2nd Trimester

does anyone know if shrimp tempura is safe to eat?

i know you can't eat raw sushi but have been wondering about shrip tempura rolls. In my "what to expect when you're expecting" book it says that cooked sushi is ok but i'm still a little scared to eat some.

Re: does anyone know if shrimp tempura is safe to eat?

• Yes, the shrimp is cooked and is safe to eat.
  • Yes. Cooked shrimp is safe to eat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's safe in and of itself. There is concern in some quarters about the possibility of cross contamination with cooked sushi - i.e., the possibility of the same knives etc., being used in the preparation of both the raw and cooked sushi. But if the shrimp tempura doesn't come in the form of sushi, it should be perfectly fine... also if you make your shrimp tempura sushi at home or get it at a trusted restaurant, you're fine.

• Shrimp tempura is deep fried, even if it had any parasites beforehand, the 350 degree boiling oil zapped the sh!t out of it.

imageimageimage
  • Shrimp tempura is cooked, so yes, it's fine! I've eaten raw sushi while pregnant, my OB doesn't have a problem with it as long as it's from a reputable place and eaten in moderation. I'll most likely get flamed for that comment, but I look at it this way - pregnant Japanese women have eaten it for centuries, and their population is just fine!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We went for sushi last night and it was glorious! Beisdes tempura and veggies, just ask the waitress which items are not raw. There were actually quite a few yummy options for me. Mmmmm!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• Actually, some will argue that you can have raw sushi, I just wouldn't- personally. 

I have had shrimp tempura several times during this pregnancy and its fine. It's cooked shrimp, so don't worry.  

• I have had cooked sushi several times during the pregnancy.  It is very yummy.  I won't touch the raw stuff though unless I am not pregnant.  
  • I agree with most of the comments about the tempura. I dont see why it wouldnt be safe. What I have more of an issue with is that book your reading. In my personal experience and my friends, it makes mothers-to-be paranoid and scared of everything thier doing during pregnancy and every possible scenario. But thats my opinion. Read some online reviews. :)

~?~ Chellezy ~?~ Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Cat tickers
  • Shrimp tempura is perfectly fine. My dr gives a bug NO on sushi but as long as its cooked, she says its perfectly fine. Unagi (eel) is also cooked as well as soft shell crab. I'm on the fence about smoked salmon. It just doesn't look right to me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMeli09:
    Shrimp tempura is perfectly fine. My dr gives a bug NO on sushi but as long as its cooked, she says its perfectly fine. Unagi (eel) is also cooked as well as soft shell crab. I'm on the fence about smoked salmon. It just doesn't look right to me.

I was told no smoked fish/salmon by my doc :(

To the OP~ Shrimp tempura is cooked & deep fried, why wouldn't it be ok?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"