Military Families

Eglin AFB Moms??

Hey ladies, we're PCSing to Eglin this summer....how is the hospital? L&D? How far away is Navarre *really* from Eglin?

Any other mom's on here expecting in the fall?

KEEP CALM and LATCH ON!

dee & bee
mom & dad to 3 boys!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Eglin AFB Moms??

• DH and I do not have any children yet but I thought I could answer some questions about the area if you needed to know anything. We are at the companion base Hurlburt Field. Navarre is about 30 minutes away from Hurlburt which is about 20 minutes from Eglin
  • We lived  just this side of the Navarre / Fort Walton Beach boarder and DH worked in Eglin. Going to work in the mornings could take 30-40 minutes with traffic.  

The worse was the afternoon traffic.  In the 1.5 years we were there, there were three  4+ hour long traffic Staus due to accidents on 98. One was 6 hours long.  This is becuase the cops won't open up on of the opposite directional lanes on 98 to move the traffic around.  However, there is supposed to be an overpass that will help with this, so we shall see. (we go back to our house there in 6 months).

I actually dis-enrolled for Prime and used TRICARE Standard and a civilian OB at the FWB Hospital.  Given I would have literally driven past the FWB hospital to go an additional 10+ miles to the base seems goofy to me.  

Plus, I was high risk, but caught up in the "OB team" approach.  If I am labeled high risk, then being seen by the same provider each visit is the smarter way to go.  

Pas for living down 98, I would not change our location except for ONE thing.  We did not have custody of SS, so we didnt look at the school district.  I wish we were a mile further west and actually into Navarre schools.  

I love living along the coast becuase it is usuall 5 degrees cooler, less humidity, a nice breeze and when the rains come in, not as strong as the north (crest view, etc). But for schools, especially middle and highschools, Niceville and Valpariso is where you want to go.   

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • imageIlovemyAirmanforever:
    DH and I do not have any children yet but I thought I could answer some questions about the area if you needed to know anything. We are at the companion base Hurlburt Field. Navarre is about 30 minutes away from Hurlburt which is about 20 minutes from Eglin

That is not entirely true.  It is only 8 miles from the Navarre Walmart to the South/East Entrance of Hurlburt and 19 miles to the South Entrance of Eglin. Granted, the further west you go in Navarre, the further out you are going to be, but that distance will increase for the trip to Eglin, since you have to drive eastward on 98 and then north on any of the northbound roads on the other side of Hurburt Field.  The overpass was never going to go across the reservation.

As I said before, I LOVE living out that way.  I love being centrally located between Pensacola, Destin and Eglin.  And while the traffic of 98 is a pain, I am from the National Capital Region, so for me its actually a breeze (see all things are relative). 

Other than the crappy middle and highschools, any negatives are totally outweighed by the positives.

• Thanks Ilumine. Sorry OP. I have not driven from Eglin before just with DH. So there is another way to get to 98 without having to go down Beal prkwy from Eglin?
  • DH was stationed at Eglin for 3 years and I worked in the pharmacy in the hospital and satellite for 1 year. When we first moved there we lived in Navarre (just before the Wal-Mart). Traffic was horrible and DH absolutely hated driving to and from work everyday. We didn't know how bad it was until after we moved. After about a year we moved to Fort Walton and lived about 5-10 minutes from Eglin. It was between Wal-Mart and the golf course in Fort Walton by the college. Sorry I cannot remember the exact name of the street, maybe Beal Pkwy. Anyway, we were much happier living in Fort Walton than in Navarre. We also spent most of our time on the weekends in Destin so it was nice to be closer to everything.

• DH was stationed at Eglin for 3 years and I worked in the pharmacy in the hospital and satellite for 1 year. When we first moved there we lived in Navarre (just before the Wal-Mart). Traffic was horrible and DH absolutely hated driving to and from work everyday. We didn't know how bad it was until after we moved. After about a year we moved to Fort Walton and lived about 5-10 minutes from Eglin. It was between Wal-Mart and the golf course in Fort Walton by the college. Sorry I cannot remember the exact name of the street, maybe Beal Pkwy. Anyway, we were much happier living in Fort Walton than in Navarre. We also spent most of our time on the weekends in Destin so it was nice to be closer to everything.

Oh and the hospital is pretty nice. It's been about 3 1/2 years since we were stationed there but it was nice. I cannot say anything about L&D though because I had our son after we moved.

