Natural Birth

newb question:

What is the "transition" I keep hearing about in labor?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: newb question:

• It's the final bit of active labor, right before you start pushing. I think it's defined as the period when your cervix is going from 8 cm to fully dilated. It's often the most intense/painful part of labor for women. But it usually progresses fairly quickly (relative to the rest of labor up to that point) to the pushing stage.
    Mama's Clone - 07/18/12

• Thanks Dani. =) I had a feeling it was referring to the most painful stage in pregnancy, but I would have never guessed it could be narrowed to a specific part of dilation. Interesting.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • No problem. A lot of things I have read, regarding NB, have said that if a woman hits a point where she thinks she "can't do it" any longer, or that she's "going to die/split in half", and starts seriously considering or possibly even asking for pain medication/epidural, that it often correlates with transition. The good news (at least from what I've been reading), is that if those mothers stick it through (it really helps if they have a positive support team that encourage them that they can get through it) it ends fairly quickly and they typically find some relief in the pushing stage. Although, YMMV of course.
    Mama's Clone - 07/18/12

• imagedani2480:
    No problem. A lot of things I have read, regarding NB, have said that if a woman hits a point where she thinks she "can't do it" any longer, or that she's "going to die/split in half", and starts seriously considering or possibly even asking for pain medication/epidural, that it often correlates with transition. The good news (at least from what I've been reading), is that if those mothers stick it through (it really helps if they have a positive support team that encourage them that they can get through it) it ends fairly quickly and they typically find some relief in the pushing stage. Although, YMMV of course.

Pretty much this exactly.  You just have to keep remind yourself that you are about to meet your baby.
    Wedding 6.18.04 Cole 11.20.06 Gavin 3.31.08 Parker 07.15.10 Logan 04.03.12
  • imageAliciaS1411:
    What is the "transition" I keep hearing about in labor?

Thanks for asking this. It was on my list of things to ask the doula.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imagedani2480:
    No problem. A lot of things I have read, regarding NB, have said that if a woman hits a point where she thinks she "can't do it" any longer, or that she's "going to die/split in half", and starts seriously considering or possibly even asking for pain medication/epidural, that it often correlates with transition. The good news (at least from what I've been reading), is that if those mothers stick it through (it really helps if they have a positive support team that encourage them that they can get through it) it ends fairly quickly and they typically find some relief in the pushing stage. Although, YMMV of course.

My MW talked about this.  She said often times she can see the look on the woman's face as she goes through the process of "I can't do this", to "I have no choice... I HAVE to do this." to summoning whatever it is she needs and didn't know she had in order to push through.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"