Baby Showers

Co-ed Baby Shower

I've read a few times now that throwing your own baby shower is tacky. Ummm...why? I want what I want and the only way I can ensure that I get exactly what I want is if I do it myself, I've found. I like to host events, always have; it's in my blood I guess. Plus, I'm my husband and I are flipping the bill for it. Guess I don't get it. I've also read that it's tacky to serve any kind of alcohol at a baby shower. I've read several posts about co-ed baby showers and the common denominator is - you guessed it - beer! My dad and husband brew crafty beer a few times a year, usually for an occasion, why not for a co-ed baby shower? Got crap from a family member today for it. Can I get some opinions on both matters?

Re: Co-ed Baby Shower

• I've had three showers (friends, coworkers, and family) and all were co-ed with beer. If that's what works in your circle, I say have beer.

Now hosting your own shower... gonna have to disagree. I don't think you should do it. Even if you pay. Sure you can host a get together at your house, just don't call it a shower. Or how far along are you? Maybe just wait, a friend or relative will offer. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • I have seen many women mention mimosas at women only showers. Just because it's there doesn't mean the mom to be has to drink it. Or, it doesn't need to be there at all. It doesn't matter.

Why can't you have a co-ed shower if someone else is hosting it? I am. I knew it was what I wanted, but my stepmom even brought it up to me. A man made half of this baby and there are men who will be in the baby's life, so the celebration of baby will not discriminate. I'm actually really uncomfortable with the idea of having only women. It's kind of offensive.

My husband has never touched alcohol so beer isn't a requirement but since we're having a cookout, there will be beer. It doesn't mean my husband or all the men--and only the men--will drink it. Co-ed generally means more people, so the only thing that needs to be considered is how many people the host can afford to serve. 

It's going to be hard to find a host who doesn't ask for your input. Nobody will say "I'm going to throw your shower, now sit down and shut up and I'll tell you when and where to be." Granted, a shower is a gift from someone, but most hosts will want to know what you'd like because the party is about you, your baby, and your growing family. Hosts want a happy recipient. 

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the positive input!
  • Thanks for you input! One of my SILs is the kind of gal who is the 'sit down, shut up, some of these things don't really matter'. Love her to death, though. Both of my SILs are helping me host, if that makes me look less ungrateful.
  • imageshawna&leon:

I've read a few times now that throwing your own baby shower is tacky. Ummm...why? I want what I want and the only way I can ensure that I get exactly what I want is if I do it myself, I've found. I like to host events, always have; it's in my blood I guess. Plus, I'm my husband and I are flipping the bill for it. Guess I don't get it. I've also read that it's tacky to serve any kind of alcohol at a baby shower. I've read several posts about co-ed baby showers and the common denominator is - you guessed it - beer! My dad and husband brew crafty beer a few times a year, usually for an occasion, why not for a co-ed baby shower? Got crap from a family member today for it. Can I get some opinions on both matters?

Under no circumstance is it appropriate to tell others to buy you gifts. If you host your own shower, that's exactly what you're doing.

The part in bold makes you sound ridiculous. It's a shower, not a formal wedding. If someone throws one for you and it's not exactly what you envisioned, too bad. The world won't come to an end because certain details weren't what you wanted or expected.

As for alcohol, I see no problem with it. My own shower wasn't even co-ed and there were still alcoholic beverages available to guests.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • theresat858 > I guess I should have asked for opinions that wouldn't sound so rude. Oh well.

1) People in our circle know that we expect nothing but their presence at every event and that's usually how our events go. We appreciate our friends and family attending our special events rather than them spending any money on us. My SILs are helping me host. I'm frugal, resourceful, and crafty so I don't anticipate spending much for our baby shower as I have all of the supplies to make our decorations and I will need to purchase food. I'm a crazy coupon clipper so I don't pay full price for food in the first place. Go me! And it's not just a shower for us. She's our first child together and this is a one time experience in my opinion and I want it to be perfect. I'm very excited and so are all of our family and friends. It's a big deal to all of us.

2) My midwife said I could have a glass of wine or a beer every once and a while, but that freaks me out so I won't be drinking.

• I guess I should clarify the 'want what I want' statement. I want certain decorations and certain foods and the table set up a certain way. I don't think that's so ridiculous. Especially for someone who is a planner. And my family and friends know we expect nothing but their presence, that's just how our circle works.

• imageshawna&leon:

theresat858 > I guess I should have asked for opinions that wouldn't sound so rude. Oh well.

