VBAC
Options

natural birth and episiotomy

cmrand4cmrand4 member
 My last baby was on the bigger side and was breech so I ended up with c-section.  this time i really have my heart set on a natural VBAC.  If I needed an episiotomy, how would that be handle pain wise since I wouldn't have an epidural?  I can't imagine being cut with a scalpel?? Ouch!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: natural birth and episiotomy

• Options
    Usually people do not feel themselves tear or feel the episiotomy being cut because the baby's head is putting so much pressure on your nerves.  They would use a local anesthetic to sew you back up.  But you should try to find a provider that uses episiotomy rarely, since they are usually not necessary.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, the standard of care is to allow a tear to occur in leiu of an episiotomy, except in case of a specific need arising. I had an epidural but incurred a 3rd degree tear. The dr used a local anesthesia during repair even though the epi helped some.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes
    __________________________________________________________________________________________Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    With my first birth my midwife actually gave me a shot of local before doing the episiotomy so all I felt was the needle and the pressure from the baby's head.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"