• Thanks for the info ladies. My husband will be working in Pensacola and we're kinda stuck on which mid-way point to live in: Crestview or Navarre. We decided Navarre because if we're gonna be at the beach we might as well BE at the beach, you know? We'll have to think about the middle school situation because we'll be there when our oldest moves up......

llumine, I never thought about switching tricares...I will have to check out both hospitals when we arrive...hmmmmm.

Thanks for the info ladies!!! Keep in touch and maybe we can meet up sometime!!

• FYI depending on where you live in Navarre area you can qualify to go off base for pediatrics and your primary care while still on Prime. However they will make you drive to eglin for maternity care (or Pensacola NAS again depending on your location). So I switched to standard and picked my own doctor, and because I picked a doctor that billed globally my whole pregnancy and delivery I paid 130 bucks.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My husband and I just moved from Eglin about 8 months ago. I worked in the ICU on the 3rd floor. The L&D is down the hall from the ICU on the 3rd floor. When you get out of the elevators, it's off to the left. The L&D stays pretty busy and they're very good. I'd feel comfortable with them doing my delivery, etc.

As far as Navarre, it depends on where. It can take anywhere from 12 mins-25 or 30 depending on traffic. How far away from Hurlburt Field will you guys be?

H. Mestey US Air Force
  • imagemabreysofthe80s:

Thanks for the info ladies. My husband will be working in Pensacola and we're kinda stuck on which mid-way point to live in: Crestview or Navarre. We decided Navarre because if we're gonna be at the beach we might as well BE at the beach, you know? We'll have to think about the middle school situation because we'll be there when our oldest moves up......

llumine, I never thought about switching tricares...I will have to check out both hospitals when we arrive...hmmmmm.

Thanks for the info ladies!!! Keep in touch and maybe we can meet up sometime!!

I LOVE Navarre.  I really wish we had chosen the house 3/4 miles further west so we would be in Navarre proper...not Florosa.  That way my SS could go to Navarre schools. 

Just the ocean breezes in the hight of the summer heat is enough to keep me on the shore...hurricanes be damned.

• Idealy we want to rent a home somewhat close to 98, in that area of Navarre. But I think it'll come down to the house and price. My husband is going to be an Army Recruiter in Pensacola and I'm active duty AF, going to Eglin. Navarre is the perfect "in the middle" location...and close to the beach which is one reason we picked FL. 30 mins is not bad, better than what hubby does now and only 10 mins longer for me.

We're excited and just ready to be there...we'd be TTC since January and found out we were expecting the day before he left TDY to SC for school. We're waiting until he comes back to tell family and all that good stuff :)...4 May seems so far away! But right after that, we'll be packing up and moving out!

P.S. You'll see me on the beach...the pale white pregnant lady with two pale little boys! lolol

KEEP CALM and LATCH ON!

dee & bee
    mom & dad to 3 boys!
  • My husband is stationed at Eglin I don't care for the hospital because it is a training base for doctors so I am switching off base for my pregnancy. I'm due November 22 and Navarre is about 45 minutes away from Eglin not a smart place to live stationed on Eglin because there is only one way to work and its a small highway called hwy 98 and it has horrible traffice in the morning and can often double the time it takes to get to work. I suggest Fort Walton Beach, Niceville, Shalimar, or Valparaiso. Avoid Destin as well it is also far and expensive. Crestview is cheap but far from Eglin and most civilization. Avoid base housing at all costs!!!

• imageGidget1330:

My husband is stationed at Eglin I don't care for the hospital because it is a training base for doctors so I am switching off base for my pregnancy. I'm due November 22 and Navarre is about 45 minutes away from Eglin not a smart place to live stationed on Eglin because there is only one way to work and its a small highway called hwy 98 and it has horrible traffice in the morning and can often double the time it takes to get to work. I suggest Fort Walton Beach, Niceville, Shalimar, or Valparaiso. Avoid Destin as well it is also far and expensive. Crestview is cheap but far from Eglin and most civilization. Avoid base housing at all costs!!!

Gidget1330, we're due on the same day!  How funny is that?!

How about the school districts? Which ones are the better ones, in your opinions? We're looking into Crestivew too but are very undecided...we just need to drive it ourselves and decide what we can put up with. I hate traffic and will likely upgrade my car to a minivan just to be more comfortable for the ride to/from work. For those whose husbands are stationed at Eglin, what units are they in?

KEEP CALM and LATCH ON!

dee & bee
    mom & dad to 3 boys!
  • My husband and I are PCSing in mid May. We have a house in Crestview, but struggled with the same choices as you. I am due early December and also plan on checking out by on and off base options. Keep me posted in what you find and I'll do the same. Good luck with the move!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"