Adoption
Options

S/O: Another HT question- Leave

Jenn Is Silly made me wonder what other states have for provisions for baby bonding? 

I agree w/Jenn that STD should be for actual illness, injury, surgery, etc. 

That said, I feel fortunate that in CA we get 6 weeks Paid Family Leave for adoption or birth.  I am glad they don't limit it to just birth.  Aside from baby bonding, I think it's an overall safety and efficiency matter too.  People who are caring for an infant round the clock don't need to share the highway with me after not sleeping at all.  Nor should they clock hours at work.  But that's JMO.

So, does your state have provisions?  What about your workplace?  DO they differ from birth to adoption?

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months

Re: S/O: Another HT question- Leave

• Options

imagefredalina:
    No, my state and my workplace have no paid bonding/adoption leave time. They offer $5000 as an adoption reimbursement but I really wish they would pay that as an adoption leave benefit instead of a reimbursement. IMO it's just too late to do much good.

This is my state/employer exactly as well.  The only option we have is FMLA leave.  This goes for pregnancy/childbirth and adoption.  The company pays for 50% Of your pay on STD (you can buy up) and they justify that as their "maternity leave". 

• Options

No paid leave here.  I was allowed to take 6 weeks of unpaid maternity leave.  During that time I used up all of my vacation days so I would have some pay coming in.  After that I took 12 weeks of FMLA  unpaid as well. 

Doesn't matter if you adopt or give birth - no paid leave for either.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagefredalina:
    No, my state and my workplace have no paid bonding/adoption leave time. They offer $5000 as an adoption reimbursement but I really wish they would pay that as an adoption leave benefit instead of a reimbursement. IMO it's just too late to do much good.

big ditto.  My company offers no paid leave for foster or adoptive parents. It certainly was not easy going into work with a 3 day old baby at home.  Though I think saying I was some kind of hazard on the highway is a little extreme, it certainly wasn't the most fun or productive time of my career.

• Options

I get 4 mos parental leave @ 100% of my pay.

I really wish it was mandated that all parents get 1 year of leave like Canada has, regardless of birth or adoption.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    amm78amm78 member
    I'm a teacher.  I haven't adopted yet, but when looking into what my leave would be like, I've been told that I can take the same leave as a mother who gives birth.  I can  take up to 12 weeks FMLA, but I can only use sick days to get paid for 6 weeks, then the second 6 weeks would be unpaid (whereas a mom who gives birth can use STD to get paid during that time).  Since I started planning a family 8 years ago, I've saved up 20 weeks of sick time, and it makes me sad that they will only let me use 6 of those weeks to stay home with my baby when the time comes.
  • Options

imageamm78:
    I'm a teacher.  I haven't adopted yet, but when looking into what my leave would be like, I've been told that I can take the same leave as a mother who gives birth.  I can  take up to 12 weeks FMLA, but I can only use sick days to get paid for 6 weeks, then the second 6 weeks would be unpaid (whereas a mom who gives birth can use STD to get paid during that time).  Since I started planning a family 8 years ago, I've saved up 20 weeks of sick time, and it makes me sad that they will only let me use 6 of those weeks to stay home with my baby when the time comes.

It sucks that you can't use it as maternity leave but it is great that you have it for when your child gets sick...and they will get sick.  Being able to take a few days or a week off to deal with illness is better when you also don't have to worry about time off impacting your budget.

dd(Brianna) 11/01/94, ds(Bram)10/17/95, ds(Jesse)9/26/97, dd (Annie Ruth) 7/27/05 5mc Jan '08, May '08, Feb '09, Sept '09, Apr '11 "And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth of vast eternity can fill it up." - Charles Dickens

PAL/PGAL Welcome

• Options
    Nope, the only thing that applies to parental leave is FMLA, but even FMLA didn't apply to me since I was at a small company and also a new employee.  I went back to work when our son was three weeks old, although my employer did offer me to additional unpaid weeks.  After 19 days in a hotel in another state and with me being the primary breadwinner, we needed me to go back to work.
  • Options

We had no option except for FMLA. Being a newer employee (had only been there 4 months before DD was born), I didn't even qualify for FMLA. My employer allowed me to take as much time as I wished if I could find a replacement. The employee whose job I replaced (she quit due to wanting PT instead of FT) wasn't employed again and was willing to work for me. I was able to take 8 weeks, all unpaid (except for the few days of sick time I had acquired).

• Options

I work for the school system and you can take 6 weeks with pay if you use your sick leave. You can have 6 more weeks off without pay.  It is the same for adopting and giving birth.

• Options

I could have taken up to 12 weeks of FMLA but with adoption, my company only pays for 2 weeks so the remaining would have been unpaid. I had saved as much vacation as I could and was able to take 5 weeks off paid. We couldn't afford for me to not get paid so I went back to work after that. If I had given birth, however, they would have paid me for 6 weeks AND I could have kept my vacation time. :(

keira party Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"