3rd Trimester
Options

DOG BITE: TETANUS SHOT - 35 weeks?!

I just went to my friend's house for a visit and got BIT by their dog. I have a few puncture wounds/bruises on the top of my hand..... and 2 larger cuts (one on the top of my palm and the other along the pad on my middle finger tip) on the other side of my hand. We cleaned it up, iced it, used peroxide, and Neosporin and put bandaids on it.

It's been their family pet for 5+ years... and has been up to date on all his shots . So i know it doesn't have rabies or anything like that.

I am 35 weeks pregnant.

My gyno wants to me get a TETANUS SHOT within 24 hours.(He wanted me to go to the ER, but I hate hospitals!) I just made a 4:30 appt with my primary care physician to have my hand looked at and get the shot. 

Has anyone else gotten a tetanus shot while pregnant??? I am so nervous and don't want to get it, but my gyno said it's necessary. (My last tetanus shot was 7/22/03 - my gyno said since it wasn't in the last 5 years, I need to still get it.)

Besides my hand throbbing as I type this, I am even more worried about the potential damage this will do to my baby. PLEASE HELP. 

Re: DOG BITE: TETANUS SHOT - 35 weeks?!

• Options

Many people have gotten them because it is also the shot for pertussis which is extremely important with a newborn.

Here is the info from the CDC. I would get it

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/preg-guide.htm

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't think they (your primary care doc or obgny) would tell you to do something that would damage this child.

I'm sorry this happened. Totally sucky, but take a deep breath and relax. Try not think about how bad your hand hurts.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I recently got the T-Dap (tetanus, diptheria, pertussis) at 28 weeks. My doctor encouraged it prior to delivery (or I would have received it immediately following delivery). I can't imagine they would have given that me if it wasn't safe. It's better to be safe than sorry. Good Luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You should be fine, as PP have said the tetanus booster is the one that has the pertussis vac in it. Also, just to prepare you, the GP will probably insist on antibiotics, so make sure to check that they one they want to give you is safe.
    For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagechapski:

I don't think they (your primary care doc or obgny) would tell you to do something that would damage this child.

I'm sorry this happened. Totally sucky, but take a deep breath and relax. Try not think about how bad your hand hurts.

I agree with this,  I also had to add,  when I was pregnant with ds # 3- (My last time) I was in the gorcery store and I pulled  acan off the shelf and all the cans fell on top of me and cut open my fingers. it has been 16 + years since Ihad a tetnius shot - andthey wouldnt do it fo rme, after I had ds I got one.. but I was fine.  If your dr says you should have one- I would. JMO 

lolololo
  • Options

As previous posters have said the shot will be fine, it's the same shot you would be getting for Pertussis anyway. They are now recommending that vaccine during pregnancy anyway. 

I work in the ER and see quite a few dog bites, as someone else said you will probably be put on prophylactic antibiotics as well. Infections for dog bites can be nasty, so better safe than sorry! 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm a licensed vet tech and I had a cat bite right after getting pregnant and ended up with a tetanus shot at about 2 1/2 months in, and everything seems to be going fine.  I don't think the doc would tell you to do it if they felt it would harm the baby.
  • Options

I agree with PP. I will be asking my doctor at next appt if I should get the TDAP vaccine during 3rd tri or wait until right after delivery.

Read this article: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-td-tdap.pdf

From above article by the CDC:

Pregnant women who have never had a dose of Tdap should get one, after the 20th week of gestation and preferably during the 3rd trimester. If they do not get Tdap during their pregnancy they should get a dose as soon as possible after delivery. Pregnant women who have previously received Tdap and need tetanus or diphtheria vaccine while pregnant should get Td.

Good luck!

June 2012 Mom (2.5 yr old boy), July 2015 Mom (team green), Babywearing newbie/enthusiast
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    imageSpartanRN:

As previous posters have said the shot will be fine, it's the same shot you would be getting for Pertussis anyway. They are now recommending that vaccine during pregnancy anyway. 

I work in the ER and see quite a few dog bites, as someone else said you will probably be put on prophylactic antibiotics as well. Infections for dog bites can be nasty, so better safe than sorry! 

this is exactly what I was going to say only I dont work in er I work in Physical therapy and have to treat people after they have to get surgery done for nasty infected bites. :(. I would take the shot and antibiotics.

• Options

Okay, maybe I'm the only one here, but I will put this out. Why in the hell are you getting a tetanus shot for a dog bite? That makes no sense at all to me! I'm a nursing student and I can't even phathom why that would be a priority if you had one within the last 5 years. Tetanus is not even something you get from dogs...so I would throw a fit an question my doctors right then and there!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMotherMonster:

Okay, maybe I'm the only one here, but I will put this out. Why in the hell are you getting a tetanus shot for a dog bite? That makes no sense at all to me! I'm a nursing student and I can't even phathom why that would be a priority if you had one within the last 5 years. Tetanus is not even something you get from dogs...so I would throw a fit an question my doctors right then and there!

2 doctors in my OBGYN office and my PRIMARY care doctor said a tetanus shot is necessary for an animal bite. I really don't know exactly why, but since the information came from more than one source, it must be right. 

• Options
    imageBrunetteMomma84:
    imageMotherMonster:

2 doctors in my OBGYN office and my PRIMARY care doctor said a tetanus shot is necessary for an animal bite. I really don't know exactly why, but since the information came from more than one source, it must be right. 

I would ask why. Just because they tell you to do it, doesn't mean it's right or necessary.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"