Working Moms

Need Help - Naming the lactation room.

My office is pulling together a lactation room which is great.  I think it's pretty well thought out and will have all the necessities.

We are stumped on what to call it though.  Lactation Room and Mother's Room have come up.  Any other ideas?

There is a name plate on the outside of the door (like all our offices and conference rooms have) so the name will be visible to all who pass by.  And the room is off the main lobby next to the guard desk so there will be a bit of traffic.  The good news about that is applicants will see it because the interview rooms are across the hall.  Good selling point for our company!  =)

TIA

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

Re: Need Help - Naming the lactation room.

• I say Mother's Room, or L.R. (lactation room).  I call it LR to anyone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ours is called "The Quiet Room"
  • Loading the player...
  • I like Mother's Room

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I like Mothers' Room, or something more clever (which I can't come up with right now!). Don't like "lactation room." Sounds too clinical. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Our old office called it a Mother's Lounge. I like Mother's Room too.
    2007 BFP#1 MMC 12w; 2008 BFP#2 DS1; 2010 BFP#3 DS2; 2011 TTC; 2013 Pursuing DIA
  • Grammar note: shouldn't it be "Mothers' Room"? I.e. apostrophe placed to show it's for ALL the mothers, not just one mother? 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageNicoleWI:
    Grammar note: shouldn't it be "Mothers' Room"? I.e. apostrophe placed to show it's for ALL the mothers, not just one mother? 

Good point - thank you!

• imagevigurl:
    Ours is called "The Quiet Room"

Are others allowed to use it though?  One company I worked for had a wellness room that was used for pumping and for anyone who wasn't feeling well and needed to rest for a few minutes.  We're not sure we want to open it up like that.

• My old hospital called it "the pumping station".  I thought it was cute and simple.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageFortMyersBride:
    My old hospital called it "the pumping station".  I thought it was cute and simple.

Someone did suggest The Pump House.  =)  Not sure that one will fly though.

• Lol, yeah pump house might be a bit much :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ours is called "Privacy Room" which I like.  Technically anyone can use it but there is a white board in the room with the schedule for when moms have "booked" the room.  I assume the people on the white board are pumping in there, but I guess they wouldn't need to be?

I used to have a Muslim coworker who used the room for praying.  I think that is acceptable.

• imagejlsimon56:

Ours is called "Privacy Room" which I like.  Technically anyone can use it but there is a white board in the room with the schedule for when moms have "booked" the room.  I assume the people on the white board are pumping in there, but I guess they wouldn't need to be?

I used to have a Muslim coworker who used the room for praying.  I think that is acceptable.

Thank you for this - interesting.

• Our company calls it the Nurture Room.
  • imageluvmagoldn:

imagevigurl:
    Ours is called "The Quiet Room"

Are others allowed to use it though?  One company I worked for had a wellness room that was used for pumping and for anyone who wasn't feeling well and needed to rest for a few minutes.  We're not sure we want to open it up like that.

No, others are NOT allowed to use it.  I have seen men use it to make personal phone calls and there is an email that goes out at least once per month telling people not to use it unless they are pumping.

ETA:  Hrere is the email

For clarification, the purpose of the Quiet Room on the 3rd floor is for nursing mothers as required by federal law.  Please refrain from using that room for any purpose other than that.  If you need to conduct private calls or have discussions that you cannot do at your desk, there are an ample number of conference rooms or XX (removed for company anonymity) rooms available to you.

• lactation lounge
  • At my company they're called Mothers' Rooms. At our main site there are several. I work at a satellite location, and we only have one.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I'm totally joking, but how about the "Food Preparation Area" or "Mother's Area for Pumping" AKA the "MAP" room....  :) In all seriousness though, I think the Mothers' Room is good. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ours is called a Lactation Room. I also like Mothers' Room.

I would make it as specific as possible, so the intent is clear. "Quiet Room" or "Privacy Room" give the impression that anyone could use it to rest or relax for a few minutes.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageWinesNotWhines:
    Ours is called a Lactation Room. I also like Mothers' Room.

I would make it as specific as possible, so the intent is clear. "Quiet Room" or "Privacy Room" give the impression that anyone could use it to rest or relax for a few minutes.

this exactly - I also like Mothers' Room, makes it clear what its for and is warmer than lactation room. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The ones on the Navy Base are called "Lactation Station". 

How awesome that this is available!!

• Ours is called the Nursing Mother's Room.  It has a sign that says "If you are not a nursing mother, KEEP OUT!" LOL
  • Oh and I would honestly say that I would recommend calling it Nursing Mothers room unless other people are allowed to use it (at our company no one else is allowed to use that room) because otherwise, if you call it relaxation or quiet room, you will get a lot of squatters!  We had the same issue with men using it to make phone calls. 
  • imageduchess0727:
    Oh and I would honestly say that I would recommend calling it Nursing Mothers room unless other people are allowed to use it (at our company no one else is allowed to use that room) because otherwise, if you call it relaxation or quiet room, you will get a lot of squatters!  We had the same issue with men using it to make phone calls. 

How about Milking Station?! JK--- I agree with "Nursing Mothers Room" - I think it will limit the use of the room for non pumping reasons.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Ours is called the "Nursing Mothers' Room"

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Thanks for all the responses.  You've given me some good ideas!

• Ours is called the Mothers' Room and it is only accessible, by badge, to people who request access.  And when you request access there is a schedule of some sort ou have to abide by.  I just pump in my office, but I've always had access to the room while pumping just in case.  Ours is a discreet door with a tiny sign that says to knock before entering and a plate that says either vacant or occupied.
    Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Ours is called Mothers Room.  There are several in my building, and one of them is right outside our interview rooms... also good selling point for the company.  It's also right outside the security desk, so the guards have gotten to know my pumping schedule, LOL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imageKimbus22:

imageFortMyersBride:
    Lol, yeah pump house might be a bit much :)

I guess "The Booby Bar" would be out then too, huh?

HA! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"