1) People in our circle know that we expect nothing but their presence at every event and that's usually how our events go. We appreciate our friends and family attending our special events rather than them spending any money on us. My SILs are helping me host. I'm frugal, resourceful, and crafty so I don't anticipate spending much for our baby shower as I have all of the supplies to make our decorations and I will need to purchase food. I'm a crazy coupon clipper so I don't pay full price for food in the first place. Go me! And it's not just a shower for us. She's our first child together and this is a one time experience in my opinion and I want it to be perfect. I'm very excited and so are all of our family and friends. It's a big deal to all of us.

You asked for opinions, and Theresa was giving you hers..So you really don't want others opinions if you're going to judge them as rude!  So I won't give you mine since its along the same lines as Theresa's.. 

2) My midwife said I could have a glass of wine or a beer every once and a while, but that freaks me out so I won't be drinking.

• eav2ceav2c member
    imageshawna&leon:

I guess I should clarify the 'want what I want' statement. I want certain decorations and certain foods and the table set up a certain way. I don't think that's so ridiculous. Especially for someone who is a planner. And my family and friends know we expect nothing but their presence, that's just how our circle works.

I personally think throwing your own shower IS tacky--but you already know that. Kind of sounds like your asking to validate yourself--which you won't get from anyone here.

Sure, you can want whatever you want but, IMHO, it sounds snobby. Sure, I might like things one particular way, but, I realize a shower is a gift from someone else. Even if I don't like their style or their ways of planning, I will always be appreciative of their thought and effort. I'd much rather have a shower that is planned by someone regardless of if our ideas of a shower are the same. Likewise, do you really have the time to commit to planning your own shower? I get helping when needed (i.e. giving addresses, providing an opinion when asked, etc.)--but I seriously would have never found the time to commit myself between everything else. Which is exactly why a shower is thrown for a MTB... it's a time for her to sit back, relax, and enjoy being celebrated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well it sounds like you know what you want and you're pleased as punch about it all, so why bother posing the question?
  • imagejociejones:
    Well it sounds like you know what you want and you're pleased as punch about it all, so why bother posing the question?
    My thoughts exactly.  Why bother asking when you really don't care what people think?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageEastCoastBride:
    My thoughts exactly.  Why bother asking when you really don't care what people think?

Judging from the OP's posts in other threads on this board, she seems to be bragging that she is hosting her own shower. Talk about no shame.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's tacky because

1. A shower is a gift.  You don't buy yourself a gift. 

2. A shower is a gift-giving event.  Inviting people to give you gifts is rude.  

3. It makes no sense.  If you need stuff, why spend money on a shower?  Spend the money on the stuff you need for your baby.  

All of the above are the exact reason you shouldn't be footing the bill either.

I don't think it's tacky to serve alcohol at a shower.  My shower was co-ed and no alcohol was served.  You can still have fun without alcohol.  But if you prefer to have it, I don't see any reason not to.  I think it would be cool to offer the beer your husband and dad brew at your shower but that should be the only participation you and your husband have, other than attending and being showered.  

• Go ahead and serve all the hooch you want.  I had a glass of champagne at mine.

HOWEVER, quit bragging about how you're throwing your own shower.  You make it sound like you're the only one with taste and everyone else just sucks.  And if your party-planning is anything like your manners, then the party will be just as tacky as you are.

• imagemommabear17:

imageEastCoastBride:

Judging from the OP's posts in other threads on this board, she seems to be bragging that she is hosting her own shower. Talk about no shame.

YES! ITA! 

• If that's what suits you as a family, then why not? I want to have a ladies shower, but I know that SO, his dad, my bro, my 3 BILs, and uncles will come, so might as well have a co-ed one. Plus, if we're going to have mimosas and wine, why not throw in beer? Do what makes you happy.
    Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Maternity tickers BFP #1- 12/7/11 M/C-12/20/11 BFP #2- 2/14/12 EDD- 10/3/12
  • imageCranang:

HOWEVER, quit bragging about how you're throwing your own shower.  You make it sound like you're the only one with taste and everyone else just sucks.  And if your party-planning is anything like your manners, then the party will be just as tacky as you are.

Bazinga.  That nail was hit square on its head.

I agree that if you were just having people over to your home to celebrate the new addition on his/her way, it would be more than fine - and if people bring you gifts, bonus.  Calling it a baby shower makes it different.  It screams "BUY ME STUFF". 

If you want to serve alcohol, serve it.  I don't see any reason why not.  I think the get together you're describing would be a good event for some red wine sangria and that craft beer would be a nice touch.

• When DD was in preschool, her teachers had a saying:

"You get what you get, and you don't get upset."

Sounds like some adults around here could use a refresher course in preschool manners.   

