Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

9 month old won't sleep through the night...ADVICE NEEDED please

My little one has never slept through the night. From day one he hated to be swaddled and has soooooo much energy, he literally never stops moving unless he is down for a nap.

I currently sleep in his room. It seems like he has bad dreams or something. He will sleep for a few hours and then off and on through the night he will whimper then start to cry. I get up and pop a pacifier in his mouth and sometimes he goes back to sleep but he will continue to do this through the night. Some nights he sits up and crys and crys and won't go back to sleep for over an hour. I give him a bottle, change his diaper and try and soothe him back to sleep 

What can I do to get him to sleep better during the night. I am so tired and exhausted from lack of sleep. It's been a long 9 months for me.  

Ione other thing I forgot to point out is sometimes at night I am so tired of getting up and down to soothe him some nights I bring him into bed with me and usually he goes right back out but I would like to start sleeping in the same bed as my husband again lol and want a semi good nights sleep.

Any advice is so appreciated 

Re: 9 month old won't sleep through the night...ADVICE NEEDED please

• Options
    I don't have any great advice, but DS didn't start STTN until 2 days ago (and he is almost 1 yr). Sometimes it takes longer. Good luck and got my fingers crossed for you.
  • Options

DD1 was an awful sleeper-seriously two yrs before she STTN. DD2 great sleeper by 3 mo. I think it's just awful luck on your part (and mine).

Does he respond to white noise? This calmed both of my kids down. Luckily, the nursery was next to a bathroom so I could leave the fan running all night. Also, make sure he's well fed before bed (solids and a bottle) so you can eventually sleep training w/o feeding. Do what you need to do in order to get sleep and break the bad habits later.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would recommend not sleeping in his room.  It could very well be that you are disturbing his sleep with your movements.  :)
  • Options

imagegymnst1013:
    I would recommend not sleeping in his room.  It could very well be that you are disturbing his sleep with your movements.  :)

This.  Sorry, mama!  Good luck! 

• Options

My 9 months old doesn't always STTN but does pretty well. At 9 months they are defiantly old enough to self sooth. We had a really hard time with sleep until LO learned to self sooth. We taught him how to do this by letting him CIO and did regular checks when he did cry so he knew we were still there. He still wakes up 2-3 times a night but I rarely have to go in.  I didn't want to CIO, but we tried all the no cry solutions and nothing was effective.  It was one of the hardest things I've ever done, but truly necessary  in our case. He is a much happier boy and I'm a much happier mom. 

I totally understand wanting to be there every second to help out LO and keep them happy, but sometimes they need to do things on there own, even at this young age. My DH was a great support while we were sleep training and kept reminding me that our LO was safe and was learning how to put himself back to sleep. He know goes down in his crib wide awake and puts himself to sleep. 

I feel for you as I, and pretty much every mom, has been there. Once you pick a plan of action stick to it! that is soooooo important. If you waver, LO will know all he has to do is freak out and you'll give in. Consistency is the hardest part. Good luck and it will get better. 

• Options
    kas80kas80 member
    My 9.5 month old never has either.  I've been told by a lot of people that some babies just take until over a year to STTN, I know it sucks :-( but he may just be a late one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I strongly recommend you get your hands on the Ferber book or healthy sleep habits, happy child and adhere to them like the bible. Those books have worked WONDERS for my two girls and many friends babies too. Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DD is almost a year and she now STTN almost all the time, but she sometimes has bad nights. She didn't even STTN until about 10 months, and it has gotten progressively better. Some kids need to get there in their own time.

As PPs have suggested, you could see if going back to your bedroom will help. 

If it doesn't, can't your DH share the nightime duties? Like alternate sleeping in LO's room? That way you at least get decent sleep every other night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Picture114b Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I also recommend going and sleeping in your room.  Give LO space and only go in if necessary.  DD "STTN" but really she wakes several times but puts herself back to sleep.  As long as I don't have to go and feed or change her or put a binky in (which is most nights) it's a success even if she wakes for a few minutes, rolls around, wines or even lets out a cry.  

I recommend only going in if LO is crying for a minute or two, don't worry about the other stuff.

And, consider reading a book on sleep training.   

• Options
    imagefuzrabbit:

imagegymnst1013:

This.  Sorry, mama!  Good luck! 

This.  And get rid of the paci.  Just get rid of it.  Why are you still sleeping in his room at this age?  I'm not being snarky.  It just doesn't make sense to me. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1) Don't worry about him not sttn. Even for the people who say their kid does, it probably doesn't actually happen, but the kid is able to get themselves back to sleep without waking the parent. So your kid needs a little more help.

2) Dr. Sears has some good info on sleep stuff: https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/8-infant-sleep-facts-every-parent-should-know

3) follow your instincts. You have them, listen to them and forget all else. This motherhood thing isn't a race, it isn't a series of accomplishments to compare to other people or other children. If necessary switch up the sleeping arrangements. If you think he is having bad dreams, he may well be. I think my girl has them as well. I'm not entirely sure what there is "bad" in her life that would lead to such dreams, but she definitely seems to have them.

4) if you find you are bringing him to bed with you, be aware of safe bed sharing arrangements. What would be wrong with you, your son and your husband sharing a bed?

• Options
    UzoUzo member
    imagecesehorn:

1) Don't worry about him not sttn. Even for the people who say their kid does, it probably doesn't actually happen, but the kid is able to get themselves back to sleep without waking the parent. So your kid needs a little more help.

2) Dr. Sears has some good info on sleep stuff: https://www.askdrsears.com/topics/sleep-problems/8-infant-sleep-facts-every-parent-should-know

3) follow your instincts. You have them, listen to them and forget all else. This motherhood thing isn't a race, it isn't a series of accomplishments to compare to other people or other children. If necessary switch up the sleeping arrangements. If you think he is having bad dreams, he may well be. I think my girl has them as well. I'm not entirely sure what there is "bad" in her life that would lead to such dreams, but she definitely seems to have them.

4) if you find you are bringing him to bed with you, be aware of safe bed sharing arrangements. What would be wrong with you, your son and your husband sharing a bed?

This, definitely! My 9-month old does the same exact thing: wakes up crying a couple of times a night and she sleeps with hubby & I.

It might just be our luck that it will take them a little longer to STTN.

Cheers to all sleep-deprived mammas :-)

• Options
    Sounds pretty normal to me.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm having the same issues. She wakes up every 30-60 min in the crib and every couple of hours in bed with me. I don't know how to cut out night nursing. It helps her go back to sleep so I'm going to let her for a while. I keep telling myself she won't BF forever. I tried GNST, but I didn't follow through 100% because of stuff that came up. I don't know how much more energy I can dedicate to sleep training in the hopes that one day I'll get a decent night's sleep. 

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • Options

I have the same issue.

These wonderful women on this sight has given me some great advice!!

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/64621845.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"