Preemies
Options

XP: Fired my first nurse. :/ *vent/long*

The nurse we had today, who we've had once or twice before, also had an intern with her, who provided most of the care when we were there for 11am Hands On.  We've had students/interns with our nurses before and we've never had a problem.  I have NO problem with a student/intern, but as a preceptor myself for pharmacy students, I know that ultimately I am responsible for what my student does.

So, we go in at 7:45pm for Adalyn's 8pm Hands On.  I had called twice this afternoon, around 230pm and 6ish to get an update.   They told me that Adalyn had been having a good afternoon--no bradys or anything--and that her oxygen requirement had been between 28-30%. Yay!

So, I had planned to go in and Kangaroo her for an hour after her 8pm Hands On (again, don't want to stress her too much with the outside environment). Well, when we got there, she was crying pretty loud and was moved all the way to the side of the incubator on her tummy.  She was arched back/sideways.  I opened the side to try to soothe her, and that is when I noticed that the entire bed was soaked! It had reached all down her body and the blanket on the mattress and underneath her was damp.  I told the nurse (who had just come on shift at 7pm) and she came in, said "Oh, my god! Let's get that changed immediately! I'm so sorry--I didn't notice it when I first got here!" 

She said that after report, she came in the room about 7:30pm or so and heard her crying a little.  She opened the isolette (from the other side) and calmed the baby.  She said that if she had noticed that she would have immediately changed it and not waited until the 8pm Hands On.  

We determined that the connection from the feeding tube to her NG tube must not have been done correctly, because it was indeed the formula feed that she gets twice a day.  The nurse does not believe that there would be anyway for her to vomit up that much and not have a brady or desat episode.  The nurse was mortified that I found her like that and was starting to change it, and I told her that she could change the bed when I kangarooed her after her 8pm Hands On and that we could just put a clean blanket under her while we changed the diaper, etc. 

Well, when we turned her over, we also saw that she had some massive, dry boogers around her cannulas and that the tape that held the NG tube was covered in dried up/caked formula.  She had dried formula around her eye (very small specks, but there nonetheless) and one of her heartrate probes were damp and barely hanging on to her skin.  The nurse (again, horrified) got some stuff to give Adalyn a mini-sponge bath and get her cleaned up and got her new leads for the ones hanging off. 

So, we got her squared away, did her diaper change, etc, and I noticed that on her monitor that denotes her oxygen saturation, the range had been set "85 to Off".  Basically, the monitor is SUPPOSED to be set "85 to 95" so that it beeps/alerts/flashes when the oxygen is below 85% saturation or over 95% saturation.  If it is higher than 95%--ie, 96% or 97%, for at least a few minutes, the nurse is supposed to wean her down a smidge on her oxygen.  This is very important because at this gestational age, too much oxygen is bad for her eyes and, hello, she already has retinopathy (ROP)--we don't want to make it worse.  The only time it is to be set at "85-OFF" is when it is a term baby or a baby who does not have/not at risk for having ROP and/or is not on supplemental oxygen or is at 21% oxygen, which is room air. 

Never in Adalyn's 7 weeks (man, it's been 7 weeks already!) has Adalyn ever been as low as 21% that I can recall.  And, ESPECIALLY because of her episode last night, I KNOW that she has not been consistently lower than about 30%.  So, there is absolutely NO reason why it should have been set like that.  The night nurse said that it wasn't supposed to be set like that.  She said that the nurse may have set it since Adalyn was always maybe 96% but if she was turned down she would desat, so even though it was off, she kept an eye on it. However, it should not have been set to OFF and she couldn't really explain why.  

So, at this point, I'm starting to get pretty ticked off. However, I tell the night nurse that I would like for her to tell the Charge Nurse that I don't want students/interns ever again for Adalyn.  She said that she totally understands and that she will make sure to tell the Charge Nurse when she comes around.  She apologizes again for what happened, etc.  She changed the settings on the monitor and set me up with Kangarooing Adalyn. 

She goes to set the food pump, and as it starts going I see that she only put to feed Adalyn 24.5ml instead of 31ml.  I ask her if there was a change or something because it's supposed to be 31ml, and she said that in Report (that is when the nurse tells the next nurse about what has happened, etc) he told her that.  I ask her to check in her chart if 31ml has been charted and if he just got confused when talking to her.  She came back and said that it was 31ml and that she is sorry that she didn't double check.  (At this point, I'm wondering where the &*$# the training nurse is when the intern is giving report!)

As I'm Kangarooing Adalyn, she is making the bed and sees that the mattress is wet and decides to disinfect and wipe it all down.  I'm getting more and more convinced that my daughter did not get any of her 5pm feed and did not eat for 6 hours and completely missed out on 24 VERY IMPORTANT calories, not to mention all the calories she must have burned crying because she was hungry. Oh, and don't forget all the calories she burned from being uncomfortable with her drama from last night, getting multiple heel pricks, and getting an IV put in for her transfusion. Angry

So, you must think that I fired the night nurse, right? WRONG! The more that I sat there with DH and we discussed what happened, the more upset we got at the training nurse and the intern.  I'm actually more upset at the training nurse than the intern!

