Postpartum Depression
Options

need some guidance...

I'm pretty sure I had PPD with DS1. I'm certain I had PPD with DS2.  I didn't seek any help mostly because I'm pretty good at "feeling fine" when I'm out of the house and around others.  I would go to my ob appts and when the checklist asks if I've felt down, depressed or hopeless I think "Nope, I feel okay right now. So what I've been feeling for the last few weeks must be gone."  Then I go home and crash. I also know there was some amount of embarrassment and feeling like a failure so I didn't want to admit to anyone that I had PPD.

It was really really awful with DS2 and I cried when I found out I was pg with DS3 simply because I didn't want to go through that again.

I'm kind of there again... I'm pretty certain I have PPD.  DH isn't any help in identifying, calling me out, discussing. So I don't talk to him about it. I am terrified of it getting as bad as it did with DS2.  Because of childcare, I've had to cancel my 6wk check up twice and I don't currently have it rescheduled.  DS3 has his check up Monday and the checklist for him is asking if I have felt down/depressed/hopeless in the last 2 weeks.  I have. And I don't want to check the box.

I don't know why... embarrassed again I guess.  Don't want the pedi to think less of me? Maybe.  But here's my real question.  Is there anything the pedi is going do to help me?  Or is he just going to tell me to call my doctor?

If he's just going to tell me to call someone, I don't want to check the box.  That will just make me feel dumb and not get me anywhere.

Thoughts?  Did your pedi help you through your PPD? Do I *need* my ob for this?? I'm comfortable with our pedi and I like him a lot so if there's something he actually can do to help me I don't mind talking with him about it (since I'm not his patient, my kids are, I don't know if he can help??).

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: need some guidance...

• Options

First off. Jan I PPH you and I am so right there with you. Actually alot of the things that you are saying, I'm feeling too. Im pretty sure I had PPD with DS and now with DD, not only to I yes indeed have PPD, I have PPA too. I hit rock bottom this weekend and as embarrassing and scared as I was I called and made an appt. I canceled the first one, and rescheduled. (I still am not planning on telling anyone and Ive sworn those who know to secrecy, this is my demon to fight not theirs to pass judgement or make conversation about)  Well it was today, and I felt so much better after I went. She started me on Zoloft, just a low dose and I pray that this will help me take over control of my life, mind and body again so I can enjoy these babies (ps how did Caleb & Holden end up 4???)

If it was me, I think I would check it, and then call and make an appt with your OB asap. Kind of in admitting it and making that proactive step to feeling better. That way you can say yes, I am having these problems, but I have an appt to address them if you can't help me with them. You never know, they may be able to do something for you with out just passing you back to your OB. 

And just an FYI, the MW I saw today wanted to make sure I was still taking my vitamins....which I am. But also Vit D...which I have been taking since pg because I was so moody and had a calcium issue. So make sure you are taking your vits and consider taking Vit D, it will help!

xoxoxoxo & Hugs!!!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Your pediatrician may be a useful source for recommending good therapists, support groups, etc., but you really need to speak with your primary care provider or OBGYN, they will really be able to help you get the care you need. I was referred to both a therapist and a psychiatrist to handle my meds. I suffered terribly this past summer with late onset PP Anxiety/OCD, but am feeling much much better now that I am getting the help that I need.

Don't be afraid to open up and reach out...lots of women know how you feel; you have nothing to be ashamed of!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, I checked the box and hit submit.  Kind of made me sick to my stomach to submit the form but it's done now and I can't change it.  His appt is Monday so we'll see what the pedi has to say to me.  :(

Mel, I'm sorry to see you here on this board.  That super sucks.  And how did we both go through this before and not ask for help?  I think that's why I'm having such a hard time.  Because I've been through it twice already and I think I feel even more ashamed now that I have to admit I've been here and suffered quietly. I'm only asking for help now because I have three littles who are suffering along with me since I won't ask for help.  I'm doing this for them...

I am def. still taking my vitamins.  They have 100% daily value of vitamin D.  I know it's a problem if you take too much vitamin D so I'm hesitant to add that without a doctor telling me to.  Honestly, I'm not sure it will help much anyway.  We do get lots of sunshine around here to get vitamin D naturally... 

Caleb.02.01.08 | Asher.07.06.09 | Jude.01.19.12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Mama Jan's Kitchen... a food blog
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I so know what you are saying about feeling ashamed. I feel like everyone would judge me. bleh. im proud of you Jan! I hate that we are both here too. I hopw that you are able to get some peace soon and are able to feel better. i think you still have my email, if you need me ever, dont hesiatate. Im always here to talk to. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"