Preemies
Options

Twins home as of Monday <: and a question!

So our Allison passed her car seat test on Sunday and we got to bring Ethan and Allison home Monday <: Allison weighed in at 4lbs, 1oz!! Ethan was 5lb 10oz (piglet). We didn't need a car bed because she passed her car seat test!! We are settling in, although it's really hard with hardly any sleep!! My MIL came over yesterday and I went out and laid in the sun for 2 hours and fell asleep (it was 75 here in Mass!!)

My question is about nipples for feeding, I bought some Dr. Brown's and Lil Sprout 2 oz bottles, the nipples are a lot slower feed than the nipples they used in the NICU. Would newborn nipples be the one's I need and any certain kind recommended?  I've been feeding her breast milk mostly fortified because doctor recommended she get what I could provide because she was IUGR. He is formula fed and I put him to breast also. I'm not sure I can keep up with the breast pumping as it's so tiring to me and my supply is only enough for her but I will continue to put them to breast and give them what I can and she is getting some formula now because I had a few "low" times.  Also, my stupid "hospital pump" Medela Symphony got milk in the tubes in the middle of the night and I had to "hand pump" with a non-electric back-up which hurts like hell! It really stressed me out >:  Anyways, he does well with regular nipples and she does too but they were hospital diposable ones (we just ran out). Would newborn nipples be their equivlent? Sorry for the long winded question <: I need some sleep!!

Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Twins home as of Monday &amp;lt;: and a question!

• Options
    I am not sure about the nipples, but I just wanted to say Congrats on Allison coming home!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

congrats!!

We went from NICU nipples to the ones that came with the medela bottles. After that we did slow flow Playtex for around 6 weeks then we moved to mediums about 3 mo (still on mediums).

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats on getting  your littles ones home :)  Pumping is exhausting....and its awful when your pump won't work.  In terms of nipples, we came home on the fastest in the NICU, and as they ran out, we transitioned to the gerber and evenflo slow nipples.  LO was right round 4 months actual, 2.5 months adjusted, when we switched to the medium flow gerber nipples. Good luck, and hopefully you can get some sleep, the beginning is rough....
  • Options
    My boys use the Dr. Brown's Preemie nipple that they provided me in the NICU. The nurses like to use them for babies on the breast because they still have to work those muscles to get the milk. When we get home we plan to stay on the Preemie nipple for awhile. CONGRATS on busting out of the joint and I have to say that I am very jealous that you have sun to snooze in. It was actually snowing here yesterday. 
  • Options
    Congrats on both your LO's being home. I would try the newborn nipples. That is what I went to with my DS and he adjusted just fine. Good luck!
    Jenn Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    DrRxDrRx member
    Congrats on your LOs coming home!
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Congrats on both of them getting home! 
  • Options
    Congratulations Mama!

• Options

Congratulations and welcome home to your LOs. 

As for your question, one of my girls had a hard time with slower flow nipples and never could use a slow flow one. She just didn't have the stamina. She was on medium flow at the hospital, and we kept her on a similar flow. 

Did they use the Medela disposable ones at the hospital? If they did, we got evenflow 2's and they worked well.  

• Options

YAAAAYYY!!!!! I am so glad to hear the kiddos are home! :)  We actually went in for Wes' appt today and he is 4lbs 1oz too! She is going to grow quickly! So awesome!

Before we left the NICU- I brought with the bottles that we were going to use at home the last 4 days we were there.  They used the Similac formula nipples, and put my breastmilk into volufeeds and just screwed them together.  They were using level 1 nipples there, and they seemed pretty slow - Wes needed something faster - and sure enough the level 1 for the Born Free bottles that we used were faster.  He handled a faster nipple better as well.  When we got home, we wanted to try a faster nipple to make eating easier for him as well, and he is very good at pacing himself - so we bought some level 2 nipples, and also bought some variable nipples (they are so cool - they are nipples that depending on what side you have facing up - the flow either goes as level 1,2, or 3) and that is pretty cool too.  If you want to go faster - I know similac has nipples that fit on the formula bottles - and the flow on them is decent... we have a Dr Browns here - but I havent tried it yet.

I really am thrilled to hear that your little ones are home!  I have been thinking about you lately - and was so excited for you guys with this news!  Congrats again!   

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Congrats on having your twins home.  I was actually told that Gerber makes nipples equivalent to the disposables used in NICU.  I actually found NICU ones online and ordered a box, but before they arrived we switched Ryan to the Dr. Brown nipples, so I never used them.  I think it's a box of 50 or something like that.  I can send them to you for the cost of shipping only.  PM me if you're interested.  I'd hate for them to go to waste, and they're non-returnable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"