DH and I decided that we no longer want to have ANY students/interns assigned to Adalyn, and that we no longer want this particular nurse to care for our daughter.  In the 7 weeks that we've been there, I've never felt uncomfortable about the care that she received.  I knew that we were going to have to talk to the Charge Nurse ourselves.

So, after about an hour, I asked the night nurse to put Adalyn back in the bed.  I asked her that we wanted to talk to the Charge Nurse.  Keep in mind that during this whole time I let her know how unsettling all this was and how uncomfortable I felt about the care she received from the day nurse.

She called her, told her what had happened, and then she told me that it would be like 10 or 15 minutes because the Charge Nurse was finishing up with an Admission.  The nurse was almost scared to tell us that we would have to wait (am I really that intimidating?) and I said that it wasn't a problem at all.  

Once the Charge Nurse arrived, I explained (and showed) why we were concerned about the care she received today.  I started off by saying that we were concerned about her feed, since it looked like she didn't get any of her 5pm feed, and how no one noticed it in 3 hours.  Do they not check the baby at all? What about when they went back in her isolette to disconnect the tube from her OG tube??  I told her that obviously the student didn't check the connection, but that the responsibility also lies with the trainer for not checking up on her student. 

I also told her about the Monitor settings and how it makes me feel like the nurse just didn't want to be bothered with my daughter's high-satting.  And that even if she did it and "kept an eye on it", she didn't let the night nurse know that she had changed the parameters. Who knows how long she would be high-satting and the night nurse not notice it? Especially after all her MDs and other nurses harp on the importance of not having too much oxygen, for me to find this, it is quite unsettling, frustrating, and upsetting.

I told the Charge Nurse that I no longer want any students/interns assigned to Adalyn, and that I also do not want the nurse that we had today to ever take care of my daughter again.  I'm sure that she is a great nurse, she is a trainer and all, but she was not a great nurse to my daughter today, and that is something that I just won't be able to get past.  

The Charge Nurse apologized for everything and said that she appreciates the feedback, because it could be that the trainer thought that the intern was pretty much trained, and that obviously that is not the case.   She said that she knows that we've been very accommodating with students since she was admitted, but that she understands that once you get burned, you never want them again.  She said that she will note it, as well as the nurse, from being assigned to Adalyn. 

She tried to say that the Monitor could be if she was at 21% Room Air, and I stopped her explanation right there when I told her that our daughter has never been at 21% in her entire life.  She then said that it was also the responsibility of the incoming nurse to check to make sure that all the parameters are correct, but that the monitor should not have been set at "85-OFF". 

She said that after making sure the baby is ok, our next concern is to make sure that the parents feel that their baby is being well taken care of.  They don't want us to worry about the kind of care that our baby is receiving.  She told me that all of my concerns were valid and would be addressed, and that she will make a note regarding not placing that nurse, or any other students/interns, with our baby again. 

I told her that I'm not trying to be nit-picky or difficult and that these were not life-and-death situations, but that it was my child, and it was just too many balls dropped.  It made me worry about what else could they drop.  Even though she is in the Step Down unit, it is STILL the NICU.  She said that it isn't as if we were upset about a blanket not being tucked in--all that happened should not have happened.  

I'm so glad that I'm such an observant mom and that I question all that is happening in my child's care.  What if I never said anything? What if this intern isn't as nit-picky as he should be, and/or this trainer isn't as observant, and something happens to someone's child when the matter IS life-and-death? When you are taking care of preemies, you can't just be blase about it--you can't be "ish" about it.  You've got to be OCD/anal retentive ALL THE TIME.  If you don't want to, then don't be a NICU nurse!

You can't mess with the care of someone's baby.   Perhaps when she was training him, things just got missed, because they're talking about something else.  I'm sure that's why my daughter was covered in dried boogers on her cannuals. Missing little things can add up to big things.  Also, when I see that you're missing little things, I don't trust you, and therefore you give DH and I more stress, which after last night, WE DO NOT NEED! We've got enough stress--we sure as hell don't need more!

Ok, rant over.  Sorry I've got no pics of Adalyn tonight.  We did put her in clothes, but she has to be in the hospital one because of her IV.  They're all blue, and I'm happy to say that she looks good in blue also! Smile   I'll try to take a pic tomorrow.
TTC Since July 2008.
Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
FET 1 3/2013 BFN
FET 2 5/2013 BFN
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: XP: Fired my first nurse. :/ *vent/long*

• Options

Oh wow! How upsetting. You did such a great job handling it. Good job mama. Yes

Glad to hear Adalyn is doing better today.

