High-Risk Pregnancy

AtrioVentrical Canal Defect

So I've been dealing with this mostly with just family and friends but have decided to announce here. We first went for our quad screen at 12 weeks and everything was normal. We came back at 17 weeks for our regular ultrasound to measure baby. I noticed a problem when the dr. came in to check it out. He said nothing to be concerned about but wanted to come back in 4-5 weeks. We went back last week and they confirmed a heart defect in the baby which is also a common defect found in children with down syndrome. At this point I am complete mess. I am offered an amnio to check for chromosomal abnormalities. I opt in because I would rather know and be prepared. I knew there were risks, but willing to take them and the Dr. is very well experienced. We were told results would be in Thursday 2 days later. Two days go by not very quickly, just to be told the results would not be ready until more than likely Monday. Monday came and I was on the phone as soon as the office opened. The results were in and everything came back normal. AMEN! So now we only have to deal with a heart defect which can be corrected after birth. We saw a cardiologist on Tuesday and confirmed a partial Atrioventrical Canal Defect and cleft mitral valve. Partial is better than a complete as the symptoms at birth will be very minimal, he should feed well, grow, and have minimal problems breathing. With a complete AVC there are lots of problems with feeding, lethargy, weight gain, and heavy breathing. We are looking at hopefully a normal delivery and surgery for our little man within a few months of birth after he is gained weight and grown stronger. I will be monitored every month at the perintologist and cardiologist in 6 weeks then once more before birth. It has been very difficult for the past week, but finally feeling a little better. Any words of advice are greatly appreciated.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: AtrioVentrical Canal Defect

• My heart goes out to you. I've had several patients whose babies had AV canal defect over the years. Out of 5 (4? I forget how many), all the babies did well, although one developed heart block. My LO is at risk for heart block for a very different reason, so while not the same, I'll be going through a lot of the same appointments as you. It's hard to be on this side of the fence! Good luck. 
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • You will be in my prayers as well.

I know from my previous pregnancy of several ultrasounds for follow-up to the NT scan, which included going to a different hospital for a fetal echo, that it can be an exhausting process.It doesn't always feel like a blessing to have the info but will mean the best care for your little one. 

My toddler is keeping me busy during this pregnancy. In my previous pregnancy, I had too much time to spin mentally. I am loving the joyful distraction he provides and hope you are finding strength with your little girl.

Many wonderful wishes for you and your family. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"