, not 5. 

imageFyreFlyeRush:

First, I'm going to say, what do I really know? Only what I've read and stories I've heard. I'm not a professional. It's just been my experience that some doctors are kind of doom and gloom. That said, that's only 5d behind. I think thats in tolerance. What was the HB? I was told to expect miscarriage over the weekend at 5w3d. At 6w3d, I hadn't miscarried, and baby had a heart rate of 120bpm. I'm now 32w on Friday. A heart beat is MORE than a "positive" sign. It's a GREAT sign. It doesn't mean you're all in the clear, but it certainly lends toward viability. I'd ask for a second opinion. A lot of babies measure small. From my first ultrasound to my 20w anatomy scan I've measured anywhere from a week behind to a week ahead. It's just a guideline. Even now, at 24w, I was measuring 25w5d, and at 31w, I was measuring 31w0d. 

Good luck, and keep us posted.

• Loading the player...
  • Sorry! I meant to hit 6, not 5! I'm on my phone and. Sometimes it hits the wrong character.

EDIT: left the typos above to prove my point! 

On a side note, my first OB was doom and gloom, but he liked the HB even though I wasn't where he thought I should be measurement wise.  Really, good luck. Sending sticky healthy thoughts your way. (hugs)

• Fingers crossed for you!
  • Do you think you may have Oed late? We measured 6 days smaller than what I "thought" we are at, but my chart had two possible O dates and most due date calculators use the average 28 days to calculate EDD. I asked doc if measuring 6 days was cause for worry. He wasn't worried at all because he said there are so many different factors (egg and sperm meet late, implant late, eratical cycle, etc.) Plus at that size, they are soooo tiny that the u/s measurement can be off by a tenth of a mm and make the difference of a day or so. FX for you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did an unmedicated IUI, my RE says I'm 52 days past conception based on the follicle scan, lh surge, etc. You're right, there are a ton of factors, but I'm pretty sure my days are correct.  I'm just miserable tonight, and I'm trying to think positive. I have my next U/S on Monday, I told her I couldn't possibly wait the full week until next Wednesday. 

• I answered you on PAL but will paste it here too.

With this pregnancy, my betas did not double. I first measured 5 days behind. By the time I went for my Cvs, I measured 6 days ahead. I planned on another miscarriage and was wrong. I hope you have the same outcome. I know it's hard to stay positive and I would be lying if I said I did. I went in and said, so te heart stopped, right? Life is full of good surprises and I hope this will be yours.

m/c 3/07-7 weeks, m/c 5/07-9 weeks, ds 09/08, ds 05/10, m/c 10/11-9 weeks BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageHalle76:

I answered you on PAL but will paste it here too.

With this pregnancy, my betas did not double. I first measured 5 days behind. By the time I went for my Cvs, I measured 6 days ahead. I planned on another miscarriage and was wrong. I hope you have the same outcome. I know it's hard to stay positive and I would be lying if I said I did. I went in and said, so te heart stopped, right? Life is full of good surprises and I hope this will be yours.

I did this, too. "So...is there a heart beat?" My OB, my current one, looked at me and her face kind of got smypathetic. "Yes! Super active!" and she turned the monitor to me to see. I think I might have cried a little. Until that point, I was terrified I wouldn't make it out of the first tri. I was 11w5d.

It's hard to stay positive. It's even harder not to dwell on it. Every twinge, every cramp...every little spot (I spotted for two weeks straight) freaks you out. Just stay off google. In pregnancy, Google is NOT your friend. While I haven't experienced a loss, I had the constant 1st Tri threat of one in BOTH of my pregnancies.

• Thanks for sharing your story. I appreciate your support and kind words!

• I am sorry that I don't have any advice for you, I just wanted to post and say my fingers are crossed and my thoughts will be with you that everything is ok.
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"