Postpartum Depression
Options

question about repeat PPD

hi all, i just had a question about getting PPD again. i'm pregnant with our 2nd and had a rough go of it with #1. i keep joking that this time i won't leave the hospital without meds, but what's my realistic outlook? i'm likely to get it again and i can't be in that dark place. does anyone have any advice or experience for preparing for #2 when you've already had PPD before?

TIA!! 

Re: question about repeat PPD

• Options
    I am curious about this as well I had PPD and PPA issues with my first and I am scared to death of it happening again with a new baby and a toddler..my husbands keeps telling me not to think about it that if it happens it happens and we will get help but it just makes the whole newborn baby experience that much more scary..like on top of labor, delivery, recovery, not sleeping, and now I have to worry about get PPD/A again!
  • Options
    aetgaetg member
    Do you ever read dolce.com? She is a famous blogger who wrote a book about her ppd with her first child.  I know she had a second baby and I think it was much easier.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    aetgaetg member
    Sorry dooce.com stupid spellcheck
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

There are so many variables.  I had PPD with my first that wasn't diagnosed until my DS was 6 months old.

They were worried for my second and at 5 months pregnant they determined that I had antepartum depression. There was still no guarentee that I would get PPD again though.

The important thing is not to dwell on it.  My DH was prepared this time as was my Mom and friend to watch for symptoms and I had a prescription if I wanted to fill it when I left the hospital.  My DH ended up pointing out my symptoms 2.5 weeks post partum but since I knew what to expect and it was identified earlier it wasn't as bad. 

• Options
    imageAerochyck:

There are so many variables.  I had PPD with my first that wasn't diagnosed until my DS was 6 months old.

They were worried for my second and at 5 months pregnant they determined that I had antepartum depression. There was still no guarentee that I would get PPD again though.

The important thing is not to dwell on it.  <b>My DH was prepared this time as was my Mom and friend to watch for symptoms and I had a prescription if I wanted to fill it when I left the hospital. </b> My DH ended up pointing out my symptoms 2.5 weeks post partum but since I knew what to expect and it was identified earlier it wasn't as bad. 

thank you -- i was wondering if that actually happened to anyone. i think that will set my anxiety about it at ease if i know i can have that kind of backup/preparation. 

• Options

Do you think there were factors that increase your risk of PPD?  For me, maybe I would've gotten it regardless, but here are some things I will do differently should I have another kid:

1)  let other people help me more and don't feel like I need to be the hostess even after having a baby

2)  tell DH I expect him around more the first few days (he went back to work earlier than I thought, the same day my parents left)

3) do whatever it takes to get more sleep -- nap during the day more

4)  use a ring sling to keep hands free

5)  don't expect to get a lot done around the house those first few days (yes, I am that woman who was reorganizing closets while I had time "off" !!!)

6) start therapy asap with any concerns - hoping I can manage w/o the meds if I nip it in the bud

7)  accept that I may need the meds again and that that is what may be best for baby and me

Sorry that was so long but I know sometimes thinking of it that way helps me!

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

• Options
    and I forgot a biggie...I will NOT going on hormonal birth control so close to giving birth...I really think that was a big factor, too...DH not getting some is a lot better than what we went/are going through with the PPD

DS born 8/2010 - preliminary stages of SN int'l adoption - fur mama to 2 shelter dogs;  cloth diapering, babywearing, EBFing mama

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"