Pregnant after IF
Options

U/S frequency after graduation from RE

Just curious - how many ultrasounds are you scheduled for prior to the 3rd trimester?  The receptionist at my OB's office just told me that my next u/s will be at 20 weeks (unless we elect a NT Scan prior to week 14).  That just seems crazy to me after having weekly ultrasounds at the RE.  I have an appointment scheduled for next week (I'll be 13 weeks), and it will not include an u/s.  Has your experience been the same or does your OB schedule you for ultrasounds more frequently? thanks!
Aug 11 - Nov11: IUI #1,2,3 & 4 BFN
Jan 12: IVF #1 - BFP!
Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker

Re: U/S frequency after graduation from RE

• Options

It really seems to vary by practice, state, and health insurance what you will get.

We'll be doing the NT scan at 13 weeks-ish, then the anatomy scan at 20 weeks and I will have a higher level ultrasound to check for kidney defects at 24-ish weeks due to my kidney defect potentially being passed to the baby.

Beyond that, I plan to decline all 3rd Tri ultrasounds (assuming the baby is healthy and this stays a low risk pregnancy). Studies have shown they don't improve outcomes in pregnancy at all and actually can be detrimental, for a variety of reasons.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    ccamccam member
    I think that sounds pretty normal.  I just don't think we're used to having such infrequent u/s!!  I have them more often but that's only because I had a LEEP last year, so they need to check cervical length.  If that wasn't the case, I would have been in the same situation you are.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    that's pretty normal.  I was transfered at 7w5d and that was my last u/s.  The OB didn't even have me get one when I started at his office.  Pending no issues or problems, my next u/s is the first trimester screening at 12 weeks, then the ananatomy one at 20, and then one around 38 weeks just to make sure everything is positioned properly. 

• Options
    That sounds exactly like my OB. I get additional ultrasounds to check my cervical length and the growth of the babies, but I wouldn't get them if I weren't expecting twins. With singleton pregnancies, my OB will only do a doppler at the monthly appointments.
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Options
    we had an u/s at weeks: 8, 12, & 20 and that was it!  I miss seeing my baby ~ but not enough to pay for a private u/s.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yup that sounds right. I had one at 8, 12 and 20w too. Although I have been told that I will be getting monthly growth scans starting at 24w because we used ICIS. Nothing was said again so we shall see next week at my appointment. 

We did get an elective u/s done at 17w to find out the sex. It was my dh's 40th birthday and that was what he wanted. It was done at a local. 3d/4d place. We might go back for a 3d one soon, not sure yet.  

TTC since 2006
    Me: 36 DH: 40
    DH dx azoospermia My dx: RA & AMA
    d-IUI's--6/10, 7/13 & 8/4: all BFN
    d-IVF#1--Lupron/Menopur/Bravelle/Novarel; mini-dose protocol
    ER: 10/25--18R; 14F; ET: 10/28--3dt of 2 embies; 3 blasts frozen
    + HPT 11/4; Beta #1--14dp3dt: 441; Beta #2--21dp3dt: 9298
    One beautiful jelly bean growing! Saw h/b on 11/28 and 12/5!!!
    P/SAIF welcome
    <a href="http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b315/mandalinn/?action=view
  • Options
    my situation is a little different because i'm having twins but until i started to have complications i was having an us every 4 weeks. my friend who has a singleton and an uncomplicated pg had only one us at 20 weeks. my practice does the first trimester screening us and then a 20 week one for all singletons. I know it's hard to make the transition from constant monitoring to very little. But on the upside that means your baby is doing great!
  • Options
    That's totally normal. If I hadn't had an sch, plus our NT scan and an appendicitis scare, we wouldn't have had any u/s until the a/s at 18 1/2 weeks, besides the 6 week heartbeat scan with the RE. As it is, I think I've had 7 ultrasounds for this pregnancy!
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat.  My last u/s was with my RE at 8 weeks and I won't have another one until the NT scan at 12 weeks.  So frustrating!  I just want to know that everything is still okay.
  • Options

I did one with my OB at the first appointment which was around 10 weeks and then my next one was the anatomy scan- my office does two, at 17 and 2 1weeks. I think what you heard is pretty normal. 

ETA: I forgot about the NT scan at 12 weeks but we elected to do that.  

• Options
    That's my experience.  My OB offers the NT and anatomy ultrasounds.  That's it, unless there is some problem.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!  I'm glad to hear that this is the norm.  It's such a hard transition coming from regular monitoring with the RE.  We become ultrasound junkies!  ;)
    Aug 11 - Nov11: IUI #1,2,3 & 4 BFN
    Jan 12: IVF #1 - BFP!
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    one

TTC #2 since June '08

~*DD 10.21.07*~

dx unexplained

IUI #1-4 BFN

IVF#1 June 2011 BFN

IVF#2 Dec 2011

Beta#1 12/21 : 812 Beta#2 12/23 : 1634

EDD 8/25

*PAIFW/SAIFW*

• Options
    I have an u/s every 2 weeks (starting at 12 weeks) due to a LEEP and they are also monitoring my c-section scar by u/s

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    We also only had the NT scan at 12 weeks and our anatomy scan is coming up on Friday. That should be it. It's weird to suddenly be treated like every other normal pregnant lady and not get all the extra special attention, isn't it? But I'll take it.  :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Options
    From what I understand, I only get four from my OB: one at the beginning, one for the A/S, one at 24 weeks and one at 32 weeks. I have gotten more because I am high risk, so I get three from there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

That's the same as it is for us.  It's pretty hard to go that long without seeing LO.  The RE definitely spoils us. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"