VBAC

Anyone have success after failure to progress/failed induction?

I am not TTC yet, but I know that I would really like to have a VBAC.  My daughter was born via c-section because we had a failed induction. I was 39 weeks and my doctor scared me into an induction because the baby was "so large." Anyways, I never got past 3cm. I want to believe that it was just from my body not being ready to be in labor yet. I know that failure to dialate reduces the chances of successful VBAC. I am just wondering if anyone has been successful after failing to dialate?? 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Anyone have success after failure to progress/failed induction?

• Just curious, how big did your baby end up being?

It sounds like your body just wasn't ready yet.  To me that is more of a reflection on the limits of medicine than the limits of your body.  We ave had some VBACs on here after failure to progress, have you checked out the VBAC birth stories link?  You can find it in my sticky post at the top of the page. 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageiris427:

Just curious, how big did your baby end up being?

It sounds like your body just wasn't ready yet.  To me that is more of a reflection on the limits of medicine than the limits of your body.  We ave had some VBACs on here after failure to progress, have you checked out the VBAC birth stories link?  You can find it in my sticky post at the top of the page. 

She was a "whopping" 8 pounds 5 ounces. I have (still am) dealing with depression over my c-section. I feel like if I hadn't given into my fear, I could have delivered my baby. I think my body just needed time. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I DID!  My birth story is linked in the VBAC blog that's in the sticky at the top of the page.

I had a failed induction and subsequent C/S with my daughter at 39 and a half weeks (the induction was for a diagnosis of low fluid which was actually incorrect   :-/).  I stalled at 6cm and she was having decels.  I was on pitocin from 1AM to somewhere between 4:30 and 5PM.  She was born at 5:48PM.  Like you, I knew she wasn't ready.  She was also pretty high in my pelvis when they started and she never got to 0 station.  I was on my back in the bed the whole time and I'm sure that didn't help.

I went into labor spontaneously with my son the day after my EDD and I was in labor and pushing with him for about as long as I was on pitocin with her.  I woke up at 2AM to pee and saw bloody show when I wiped and starting have noticeable contractions by 2:30.  I was complete and started pushing at 3PM and delivered him at 5:56PM.  He has been engaged in my pelvis for close to 2 weeks by then, too.

BTW, she was 8 lbs. 4oz. (or 8 even, depending on if you asked the OR scale or the nursery scale) and he was 8 lbs. 6 oz.

Wife, mom, Ob/Gyn resident
    Sarah - 12/23/2008
    Alex - 9/30/2011

"I say embrace the total geek in yourself and just enjoy it. Life is too short to be cool." - Shirley Manson, Garbage
  • Me.  My water broke before labor started at 39w6d with DD, so I was induced with Pitocin.  I stalled at 3ish for a few hours, got coerced into an epi, and long and awful story short... I ended up with a c/s.  She weighed 7 lbs, 1 oz.  

With DS, I went into labor on my own at 41w1d (that's average by the way), and had a successful VBAC.  He weighed 8 lbs, 2oz. 

I can fully support the idea that your body may not have been "ready" for labor.  There are a lot of our birth stories on the VBAC blog created by iris Yes

https://vbacbumpies.blogspot.com/

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• My short story:

Induced at 41 weeks (for no reason other than my CNM being nervous or whatever), foley in the evening, then pitocin for 18 hours.  Stalled at 9cm for 6 hours, got an epi, fetal heart rate decels with contractions, pressured into a c/s.  My medical records say fetal distress/failure to progress.  I think it was failure to wait and the hospital's 50% c/s rate that were the true cause...

Twenty six months later I had 36 hour labor (12+ hours of stalled/slowed labor due to baby's position), followed by a very successful VBAC at home.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"