Parenting after 35

Acne at 40, NBR

So I'm turning 40 this year and I have developed full-on acne like a teenager.  It's like nature's cruel joke.  I don't just have whiteheads or blackheads, but huge, painful, deep cystic pimples that don't come to a head.  For a while a would get one big pimple a month, but now I have tons.  They are mostly on my cheeks and jawline.  I was at the doctor recently for a sinus infection and I mentioned it to her and she prescribed  clindamycin gel.  She suggested that I use it every other night and alternate with benzoyl peroxide.  Has anyone else been dealing with this?  My skin is so dry and sensitive and I am trying to fight wrinkles.  Now I have to fight acne too! Crying
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Acne at 40, NBR

• Oops.. looks like this posted twice.  Tried to delete one, but it won't go away!  Sorry!
  • Aw, that blows! L uses what your dr prescribed and it works pretty well, his skin is clear. I sneak it every once in a while if I get a few, I wish I had it as a teen. The clindoxyl, I mean.
  • Loading the player...
  • Can't help ya there, but since I was pregnant with Charles, I've found my skin is much different now. 

When I was a teen I would get escema (sp?) on my eyelids... just red, flaky patches.   It's back.  Ugh.

• I'm really sorry you're dealing with this.  It does seem unfair that in our 40's we're still dealing with acne!  I had this type of cystic acne in my mid and late 20's and ended up taking 3x6mo courses of Accutane to bring it under control.  It is a medicine with serious complications for women who get pregnant but it really was amazingly effective for me.   I also had the clindamycin and Retin A as well. All 3 were very drying and I used lotion by the bucket.   I was depressed b/c the cysts would get so big my face looked deformed when I see pictures from that time.  I still have issues with cysts but luckily they seem to pop up less frequently and only 1 at a time now.  I do seem to get them  in places other than my face as well ie my back.  I highly recommend seeing a dermatologist if you haven't already.  They are better prepared to treat this type of acne.
  • I am so glad you wrote this because I was suffering the same thing. I just stopped BF and thought it was due to that but maybe not.  I haven;t created a full plan of attack.  I am trying to remember to moisturize my eyes only at night.  Good luck.
  • I'm nearly 42 and I've been dealing with acne for 30 years! I really understand how you're feeling here. It's terribly unfair.

In my late 20s, I had terrible cystic acne and, like genekelly, took the drug Accutane (the one that causes terrible birth defects). I did two 6 month courses. It's an awful drug and the side effects are your face breaks out worse at first and you get dry eyes and lips--the dry eyes stayed with me, which now is why I can't get Lasik. But I don't regret it, because it really helped my skin and I stopped breaking out on my chest and back.

My skin got better in my late 30s, after I went on birth control pills. That, and Proactiv, really helped.  Proactiv still is a good product. My skin is better now (though not RIGHT now, I'm horribly broken out) and when I do get acne I use the Proactiv and it really helps.

It IS drying and, due to the benzoyl peroxide, can ruin clothes and towels by bleaching them. But those informercials are accurate. It works. 

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"