Military Families

DC Area

Hi everyone! If you are in the DC area, do you know if Ft. Meade has OB/GYN services? It appears to but when I dig deeper it looks like it is just internal medicine for the whole family, unlike Bethesda. Also, has anyone given birth at Ft. Meade or did you have to drive to Bethesda?

Re: DC Area

• Hey! Most of the military woman I know in that area did deliver in Bethesda. Most of the dependents went through the US Family plan (Tricare Prime, more or less) which uses Johns Hopkins facilities. 
  • imageexpletive baby:
    Hey! Most of the military woman I know in that area did deliver in Bethesda. Most of the dependents went through the US Family plan (Tricare Prime, more or less) which uses Johns Hopkins facilities. 

This....I was stationed at Ft. Meade wayyyyyy back in 2003.  I wasn't pregnant but I had to get some medical stuff done and the base hospital was way too small to accommodate for anything but basic needs so I always got sent to Bethesda.

• Loading the player...
  • You will most likely be sent to bethesda.... I know some people say they had their baby at The Presidents Hospital so that always sounds cool. .. lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Birthing options for MTF in the area are Bethesda and Ft Belvoir.

I've recently been told about the John Hopkins (Tricare Prime) option, but haven't researched into it. I know that I can go to another hospital in the Annapolis are under that insurance since I live in So. MD but I'm not sure if it will cover a home birth.

I drove to Bethesda for a genetic ultrasound and I'm just worried about driving all that way when there might be a ton of traffic. Some of the military installations have OB/GYN services, but will then refer you to a civilian hospital for the delivery (Both Bolling and Andrews refer you to So. MD hospital).

GL

• You can be seen until a certain date (I think 36 weeks) at Meade, and then you go to Bethesda to deliver.  I had my daughter there in November and it was generally a good experience.
    m/c @ 6 weeks - March 2013 
    m/c @ 5 weeks - April 2013 
    m/c @ 7 weeks - December 2013, D & C 12/27/2013 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Hi Ladies -

I'm here on Andrews and have a question about Bethesda.  Does anybody know if I have a choice of getting seen there for OB care?  My situation is that I am assigned at Indian Head in So. MD and was told that after confirmation of a pregnancy test, I would be referred to a civilian doctor for OB care and delivery.  We have since moved and live on base at Andrews (but opted to stay with Indian Head so that I had this choice of a civilian) and am now being told that I must be seen on Andrews.  I just feel like I don't have a choice at all and Andrews can't even see me for the orientation until next month and then will make my first OB appt.after the orientation.  I will be done with my first trimester by then but that doesn't seem to be an issue to anyone.  Did I mention this is my first pregnancy so I'm a little frazzled? Any advice is appreciated :)

• imageWolfpackMB:

Hi Ladies -

I'm here on Andrews and have a question about Bethesda.  Does anybody know if I have a choice of getting seen there for OB care?  My situation is that I am assigned at Indian Head in So. MD and was told that after confirmation of a pregnancy test, I would be referred to a civilian doctor for OB care and delivery.  We have since moved and live on base at Andrews (but opted to stay with Indian Head so that I had this choice of a civilian) and am now being told that I must be seen on Andrews.  I just feel like I don't have a choice at all and Andrews can't even see me for the orientation until next month and then will make my first OB appt.after the orientation.  I will be done with my first trimester by then but that doesn't seem to be an issue to anyone.  Did I mention this is my first pregnancy so I'm a little frazzled? Any advice is appreciated :)

I'm seen at Andrews, and they've always told me I'm able to transfer. My first appointment was after the orientation, which was frustrating, but that's how they do it there.

What's your concern with delivering in the military system? I was nervous about it at first, but had a great experience with my first (at Andrews) and am doing well with my second there too. That being said, I might ask to transfer to a hospital a bit closer to me (I live off base) at 30-something weeks, but I LOVE my nurse practitioner at Andrews.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"