image image image

• Options

That stinks. It sounds like you handled it well though, and I'm glad the charge nurse agreed that this was all unacceptable. I really feel like at some point during a long NICU stay it is inevitable to have an experience like this. And I remember how upsetting they are.  We occasionally had days like this (where it seemed like ball after ball was dropped and care was lacking) and luckily nothing bad happened. It is really not acceptable though.  Sorry you had to experience this too. Sounds like you are being a great advocate for Adalyn. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh WOW! That is so wrong and I am glad you took care of it. As you said you can't mess with the care of someone's child. We have had bad nurses too and I now exactly how you feel,but they way they kinda neglected her from what I read it totally not okay.
    Married to Brandon since 2/14/06
    Twin Girls born on January 1st 2012:Brooklyn Avery(Brooke) & Eliana Meredith(Ellie)
    Ellie and Brooke both have Juvenile Diabetes
    Adopted a Brother and Sister in January of 2012
    Levi Ryan-October 25th 2007 and Caroline Paige(Carly)-July 23rd 2009
    Jonah Samuel born April 21st 2013
    Expecting Baby #6-June 2014!
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, I got so angry reading all those mistakes.  You handled it very well.  I would have been so angry that I just cried.
  • Options

I agree with the PP - you really handled it well - I would have gone ballistic on them and they would have had to ask me to leave. lol.  I think you handled it really well - I had a bad issue with a NICU nurse coughing and hacking into her hand and then reaching into Wesley's incubator to adjust his IV and touching him - then taking him out and Kissing him in front of me when I asked her to wash her hands... Yeah - she didn't care for any babies for two weeks after that - she was on admissions only.  

Good for you momma! Way to care for your cub! And I think it is just terrible that what happened happened. :( 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Wow, what an amazing story.  I know I am brand new here, so you don't really know me, but I am truly impressed with how well you handled all of that.  My DS has only been in the NICU for 4 days now, so I don't even feel like I could wrap my head around all of the knowledge you seemed to have gathered over your 7 weeks there so far.  My son was born at 25 weeks, so we'll be in there for the long haul, but I truly hope I never have to face a situation like this.  I agree with you 100 % on how unsettling that would be, I you definitely did the right thing.  Good for you for sticking to your guns and knowing your daughter better than anyone else.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I would have been extremely pissed too and you are not wrong to feel that way! When we were in the "step-down" NICU at Brigham before we were transferred I came in and our nurse was "no where to be found". Ethan was laying under the bili lights and he had puked (laying in it) and he had an enormous poop that was pretty stuck to his skin. I talked to the nurse who said "ohh he must have just done that". I don't think so! I was really upset about it. My son ended up with a horrid diaper rash from that poop too. I was glad when we moved to a different hospital where they were treated like VIP's and there were only 5 beds on special care! 

Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    DrRxDrRx member

imagedaphne814:
    Wow, what an amazing story.  I know I am brand new here, so you don't really know me, but I am truly impressed with how well you handled all of that.  My DS has only been in the NICU for 4 days now, so I don't even feel like I could wrap my head around all of the knowledge you seemed to have gathered over your 7 weeks there so far.  My son was born at 25 weeks, so we'll be in there for the long haul, but I truly hope I never have to face a situation like this.  I agree with you 100 % on how unsettling that would be, I you definitely did the right thing.  Good for you for sticking to your guns and knowing your daughter better than anyone else.
    As cliche as it sounds, knowledge is power.  You just have to be careful to not let knowledge freak you out, you know? I want to know why my daughter is getting the care she is--what is the reasoning. You will be the most constant caregiver of your child. 

I hope that your little boy won't face anything like this.  If you ever have any questions or just want to vent/chat, please feel free to PM me.  Being a preemie mom is hard, and this board is awesome.  Talking and connecting to other preemie moms makes the journey easier. 

TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
  • Options
    That is really an ordeal and really upsetting! It sounds like you handled it great, and they were receptive to your concerns. Hopefully that training nurse will get an earful about it, if not formally reprimanded.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options

Good job, Mama!  Nurses just can't have a bad day when our LOs are in their care.

On the flip side, if there is a nurse that takes great care of Adalynn and does a wonderful job- make sure that you tell the charge nurse and ask to have that nurse assigned to your baby as often as the schedule allows.  There is a certain peace that comes with having a trusted nurse on duty.

Best of luck to you and your beautiful little girl!

• Options
    Thank goodness you are vigilant and observant. *hugs* I'm sorry you all had to go through that and I hope the training nurse is reprimanded.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Your experience makes me so angry and sad for you!  I'm glad you spoke up and handled it in such a good way.  One of my worst NICU failures was they were just a couple weeks old and I found a syringe of another mother's BM in my baby's isolette.  It was almost worst that I was the one that found it and had to confront the nurse who's reaction was to grab it from me, rip off the label, put it in her pocket and walk away from me.  I'm not sure what happened to her but we never had her in our nursery again.  Thank goodness nothing bad came of it, but still infuriating.  It's already hard enough being a NICU mommy and having to trust their lives to strangers.  I hope this never ever happens again to Ms. Adalyn!

• Options

Sorry you had to deal with all that! Sooo frustrating!!!!!

I'm curious what your 'remembering blueberries babies' means?? do u mind me asking?

IVF - 9/09 - BFN! :( IVF #2 - ER 3/16; ET 3/18 with one embryo Beta 3/30 -- BFN! :( IVF #3 - 5/10 - BFN! IVF #4 - 11/10 - BFP. m/c at 6weeks :( FET #1 - 2/11 - BFP. beta on 2/21 :) Thank you God! :) u/s on 3/7 showed TWINS! u/s on 3/11 TWO heartbeats! Couldn't be happier :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"