Military Families
Options

Getting out?

So my husband had some very bad back problems.  He's been going to all the clinics (pain management, etc) to see if it can be fixed.  He's not a candidate for back surgery because he is too young for it.  They're trying steroid injections directly into the spine next, but today at his appointment they told him that they won't reclass him (he's infantry).  Well they are starting the medboard process and I am a nervous mess!  We're expecting our third child in Oct.  We have two other children (2 and 3 1/2).  I guess I just need to vent/rant.  I'm super nervous about this.  Any words of advice?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Getting out?

• Options
    The MEB process can take a while.  Just start planning as though he will be boarded out so you are prepared.  The process has improved significantly in the last few years, so if he is separated or medically retired his care will roll over into the VA afterwards (there used to be up to a year long wait).  I worked in Medical Boards for two years so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I am so glad you posted this, we are going through the same thing and I was about to post and ask if anyone else was!  My DH also has back problems and he had the injections about a year ago.  They worked good but only temporarily.  I don't know much about the process either but he started his paperwork in Sept. 2010 and we are still waiting. 

We were told it would be a long time at first, but then last April they said it would be really soon.  So we planned to move back home, I quit my job (thinking we would be moving soon) we bought a house, and I was already pregnant.  Now we are paying $800 for military housing, a $500 house payment (on the house we don't live in) and my DH is only an E4 so it really sucks!  We should have known better than to buy a house but lesson learned for sure!  DH did get a call from the office today saying that he can sign his paperwork, then it goes to Washington D.C. for more signatures, comes back and then we are out.  They say it should be 2-4 months and I really hope so. 

Are you hoping to be out of the military before Oct?  That may not happen but my best advice is to sit back, relax and wait it out.  I believe if he is on a medboard they can't force him to do PT or deploy him (huge plus!).  Sorry I can't offer any more info.  But whatever happens, good luck!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJlroberts57:

I am so glad you posted this, we are going through the same thing and I was about to post and ask if anyone else was!  My DH also has back problems and he had the injections about a year ago.  They worked good but only temporarily.  I don't know much about the process either but he started his paperwork in Sept. 2010 and we are still waiting

We were told it would be a long time at first, but then last April they said it would be really soon.  So we planned to move back home, I quit my job (thinking we would be moving soon) we bought a house, and I was already pregnant.  Now we are paying $800 for military housing, a $500 house payment (on the house we don't live in) and my DH is only an E4 so it really sucks!  We should have known better than to buy a house but lesson learned for sure!  DH did get a call from the office today saying that he can sign his paperwork, then it goes to Washington D.C. for more signatures, comes back and then we are out.  They say it should be 2-4 months and I really hope so. 

Are you hoping to be out of the military before Oct?  That may not happen but my best advice is to sit back, relax and wait it out.  I believe if he is on a medboard they can't force him to do PT or deploy him (huge plus!).  Sorry I can't offer any more info.  But whatever happens, good luck!!

He started the MEB process in Sept 2010?? Or that was when he was put on a profile?  I have only seen a couple of MEBs take that long, and this was only because they were complicated dual action cases.  Does he have administrative issues as well?  Do you know for sure the disposition is medical retirement or separation?  I ask this because most people don't get 2-4 months afterwards before being discharged. 

• Options

My husband just medically retired last week because of severe back problems along with some other medical issues. I can say it does take a lot of paperwork and appointments. Be prepared to have little warning of when he will be getting out.

I think the most stressful part was waiting for his rating and seeing if the Army was retiring him or if the VA was. Depending on who retires him will depend on the benefits you will receive when he gets out. Thankfully the Army retired him so we will have Tricare for our family for the rest of our lives. We will also still have access to military posts.

Be prepared for a long drawn out process. 

• Options

I'm currently going through an MEB myself since May of last year so I understand your anxiety. Before you do anything, if you haven't already, PLEASE read through the Army's Standards of Medical Fitness. (I included the link below) A co-worker of mine broke his spine as an 11B and was able to reclass to a 74D (chemical) and has a permanent profile and a non-deployable status. A lot of times the Army will just start an MEB as the easy way out when in reality there are other options. If you read through the Standards of Medical Fitness and discover that your husband's condition would allow him to stay in under a different MOS, it opens up a new door for you if you do not want to be cornered into the MEB route. And even if the MEB is whats best, it's not the end of the world. He will be able to receive disability through the VA and if his condition is serious enough that he will be unable to find gainful employment, he could possibly collect Social Security, which for a family of 5 comes out to around $2100 a month with 12 months back paid tax free. If he doesn't qualify for SS benefits, at the very least he can file for unemployment which is an additional source of income. And last but not least, if he goes back to school using the Post 911 GI Bill, he will receive free tuition, a stipend for books and supplies, as well as BAH. I know its a stressful time, but know that no matter what happens, you have plenty of options. And for what its worth, I know a lot of people who have fought their MEBs and won and were able to stay in.  

https://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r40_501.pdf 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    i am SO glad someone else is dealing with a similar thing.  We're out in Hawaii and I really wish that we could either get out in time for me to be able to fly home before baby or close after baby gets here.  He's an E5 and we have two other children and two dogs as well, so I feel your pain about the money issue.  They told us it would be 6 to 9 months before we know anything for sure.  BLeh!   lol
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

OOOOooooo Sar-Bear that is super good information!! BTW: HI ;-)

imagethebretanafam:

I'm currently going through an MEB myself since May of last year so I understand your anxiety. Before you do anything, if you haven't already, PLEASE read through the Army's Standards of Medical Fitness. (I included the link below) A co-worker of mine broke his spine as an 11B and was able to reclass to a 74D (chemical) and has a permanent profile and a non-deployable status. A lot of times the Army will just start an MEB as the easy way out when in reality there are other options. If you read through the Standards of Medical Fitness and discover that your husband's condition would allow him to stay in under a different MOS, it opens up a new door for you if you do not want to be cornered into the MEB route. And even if the MEB is whats best, it's not the end of the world. He will be able to receive disability through the VA and if his condition is serious enough that he will be unable to find gainful employment, he could possibly collect Social Security, which for a family of 5 comes out to around $2100 a month with 12 months back paid tax free. If he doesn't qualify for SS benefits, at the very least he can file for unemployment which is an additional source of income. And last but not least, if he goes back to school using the Post 911 GI Bill, he will receive free tuition, a stipend for books and supplies, as well as BAH. I know its a stressful time, but know that no matter what happens, you have plenty of options. And for what its worth, I know a lot of people who have fought their MEBs and won and were able to stay in.  

https://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r40_501.pdf 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"