Natural Birth

Any experience with a Right Occiput Transverse baby?

I'm just about 36 weeks and 4 weeks ago baby was head down but posterior. Now baby has turned part of the way but apparently a Right Occiput Transverse baby has a good chance of rotating posterior in labor. I went through Spinning Babies today but am still trying to figure out which exercises would be the best. I'm also seeing a Chiro weekly to work on allignment and loosening my ligaments. Just wondering if anyone had luck getting a ROT baby into a better position prior to birth. I'm planning a birth center VBAC and this is our last baby. I really want this little person to be in the best possible launch position prior to labor. I've been doing pelvic rocks, tailor sitting, and trying to resist reclining on the couch.

I know my daughter was in the same position if not entirely posterior throughout my last pregnancy. I'm extremely short waisted which I think encourages baby to curve around but my midwive said there is room for the baby to be more up and down. I'm not convinced there is room as DD was a very long legged baby and this baby's bum is already shoved into my rib cage. Wouldn't this push the feet against my spine? (ouch)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Any experience with a Right Occiput Transverse baby?

• I haven't had experience, but do you know about the Miles Circuit? They told me DS was posterior 2 weeks ago and I started doing the open-knee chest position while practicing my relaxations, so for about 25 mins a night, and go to sleep in the exaggerated SIMS position. At my appoint this week she said she could feel his back on the left, so it seems to have helped. Whether he's LOT or LOA she didn't say, but seemed happy with it for now.

https://www.milescircuit.com/index.html

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageWildcatPrincess:

I haven't had experience, but do you know about the Miles Circuit? They told me DS was posterior 2 weeks ago and I started doing the open-knee chest position while practicing my relaxations, so for about 25 mins a night, and go to sleep in the exaggerated SIMS position. At my appoint this week she said she could feel his back on the left, so it seems to have helped. Whether he's LOT or LOA she didn't say, but seemed happy with it for now.

https://www.milescircuit.com/index.html

Never heard of this, thanks for the link! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My little guy was posterior for the majority of my pregnancy. I did a lot of what you're doing right now. I spent lots of time on my hands and knees, sitting on the floor and resting on my left side when I got tired of that. I also did lots of pelvic rocks and the forward leaning inversion from spinning babies to try and help him get into a good position. After all that, he was still posterior before I went into labor. That being said, he did end up rotating during labor and was born anterior. Keep doing what you're doing, but remember that even if your LO doesn't turn before you go into labor, there's still a chance (pretty good from what I've read) that the baby will rotate during labor and be born OA. Spinning babies also has some techniques for helping a posterior baby turn once labor has started. GL.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ugh, I just realized you said your baby was transverse. >_< Sorry, I'm tired. But good luck to you anyway. I hope that you're able to get your baby to turn and have the birth you're hoping for. Smile
  • Our baby went from transverse lie to OP (after we did a version  at 37w). He moved from OP to OT after 50+ hours in labor. I delivered him vaginally OT and he had a nuschal hand, so very not-optimal. It was not a pretty labor, but I did get him out vaginally.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. The only two things I can suggest is a) moxibustion and b) stay positive. Your body still has time to get in optimal position and if that doesn't happen, you still can do this!

• imageelektra1835:
    Ugh, I just realized you said your baby was transverse. >_< Sorry, I'm tired. But good luck to you anyway. I hope that you're able to get your baby to turn and have the birth you're hoping for. Smile

Thank you. It is confusing because baby is head down but is somewhere between anterior and posterior but they still consider this posterior. I was wide awake and needed my MW to explain this to me about 3 times. Head down but with the term transverse didn't make sense at first. Thank goodness for Google Images. 

• My baby favored this position in most of the final weeks of pregnancy. I think he was still in this position going into labor and he was born in the normal anterior position.
        image  image

• imageHarper'smom:

imageelektra1835:
    Ugh, I just realized you said your baby was transverse. >_< Sorry, I'm tired. But good luck to you anyway. I hope that you're able to get your baby to turn and have the birth you're hoping for. Smile

Thank you. It is confusing because baby is head down but is somewhere between anterior and posterior but they still consider this posterior. I was wide awake and needed my MW to explain this to me about 3 times. Head down but with the term transverse didn't make sense at first. Thank goodness for Google Images. 

Transverse lie (lay?) versus OT is so confusing at first. I was "lucky" enough to deal with both.

• I delivered a ROT baby.  When I went into labor her head wasn't engaged yet, but when it did, this was what happened.  During labor I mostly labored in the tub, but I also tried the birthing ball and the toilet. 

I found the most progress though when the nurse had me get into the "Texas Roll Position" on the bed.  I originally thought that this sounded like a terrible idea because everything that I had read had taught me that the best way to move baby down was to be upright.  I went with her suggestion though and it definitely worked to bring baby down.  She never did turn though and I ended up delivering her transverse.  My body was fine with it though and she didn't get stuck at all except for on a stubborn bit of cervix that didn't dilate with either of my births.

I was really confused during labor to hear the word "transverse".  I immediately thought transverse lie and I was going to have to get a c-section.  Little did I know that baby can be head down and transverse as well.

I hope everything works out for you.  Just know that it is possible to deliver that way even if it isn't the easiest.

• imageFinallyMrsBMW:

I delivered a ROT baby.  When I went into labor her head wasn't engaged yet, but when it did, this was what happened.  During labor I mostly labored in the tub, but I also tried the birthing ball and the toilet. 

I found the most progress though when the nurse had me get into the "Texas Roll Position" on the bed.  I originally thought that this sounded like a terrible idea because everything that I had read had taught me that the best way to move baby down was to be upright.  I went with her suggestion though and it definitely worked to bring baby down.  She never did turn though and I ended up delivering her transverse.  My body was fine with it though and she didn't get stuck at all except for on a stubborn bit of cervix that didn't dilate with either of my births.

I was really confused during labor to hear the word "transverse".  I immediately thought transverse lie and I was going to have to get a c-section.  Little did I know that baby can be head down and transverse as well.

I hope everything works out for you.  Just know that it is possible to deliver that way even if it isn't the easiest.

Thanks for sharing, I'm glad to hear your lo made it out regardless. I'll have to look up the Texas Roll.

• MIne tends to rotate from left occiput transverse to OP to ROT.  I was doing exaggerated SIMS last night and was so excited when I woke up and I could tell baby rotated...that is until I realized that baby rotated OP.  Ugh.  Oh well.  I will keep trying hands and knees, sitting upright and leaning forward positions as much as possible, child's pose, etc.  I will also do these in labor in an effort to get baby to rotate. 

With DS1 his head was asynclitic (his ear was coming first) when they broke my water.  I did a bunch of position changes and once one worked I went from 4-10cm in 45min.  Babies rotate all the time in labor...just trust that your body and baby will work together to get your baby out whichever way it is meant to come.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's pretty likely that baby will move during labour even if s/he won't in advance. Smile

On the other hand, my little dude just has a different outlook on life and came out OP. And really, it was a long push but it was fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"