Blended Families

Silly complaint

I am doing Christmas cards right now and DH wants me to include SD's name on them.  My issue with this is that she's 19 and does not live with us...even if she still lived at home she's 19 and in my opinon can send cards to whomever she wants.  And yes, I sent out cards when I graduated college, not many but I did send them out.  I am putting her name on this year and he agreed to not doing it next year when she's 20.  Like I said, just a minor complaint but needed to vent.
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: Silly complaint

• If DH wants to write in SDs name, then let him sign every one of them, address every one of them, stamp every one of them and then put them all into the mail box.

Seriously, does he expect you to do the same for the people you are sending the cards too? Would you individually address a Christmas Card to a family whose kids are living on their own too?

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Ilumine, that's a very good point.  If someone knows that she is not living her anymore and that she's 19 (obviously different if she was living with her Mom and was 5) then they would not add her name to the card they send us.  I honestly think it's almost like putting her on the card makes him feel better since people might not notice.  And the thing is, I will probably send out 25 cards to my friends and family and he will send out about 3...he gets store bought cards for his parents and brothers.  I guess that's why it's annoying.  But, I did not want to make him feel bad by not doing it so I caved, but next year I am not, if he wants to add her then he can buy store bought cards and send them and my nice photo cards will go to the people I choose like I want them to, lol.  And I could have printed some with and some without but I felt that would have came off to him like "she's your family but once she moved out she's no longer mine" if that makes sense.
  • Loading the player...
  • "And I could have printed some with and some without but I felt that would have came off to him like "she's your family but once she moved out she's no longer mine" if that makes sense."

But here is the thing, it is not about being family, but being an adult.  My family is super close.  We do not send the Cards to the adult children who no longer live with the parents.  We send the Cards to the adult children at their own home. 

Why - because they would not even KNOW that the card went to their parent's home becuase....they do not live there to see the cards.  Common sense.

Hell, we have two cousins who moved back into their individual mom's home this year (one to help out with the farm, the other just relocated to the area and hasn't found a place to live yet).  They will get their own cards because they are self-sufficient adults. 

I know that my cards, at best will say From The Owen Family.  And that is only because its easier to write, then all the individual names of the people/dogs who live here. 

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • I totally agree.  And I write any adults still living at home their own card too.  I should have just written from the XXXX Family instead of our names, did not think of that and I ordered them yesterday.  Hey, last year DH considered having a family pic with everyone and I stuck to my guns and only put the baby on it since in my opinion an 18yo is too old to be put on her parents photo Christmas cards...I caved on this one but like I said it's stupid and I won't do it again.  And I am now mad at myself for not just putting our last name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"