Special Needs

Ideas for my 8 year old that has zero interest in sports...

I need help in figuring out what to do with my 8 year old.  He has no interest in doing any team sport and is generally not very "athletic".  He's tall and looks capable, but is very uncoordinated and slow is responding to the quickness of sports so hasn't faired well in that area.

Here's the problem.  Weekends roll around and he's got nothing to do.  We have trumpet every other weekend, and sometimes cub scout stuff, but other than that, it's an open slate.  He did have a sleepover last night and is tired today, but, literally just wants to sit around on the couch.  It drives me nuts!

I just don't understand how a kid can't entertain himself.  It's beautiful here in MPLS today, gonna be 80, and most kids are outside at soccer practice, riding their bikes, etc.  He just wants to sit around.

So, I know we need to facilitate the process, but everything I bring up I get a "sure" response to.  There is not one thing that he is like "YES, I really want to do that!).  So, I don't like the idea of putting the time and money into something that he is only going to do because we're making him, basically.

What is the best activity he can be in that will help with his development in the areas of getting the necessary acitiivty for proper growth and life/social skills. 

BTW, we tried karate, and he was zoned out most of the time.

Thanks! 

Re: Ideas for my 8 year old that has zero interest in sports...

• We got DS a trampoline. He loves it.
  • I completely disagree with pp saying sports are necessary to be socially competent. I'm a grown woman who couldn't hit a baseball to save her life and I'm perfectly competent. Have you tried things other than sports? Maybe an art class or something? One of my special needs clients loves photography and it's the easiest way to get him outside and engaged in the world.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • image-auntie-:

I'm a firm believer in sports for their social value. Especially for boys who will be educated in the mainstream where sport skills are social currency. He should be taught a modest level of basics because they are zero order skills for tweens and not being able to engage in certain things is stigmatizing.

For social competency, you'll want swimming, biking, the ability to at least throw, catch and hit a baseball, dribble and shoot a basketball and toss a Frisbee. Because most kids on spectrum have hypotonia to some degree, stamina is something to work on as it will pay off in other areas of his life.

For my own DS, individual sports and activities seem more appealing. Hiking and rock climbing have a "heavy work" joint compression piece that can address sensory issues. DS also enjoys weight training, so look for that after puberty. DS is a decent shot whether using rifles, shotguns or pistols. He's also good at archery. He's an OK golfer who would be happy on the driving range. He also enjoys boating and canoeing.

Other people I know have had success with yoga, gymnastics and horseback riding as well as the oft suggested martial arts.

I completely agree- totally makes sense!  Thanks for the suggestions.

• DS is still much younger that your guy at 4yo, but I can see his inner laziness emerging. He loves riding his bike and I encourage that, but he'll get tired and ask me to push him. We joined the Y this winter and it has been great. I don't know how he'd fare in the Y's soccor program (I think he'd zone out like your DS) but he loves swimming. He'd swim every day if I let him. DS doesn't really have a special interest per se unless you count water features- (he wants a new sprinkler for his birthday)- so we go hiking at Minnehaha Falls or along the creek. He's happy just playing at playgrounds too, so we do that quite a bit. This weather is the best!
  • imageDawnMarie11:
    I completely disagree with pp saying sports are necessary to be socially competent. I'm a grown woman who couldn't hit a baseball to save her life and I'm perfectly competent. Have you tried things other than sports? Maybe an art class or something? One of my special needs clients loves photography and it's the easiest way to get him outside and engaged in the world.

Boys/men are different.  It's not PC to say that but it is true.

Boys socialize themselves through physical activity.  Show me a little boy who can't ride a bike and I'll show you a little boy who spends a lot of time alone.

Little boys social structures are generally built around sports and physical activity of some kind.

To the OP: have you tried gymnastics?  Or trampolining? Swim lessons?

• Art-- in high school this is how I tended to make friends. 

Drama

Cooking

Reading

Computer skills

Individual physical activities.  For the uncoordinated an activity that is more individual may be a good idea-- this can be things like weight lifting  or yoga or bike/trike riding etc.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"