Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Trouble with solids schedule

I am mainly a lurker and love to read everyone's advice....I have learned so much!  So...now, I am looking for suggestions.  DS is 7 months and has barely had any solids.  The reasoning is because I am having difficulty with finding a time to introduce them.  I've read not to introduce new foods in the evenings, so that only leaves weekends.  Fortunately, I only work 3 days a week so I'm able to introduce a new food Thurs-Monday.  But... my main problem is during the week.  I would like for him to have a solid in the evenings (after I have discovered that he tolerates it well), but by the time I get home after 5:00, he is due for a feeding (BF) or is very tired and needs a nap.  I usually nurse him to sleep around between 7:30-8:00.  Sorry for my rambling, but I guess I am just looking for advice on when to give him solids.  Do I only stick to weekends since I have more time or do I squeeze in a food after I get home from work?  Also...is it okay to introduce a new food in the evenings? 

Any advice on solids will be SO much appreciated!  I feel like I am completely lost in this area ;)

Re: Trouble with solids schedule

• Options

I would introduced food anytime. I've never heard it needs to be at night. I also don't think you need any more than 3 days between new foods. At this rate, you can introduce cereal and a couple vegetables all within 2 weeks. Then move to fruit. Our ped recommended starting with meat, but I know that's a little uncommon.

Can you feed him a little in the morning? Only takes a couple minutes to get a few bites in at first. You have to start somewhere :) Otherwise, do nighttime, but do it every night so it will start to get easier.

Elizabeth

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    OUKapOUKap member
    we introduce in the evening.
    DS 7/6/09
    DD 9/4/11
    EDD 9/1/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think the main reason it's suggested not to try foods in the evening is due to their moods.  As long as your LO is pleasant (co-operative), I don't think it matters.  HAVE FUN :)  When we first started, I couldn't wait to try new foods.

• Options
    The don't feed in the evening is only for not introducing a new food because if there was an allergic reaction they might be asleep.  Once you've given  a food without a problem, I wouldn't worry about it.  Who watches LO during the day?  Can they feed food?  With all that said, food is just for practice at this age so I wouldn't be concerned at all.  Also, I didn't wait 3 days between foods except for those that were more likely to cause an allergic reaction...but I did that with the blessing of my ped.  You could ask!
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    BFP #1 3/27/10 - mmc discovered 5/20/10 at 11w2d - d&c 5/21/10
    BFP #2 11/6/10 - EDD 7/19/11 - Beta #1 @ 13dpo, 104 - Beta #2 @ 20dpo, 3400s
    BFP #3 4/24/13 - EDD 1/8/14 - Beta #1 @ ?, 33 - Beta #2 @ 4 days later, 260
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageindy_chic:
    I think the main reason it's suggested not to try foods in the evening is due to their moods.  As long as your LO is pleasant (co-operative), I don't think it matters.  HAVE FUN :)  When we first started, I couldn't wait to try new foods.

No, it's because if they have an allergic reaction you want to be awake to spot it.  Since inability to breathe can be a result of an allergic reaction, doctors suggest you try foods earlier in the day so you can monitor your child for any reaction. That being said, it usually takes multiple exposures to get a reaction.  Now, if they're very seriously allergic to something, then it may be obvious on the first shot, but most kids don't show a visible reaction until they've had the substance several times.  

OP, it may be easiest to try new things on the weekends and then have your DCP feed your LO solids at lunchtime.  That way, if you get time to feed him those at night you can, but if not, it's not a big deal.  Realistically, food is for fun and exploration right now, so not feeding them at all one day isn't a big deal.

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"