VBAC
Options

I'm pro-VBAC, he's pro repeat c/s

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Re: I'm pro-VBAC, he's pro repeat c/s

• Options

You can check out iris's awesome VBAC blog for links. Also check into your local ican chapter for some local resources and maybe an actual human he could talk to that would ease his fears.

https://vbacbumpies.blogspot.com/  

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    I'm sorry he's not supportive, although I do think it is due to lack of knowledge about the issue.  I hope that you guys can get on board with a birth plan you are both comfortable with so that you can have optimal support!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

There are some great resources out there though unfortunately I don't have the links (I know people around here do!)  I agree that it is lack of information on his part that is making him think that way. Remind him that you are three times more likely to die during a c/s than a vaginal birth.  My DH said ONCE that he thought a c/s might be the better way to go and I "calmly" reminded him of what I went through for that to happen and threw some stats his way on the risks of a c/s vs. a VBAC and he was on board after that:-)  Since the VBAC he would tell anyone that it is the better way to go (and he also thinks my midwife is a goddess:-)

I'm sure he'll come around.  Can your doctor talk to him?  Unfortunately, sometimes the "expert" is the only one they will listen to.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers image image
  • Options
    Does your hospital have any classes you can take? We went to a VBAC class and it really helped him understand. He needs to have all the information and have time to think it over. My OB is really on board, and he tries to go to some of the appointments with me. It has helped him talk to my OB about some issues he has. He is finally on board with me trying for a VBAC. We had a long conversation about it last week, and he just nervous either way. I think that it helped him after talked about him just being scared.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    imagepepomntpat:

You can check out iris's awesome VBAC blog for links. Also check into your local ican chapter for some local resources and maybe an actual human he could talk to that would ease his fears.

https://vbacbumpies.blogspot.com/  

This is what I was going to recommend as well!  Also, check with your local ICAN group about their attendance policies, but it's always been an option for ladies to bring their DH/SO with them to a meeting.  

For my DH, he was more worried about c/s complications over the VBAC risk (surgical issues, future pregnancy issues, TTC after a c/s, etc...)  HTH and GL!!!   

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• Options

I'm reposting what I posted on 12-24:

Sookie, since your husband is concerned about the risk of VBAC, I think you should show him this link:

"As the rate of cesarean delivery continues to increase, the association between this procedure and long-term maternal morbidity is a growing concern. Although it is often difficult to establish causality, the risk of morbidity generally increases with the number of cesarean deliveries. The most serious maternal risk in pregnancies following cesarean delivery is placenta accreta spectrum disorder and its associated complications, including massive maternal hemorrhage. A history of multiple cesarean deliveries is the major risk factor for this condition. Pregnancies following cesarean delivery are also at increased risk for other types of abnormal placentation, reduced fetal growth, preterm birth, and possibly stillbirth. Chronic maternal morbidities associated with cesarean delivery include pelvic pain and adhesions. Cesarean delivery may also increase the risk of adverse reproductive effects, including decreased fertility, increased risk of spontaneous abortion, and ectopic pregnancy. It is important for clinicians and patients to be aware of the maternal and fetal morbidity associated with cesarean deliveries. The long-term complications associated with cesarean delivery must be considered when discussing the mode of delivery in first and subsequent pregnancies. "

https://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(11)01264-6/fulltext

There are also a lot of good links and birth stories on the VBAC Bumpies blog, vbacbumpies.blogspot.com.  Check out the links from ACOG and the NIH affirming the safety of VBAC, as well as the Woman's Guide to VBAC which I think shows you the numbers well.

RCS carries a 3x increased risk of maternal death, and puts you at higher risk for serious placenta complications in future pregnancies, like placenta accreta which can cause fatal bleeding at delivery. I would definitely consider VBAC if you want to have more than 2 kids.  Furthermore, most uterine ruptures can be resolved with a cesarean and outcomes are usually good for mom and baby.  You are more likely to lose a baby during an amniocentesis than during a VBAC attempt, if that puts things into perspective (you don't see everyone freaking out and banning amnios).  I am not trying to sound like a fear mongerer here, just want your husband to understand that there are risks in every delivery.  The bottom line is that both VBAC and RCS are safe.

HTH, sorry no clicky links.  

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"