If you've read the threads describing throwing your own shower as tacky, you should know the reasons why it's rude.  And if you've conveniently forgotten that part, PPs have reminded you.  Since apparently the WORLD WILL END if everything at your party isn't exactly how you want it, throw a party.  But don't call it a shower, don't mention anything about a registry and gifts, and for everyone's sake, try to get some perspective on what's really important in life.  (Hint: how food is displayed at a party doesn't even make the Top 100.) 

• I've done a bit of research and it looks like a lot of ladies enjoy planning their own shower/party/shindig/get together, whatever you want to call it. I have 10 pregnant friends right now and some of them and their husbands are throwing their own shower as well. I guess to some people we're just tacky and selfish. And since I did ask for opinions, you're all right, I have to accept the backlash.

Glad to know it's not weird to serve beer at this kind of event.

All in all, thanks for the input!

• imagetheresat858:
    imageshawna&leon:

I've done a bit of research and it looks like a lot of ladies enjoy planning their own shower/party/shindig/get together, whatever you want to call it. I have 10 pregnant friends right now and some of them and their husbands are throwing their own shower as well. I guess to some people we're just tacky and selfish. And since I did ask for opinions, you're all right, I have to accept the backlash.

Where?

If your friends and their husbands are throwing their own showers too, then you just live in a circle of tacky...sorry, we can't help with that.  I'm pretty sure all etiquette guides are pretty clear on the fact that it is never okay to throw your own shower (or throw one for your spouse).  

Several other people have posted about throwing their own showers, some asking if it's 'OK' to do so and some flat out are doing exactly what I'm doing, having a co-ed shower (I guess ours is more like a party in a lot of peoples opinion). I also did a google search and found a lot of people throwing their own shindigs.

I wonder if I called it an, I'm Pregnant and We're Having Finger-Food and Beer 8 Weeks Before Our Baby Is Born & Inviting Our Family and Friends Party, that people might not have gotten so testy. Oh well.

• imageshawna&leon:
    imagetheresat858:
    imageshawna&leon:

I've done a bit of research and it looks like a lot of ladies enjoy planning their own shower/party/shindig/get together, whatever you want to call it. I have 10 pregnant friends right now and some of them and their husbands are throwing their own shower as well. I guess to some people we're just tacky and selfish. And since I did ask for opinions, you're all right, I have to accept the backlash.

Where?

If your friends and their husbands are throwing their own showers too, then you just live in a circle of tacky...sorry, we can't help with that.  I'm pretty sure all etiquette guides are pretty clear on the fact that it is never okay to throw your own shower (or throw one for your spouse).  

Several other people have posted about throwing their own showers, some asking if it's 'OK' to do so and some flat out are doing exactly what I'm doing, having a co-ed shower (I guess ours is more like a party in a lot of peoples opinion). I also did a google search and found a lot of people throwing their own shindigs.

I wonder if I called it an, I'm Pregnant and We're Having Finger-Food and Beer 8 Weeks Before Our Baby Is Born & Inviting Our Family and Friends Party, that people might not have gotten so testy. Oh well.

You're being sarcastic, but you're not wrong.  A SHOWER is a gift-giving event.  A party is a party.  Some people might bring gifts to "just a party" to celebrate the impending baby, but calling it a shower makes a gift somewhat obligatory.

• image526SadieSadie:

You're being sarcastic, but you're not wrong.  A SHOWER is a gift-giving event.  A party is a party.  Some people might bring gifts to "just a party" to celebrate the impending baby, but calling it a shower makes a gift somewhat obligatory.

This.  People can throw their own "shindigs" all they want - that's fine.  But as soon as you attach the word shower to it - it's tacky to throw your own.  If you don't care about the gift aspect, then just call it a Celebration BBQ.  Yes, people will still bring gifts, but a regular old party doesn't require gifts where as a shower actually kind of does.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Just because other people do something doesn't make it NOT tacky.  LOTS of girls walk around with their thongs above their jeans.  I see it all the time, but just because people do it doesn't mean it's classy. I'm guessing this isn't going to land with you over there in "I do what I want- Land" but I thought I'd try.
  • Well, since it boils down to what I call "it" I guess I'm in the clear. The invitations don't mention the word "shower" one single time, but rather games and finger foods inside, and horse shoes and homebrew outside.

Thanks all!

• imageshawna&leon:

Well, since it boils down to what I call "it" I guess I'm in the clear. The invitations don't mention the word "shower" one single time, but rather games and finger foods inside, and horse shoes and homebrew outside.

Thanks all!

