December 2010 Moms

Question about behavior

Hi... I am rarely over here.... I am normally on the adoption board but I need some input from similar aged babies... or their mamas :)

So DD is a serious, take-it-all-in sort of gal and very sweet to us at home. 

My problem... I get super tense when she grabs things from other little ones.  Also she has no concept of gentle touches... she practically smacked a little boy today as she went up to pat him. 

How much interfering do you do w/your LO in a group?  Do you let them steal from other kids?  I know we need to work on gentle touches vs smacking... We are only around other little ones once a week and I don't see that changing soon. 

I guess I am struggling... I don't want to raise a playground bully but I also don't want to be a helicopter mom who constantly interferes with play. 

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months

Re: Question about behavior

• We just follow what they do at daycare which is say we don't hit and give the toy back (usually). I will say that if she is playing with another LO and they are taking things from her and she is taking things too, as long as no one is complaining I don't do much.

As far as gentle touch, we worked on that really early because we wanted her to be nice to our animals. She is still a little bit heavy handed with her pets, but we just tell her gentle.

Ditto PP, it all sounds really normal. 

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagerainydayluck:

We just follow what they do at daycare which is say we don't hit and give the toy back (usually). I will say that if she is playing with another LO and they are taking things from her and she is taking things too, as long as no one is complaining I don't do much.

As far as gentle touch, we worked on that really early because we wanted her to be nice to our animals. She is still a little bit heavy handed with her pets, but we just tell her gentle.

Ditto this, minus the daycare mention since DS is cared for at home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imagebosha711:
    imagerainydayluck:

We just follow what they do at daycare which is say we don't hit and give the toy back (usually). I will say that if she is playing with another LO and they are taking things from her and she is taking things too, as long as no one is complaining I don't do much.

Ditto this, minus the daycare mention since DS is cared for at home.

Ditto this again but put back the DC.  I think it just takes repetitiveness like anything else.  Good luck though and stay and play here! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is a really good question and I often wonder the same thing myself.  DS is not around other children on a regular basis, so I'm often not sure of what is appropriate play behavior and what is not.  For the most part, when he's with others he seems to play independently, so we haven't had any toy grabbing or hitting yet.  He does hit us and we tell him, "No hitting" but we haven't had to discipline him in a playgroup setting yet.  Some of my mom's group is coming over tomorrow though--hopefully I won't be writing a totally different kind of post! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"