Blended Families
Options

I'm one sad mama

SD calls me by my first name, we thought that was the most appropriate thing when DH and I first met.  SD was 2 and her mother is still very much in the picture. 

When DS was born I knew we were going to have issues at some point down the road with DS wanting to call me holly instead of mama, from what I have read every child goes through it at some point. 

DS is 2 and SD is 5.  last night at dinner SD said 'thank you for cooking dinner holly' and DS mimicked her in his adorable 2 yr old babble 'thank you for cooking dinner holly' I calmly corrected him and told him my name was mama.  all throughout dinner he kept calling me holly... "more pasta holly", "all done holly" and every time I corrected him that my name was mama.

I don't think he gets it, why SD is allowed to call me holly but he has to call me mama and I feel like he thinks I'm punishing him for calling me holly, I'm not trying to but I was legit in tears by the end of dinner, we don't have this issue with DH because they both call him dad. 

the issues I'm having is that I feel like it would be so much more easily corrected if SD wasn't around/didnt call me holly.  I know this is awful, and hopefully its just the pregnancy hormones.  I know I would have this issue at some point even if SD wasn't in the picture but I feel like it would be much easier to correct if DS wasn't watching his sibling call me something other than mama. 

anyone been through something similar??

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I'm one sad mama

• Options
    He was copying his big sister and thought it was funny. Unless he starts doing it ALL THE TIME, I wouldn't worry about it. He knows that you are his mommy.
  • Options

My son is the same age as yours and he would understand if I told him that his half sisters have a different mama.  If I were you I would just tell him that SD has a mama and she is so and so.  I am your mama.  I personally don't see a problem with that because it is the truth. 

Otherwise my son has occasionally called me by my first name.  The time he did it the most is when I broke up with my ex and moved in with my sister and since all of my family was around all the time calling me by my first name he started doing it too.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but like I said I see no reason why you can't explain to him that you are his mom and SD's mom is so and so.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Can SD start calling you Mama Holly or Mama H? I personally don't think kids should call adults by their first names but I didn't meet SS til he was 5 so he calls me by my first name too. 

I mention this only to empathize that I would not be ok at all with any child other than SS, especially my bio child calling me by my first name. I'm sorry :( 

• Options
    When I went back to work full time, DS started calling me daddy occasionally. At that point, his dad was the one who was around him more, picking him up from school, etc. DS was just used to saying the word daddy a lot more often because I was gone and dad was there. Yeah, it hurts my feelings...it's one of those things. I don't let it show, though.
  • Options

My DS called my DH by his first name because he always heard me calling him that.  I thought it was funny.  He would say hey X can I have some milk please and things like that.  It's totally normal even if you don't have a blended family. 

Try not to let this hurt your feelings.  Ina a few years  he tells you that you aren't his friend and he doesn't like you.  Toddlers years are fun.  :-)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

First, kids do this. Monkey has called DH Chief, becuase that is what everyone at work calls him.  But at the end of the day...it's daddy give me a hug.  

Second, your Stepchild has a different mother. Explain it to your child and move on. It's nothing to hide, be ashamed of and needs to be addresses sooner, rather than later.  

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    If he keeps doing it and you keep reacting to it, he's going to continue to do it.  If he's asking you for something or calling you Holly, ignore it.  Don't give him what he's asking for until he's addressed you properly.  It'll go away :)
  • Options
    DS calls me by my name sometimes and DH by his name sometimes. Every kid does it. I would not get your feelings hurt over it.
    DD(14),SD(13),SS(11),SS(9),DS(3)

• Options

DD is the same age. She started by calling DH by his first name. Then it progressed to me and her grandparents. I know its because my son calls my husband and his parents by their first names and she is copying. When she does it to me for example, I just reminder her that to her I am Mommy and only Daddy can call me Amy. We handle it the same for everyone. We remind her once and then drop it. The more attention you give him for doing it the more he will do it. After all, at that age the biggest reward is mommy's attention. No matter how he gets it.

BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageriabiron:
    He was copying his big sister and thought it was funny. Unless he starts doing it ALL THE TIME, I wouldn't worry about it. He knows that you are his mommy.

This.  And if you had a niece or nephew that stayed for the week the same thing would have happened and you would not feel hurt.  Seriously, move on is my best advice.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    I met DH when DS1 was almost two. SS and SD call me by my first name and they call DH daddy. DS1 started calling DH and I what they did. I would correct him every time. I knew he was just calling me what every one else was but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little hurt. SS and SD were only here EOW so he didn't hear them all the time. DH started calling me mommy when he was talking to or about me when DS was around even if it was to SS and SD. DS got the hang of it and started calling me mommy.
  • Options
    Delurking to say - for a while, my 2yo DD called me "Mama Diane" all the time.  She thought it was hilarious.  There's no other "mama" or SC or anything - she just hears other people call me by my first name.  She's grown back out of it.  I wouldn't worry too much about it...
  • Options
    I know I'm days late for this one, but I just wanted to add that My DS1 calls me and my husband by our first names sometimes.  He has heard SS call me by my first name and other families members call DH by his and he picked up on it.  We just correct him every time. I was concerned about how this would go before DS1 was born, especially since SS lives with us.  I'm ok with it.  DH gets more upset being called by his first name than I do. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"