Adoption
Options

Intro and question about agency size

Hi Ladies ? I?ve been a regular lurker for more than a year now, and figure it is finally time to do an introduction since DH and I are getting ready to send our application into an agency.  I?m nervous, and excited to begin this new journey to grow our family through adoption!

As a little background on me, I have an amazing 20 month old, who is the result of our 3rd IVF cycle, and several years of IF treatments.  Unfortunately, he arrived really early, at only 23w5d.  We are so fortunate and thankful that he survived, and is thriving today.  However, after that whole experience, DH and I knew we didn?t want go through treatments again, and another pregnancy just seemed so risky with no guarantees of success or a good outcome.  That said, we know our family is not complete, and so we?ve been contemplating adoption for quite awhile, and finally are ready to move ahead!

We are pursuing domestic, newborn adoption, and we?ve found a local agency that we really connected with.  I am little nervous though because they are pretty small ? they do less than 30 adoptions per year, and have about 20 ? 25 waiting families.  Has anyone used a small agency before or have any thoughts on it?  It's scary to know the possible number of times to be shown would be so low, but I do feel like this agency is the right one for us.

I look forward to participating more; I?ve really learned so much by lurking here, and have found a lot of inspiration in your stories! I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I navigate through this journey!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Intro and question about agency size

• Options
    I lurk here as well but, I of course know you from saif:) I'm excited for you and your family!  Good luck with your journey to build your family!
    For DD - IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP / For DS - dIUI #1 - BFP Dx:severe MFI-Y Chromosome Microdeletion Isabel born 10-15-08! / Baby Boy EDD July 2013 imageLily  pie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Welcome..... and I am sorry for your struggles.

Large vs small agencies... this could be debated all day.  As with anything in the adoption world, successful stories result in "liking" the method you choose and unsuccessful stories results in second guessing your method. 

I know that wasn't very helpful... I personally feel like you should search for an agency that is ethical and shares in your philosophy of communication and sharing information.  If you want lots of details, choose an agency that calls and updates you regularly.  If you would rather be unplugged, then seek an agency that shares only when you are matching.  Communication and expectations... important stuff.

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Welcome!

We used a new TINY local agency. Only one social worker and she works with a few attorneys. The agency only had 4 waiting families and we only waited three months from the time our homestudy was complete before getting "THE MATCH" that resulted in our perfect Daughter born less than 2 months after we were matched.

June 2010-Lap
    b2b Injectable IUI #1 7/25/10 & 7/26/10 = BFP beta 14dpIUI = 133 MC 9/14 at 9 weeks
    b2b Injectable IUI #2 12/5/10 & 12/6/10 = BFN
    IVF #1 ER 3/28/11 ET 3 embryos 3/31/11= BFN
    b2b Injectable IUI#3 6/28/11 & 6/29/11 = BFN
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome :)

Submitted Adoption Application on 6/1/2011
    Homestudy 7/19/2011
    IVF#2 CX due to Adoption Match
    We were blessed with our daughter through the gift of adoption
    IVF #2.1 ET 2 embryos 2/14/13 7 frostiesLilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards