Preemies
Options

Wesley is home!

Shockingly enough - Wesley came home on Saturday from the NICU!!!!

We didn't expect this at all!  Doctors told us to plan for his due date (April 15th), and if it came a little bit earlier to consider it a special gift... but this was much sooner.  

Wesley was born on Feb 27th due to Pre E and Oligohydramnios - I had high blood pressure since age 20 (I am 30 now) that was controlled with medicine - but it slowly started to creep up around week 25.  They put me on bedrest, and my first official day of bedrest I woke up throwing up and my abdomen felt like it was on fire.  I went to the Dr to sent me over to L&D for observation, and sure enough after an ultrasound of my gallbladder (just in case) and the baby - they found the Oligo.  I had proteins, and no medicine seemed to bring my BP down.  By the evening (I spent the entire day there - and did I mention that I drove myself to the hospital because everyone was busy???) My blood pressure had spiked to 220/120.  Wes was born at 10:39 by C section because they said that my body and his body would not be able to handle induction.  He was 3lbs 3oz and 33 weeks gestation.  He was able to breathe on his own just fine as I got the beta shots the week before.  

We spent his first 20 days in the NICU.  First working to get his blood sugar up as he was hypoglycemic - his birth glucose was 17 - and then getting him to the point where he was able to hold his own sugar stores.   Then - the next battle was getting him out of his incubator, and finally to get him off of the NG tube and taking 85 % of his feedings by mouth.  He is super tiny - so we are breastfeeding (or trying to) for 10 minutes a day once a day.  The rest of his feedings are coming from me pumping for him.  All of a sudden in the middle of the week last week he started to take his bottles in full force.  He continued to gain weight once they took him off of the growth fortifier - and his poor little butt started to heal from how much the fortifier ripped it apart.  

They took him off of the fortifier and the NG on the same day - the nurses thought that he wouldn't gain anything and may possibly lose weight - but he gained 66 grams! The second night he gained another ounce!  So - Saturday they had us bring in his carseat and we took him home after the carseat test!  We got the Peg Perego seat - but sure enough like I thought it my earlier post - it was HUGE for him.  He looked like he was strapped into a great america ride... so we went to the store and picked up the Chicco seat.  He passed the test in the peg - but it just made me so nervous - the Chicco was really the right move for him.  

Bringing him home was scary - Exciting and wonderful - but scary.  I rode in the back with him the whole time, and kept freaking out that he would Desat from the position... even though I had no reason to be freaked out about it. lol.  Once the wires are off - and they hand you your child, it all really became more than real to DH and I.  

Wesley is doing great!  He came home and I swear he took it as his moment to eat everything he could. We are trying to keep him on some sort of every 4 hour schedule like what they had going on in the nicu, and only had to be up 3x for him last night.  At one point we slept for 4.5 hours! It was kind of amazing!  

We are excited and thrilled that he is home and with us.  Today he is chronologically 3 weeks, and 36 week adjusted age.  I am still amazed by watching him change and develop, and am so happy we have him to watch grow and learn for the next... well... forever!  

I am trying to get photos up on his blog and share his story and everything that has been going on with him, so if you want to follow, it is https://wesleyharrisonbobis.wordpress.com   

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Wesley is home!

• Options
    Yay!! Welcome home Wesley! And great job momma!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome home baby Wesley!
  • Options
    Congratualtions, that's great news!  IMO don't worry too much about the schedule if your Dr didn't stress it to you for weight gain reasons. We had a nice 3 hour schedule in the hospital but at home (and for Liam his last 3ish hospital weeks) they ate on demand and cluster fed in the evening.  As long as they were still gaining and taking the appropriate volume over the day it was all good.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Congrats!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Glad your little man is home with you guys! Congrats

Jenn Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    What a wonderful surprise for you guys!  I'm so glad he's doing well and that you are getting settled at home.  I haven't had a chance to read through all of your blog yet, but the pic of his daddy reading him the story is so cute!  Wesley is one very handsome little boy.
    image image image

• Options
    Yay!!! We brought ours home Monday <: Not getting as much sleep as you though so I'm jealous <: Congrats on bringing him home!! I'm so happy for you <:
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"