Special Needs

How do you organize LO's therapy carryover?

Hi ladies,  

I haven't been an active poster, but was hoping maybe one of you can help me organize myself. Both of y kids have SN.  And I work in the office part time. How do you organize yourself with your LO's therapy carryover?  I am considering making a binder with all of the suggestions, but was wondering if any of you had a different suggestion. It's hard to fit it all in!  I realize I can't do all the suggestions all the time, but I am trying to find that balance.  Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks! 

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: How do you organize LO's therapy carryover?

• My mind without coffee is worthless - what do you mean by therapy carryover?
  • I mean what each therapist suggests you do at home.  On off therapy hours.  I know some can be integrated into daily routines, but I feel like I lose some. And therefore they don't get done.  Just trying to organize myself, as well as others that care for my LO's when my husband and I are at work.  Trying to juggle it all is starting to get overwhelming. Thanks! 

imageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I struggle with the same thing!  My daughter is cared for by 3 different nurses throughout the work week.  And, she recieves 3-4 different therapies each week.  It has been hard to keep all of it organized in my head.

I did create a therapy binder for her.  At the end of each session I ask the therapists to write up 3 things we should work on throughout the week.  When we get home from therapy, those write ups go right into her binder.  I ask the nurses to check the binder regularly but it has been a hard habbit for them to adopt.

For my part, when I get home from work I do the exercises with my daughter that I can remember.  After dinner, I check the binder to see if there are any exercises I forgot and I try to do those in the last 30 minutes before bedtime.  But, I know I need to re-vamp my schedule because the therpy I forget about most is Speech (eating issues).  And, it is hard to work on feeding when she just ate.

This past week one of therapists suggested we take pictures of each exercise with our phones.  I like this idea and I think we are going to try it.  In particular, it provides a visual reference for me and the nurses.  I just wish I could get my hands on a polaroid camera.  I'm thinking it is going to be such a hassel trying to print each picture out after each session.

image      image      image
  • To the OP: What about getting one of those multi-subject notebooks? You know, the ones you get for school that is divided into 3 or 5 sections. You could do 1 section for each therapy. You could do this also by buying a 3-ring binder, loose leaf paper to put in the binder, and divider tabs. You could also use page protectors if needed.

To JoJo: In regards to taking pictures, you could easily take pictures with your digital camera of each step and then take your card to Walgreen/Target/Wal-mart (etc) and print them out individually or upload them to a service like Snapfish or something where you can order them from there. It would be a hassle, but once you have the exercises you have them in general to use in any order you want. You could also ask the therapist for 1 piece of "homework" a week for each therapy (so you don't get overloaded) and then once all therapy is over, take them to wherever to get them printed and use those exercises for that following week. Not sure if that made sense! It may be hard for the nurses to get everything in because there are so many exercises you are wanting them to do? Maybe have them choose 1 or 2 to really focus on in a week. I know for me that I only ask for 1 exercise per week when I remember to ask. DS2 has 4 different therapies (PT, OT, feeding, speech) so that gives me 4 exercises to focus on per week vs say 12 exercises if I asked for 3 things per therapist per week. 4 is a little more doable and I don't get as overwhelmed trying to remember everything or trying to get it all in. Or if you want to keep 3 exercises per therapist per week, maybe you focus on 3-4 per day vs all 12 (for example) every day.

• I have a refrigerator write-on wipe-off board. I will write down needed therpay activities there. This way DH has some responsibility too and knows what we should be working on.
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"