Eco-Friendly Family

EF/food-based food coloring

Any recommendations? I know I could just use things like berry juice to color but looking for something that won't flavor the food like that would and more color options. I'm thinking about using unsweetened whipped cream for DS's 1st b-day cake and would like it to have color.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: EF/food-based food coloring

• I would think if the juice was concentrated enough you wouldn't have to use much of it for color, so the flavor wouldn't change -- at least in a way that is overpowering.

There are also natural food colorings.

• Pinterest has tons of alternatives from gross conventional food dyes.  Lots are really vibrant and pretty!
  • Loading the player...
  • I was searching for some ready made ones for DD's 1st Birthday cake. There are a few companies that make them, this one seems to be the most popular -  https://www.indiatree.com/Detail_Page.php?Category=NC&Subcategory=NC_Decorating_Colors&Name=Decorating_Colors&ID=208

It was a little out of my budget so instead I made an apple carrot cake with maple cream cheese frosting. I found sprinkles at whole foods made with vegetable based dyes.

"Sometimes the littlest things take up the most room in your heart" Winnie the Pooh

• What colors are you looking for? 

Yellow = just a bit of turmeric in cold water to get a concentrated solution.

Pink = water from steamed beets

Green = just a dash of powdered spirulina [blue-green algae] 

Purple = water from boiled red cabbage, maybe add some beet 

Blue = water from boiled red cabbage plus salt. the salt makes it blue.

Goldenrod = boil the dry outer skins of yellow onion.

The less water you use the more concentrated your colors will be. Have fun! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely wanting more than the limited colors berry juice can make, esp. for DS's cake w/ blue, green, and yellow. Might need to experiment a bit beforehand.

I'm still debating what kind of cake- whether carrot like pp mentioned or I might just do a stack of his favorite ww pancakes w/ the whipped cream. 

• We had a brunch for his celebration and did a french toast casserole with fresh berries on the side.
    PitaPata Cat tickers
  • I used stale turmeric for yellow and it worked out great. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"