Why the f*ck have you been leading us to believe that you were throwing a shower this whole time? You are either a liar and it is a shower but you are saying that it isn't now, or you are a troll and just wanted to see some drama. Which is it? 

• imageAdam&Eve07:
    imageshawna&leon:

Well, since it boils down to what I call "it" I guess I'm in the clear. The invitations don't mention the word "shower" one single time, but rather games and finger foods inside, and horse shoes and homebrew outside.

Thanks all!

Why the f*ck have you been leading us to believe that you were throwing a shower this whole time? You are either a liar and it is a shower but you are saying that it isn't now, or you are a troll and just wanted to see some drama. Which is it? 

Wow! No need to get so upset.

The way I look at it, people know what it's for, what/who it's celebrating. Therefore, it's still technically a shower without being called a shower. Like others have mentioned throughout this thread, just don't CALL it a shower if I'm the one throwing it. So that's what I'm doing.

• I don't see a problem with someone throwing their own shower. Term "shower" actually come from the assumption that the mother to be "Will be showered with gifts". I hear a lot of complaining and uselessl, downgrading comments but not a single valid reason for why not. This leads me to believe that some of you are just bitter and unhappy. You should probably consider another hobby like knitting, I hear that is relaxing and can actually lead to a longer life. Shawna&leon asked for some feedback not a tongue lashing. Who hasn't thrown their own birthday party? What is the fricken difference?! There is none!!! Get over yourselves. Also women, make up your minds. You fight for equality in society and demand that "Women should know what they want and go out and get" but as soon as another woman does that you call her spoiled. Not only does that make you a hypocrit but it also makes you a very unpleasant person who probably needs a drink, or maybe you just need to get laid.

Beer? Absolutely! Why not?

I am new to this so I may be way off base but come on! Give quality, legitimate feedback or shut up!

• imageEcstaticDaddy:

I don't see a problem with someone throwing their own shower. Term "shower" actually come from the assumption that the mother to be "Will be showered with gifts". I hear a lot of complaining and uselessl, downgrading comments but not a single valid reason for why not. This leads me to believe that some of you are just bitter and unhappy. You should probably consider another hobby like knitting, I hear that is relaxing and can actually lead to a longer life. Shawna&leon asked for some feedback not a tongue lashing. Who hasn't thrown their own birthday party? What is the fricken difference?! There is none!!! Get over yourselves. Also women, make up your minds. You fight for equality in society and demand that "Women should know what they want and go out and get" but as soon as another woman does that you call her spoiled. Not only does that make you a hypocrit but it also makes you a very unpleasant person who probably needs a drink, or maybe you just need to get laid.

I am new to this so I may be way off base but come on! Give quality, legitimate feedback or shut up!

I have some quality feedback.  

https://bit.ly/AlDcML

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imageEcstaticDaddy:

I don't see a problem with someone throwing their own shower. (1) Term "shower" actually come from the assumption that the mother to be "Will be showered with gifts". I hear a lot of complaining and uselessl, downgrading comments but not a single valid reason for why not. This leads me to believe that some of you are just bitter and unhappy. You should probably consider another hobby like knitting, I hear that is relaxing and can actually lead to a longer life. Shawna&leon asked for some feedback not a tongue lashing. (2) Who hasn't thrown their own birthday party? What is the fricken difference?! There is none!!! Get over yourselves. Also women, make up your minds. (3) You fight for equality in society and demand that "Women should know what they want and go out and get" but as soon as another woman does that you call her spoiled. Not only does that make you a hypocrit but it also makes you a very unpleasant person who probably needs a drink, or (4) maybe you just need to get laid.

1) That IS the reason it's tacky to host your own shower.  It's telling everyone to come give you stuff.  Just because you don't agree that it's tacky doesn't mean it isn't a valid reason.

2) I haven't.  I'll invite friends to go out to dinner a weekend around my birthday, but I've never hosted my own party, nor do I plan to.

3)  Yes, because women's equality and 'getting what you want' is all about being self-centered and breaking the rules of etiquette.  That's definitely what it's about.  We women have been fighting all this time so that we can be control freaks over our own showers. Hmm

4) Pretty sure most of us are moms or moms to be.  So actually, we have gotten laid.

5) Finally!  You say something that makes sense.

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageEcstaticDaddy:

I don't see a problem with someone throwing their own shower. Term "shower" actually come from the assumption that the mother to be "Will be showered with gifts". I hear a lot of complaining and uselessl, downgrading comments but not a single valid reason for why not. This leads me to believe that some of you are just bitter and unhappy. You should probably consider another hobby like knitting, I hear that is relaxing and can actually lead to a longer life. Shawna&leon asked for some feedback not a tongue lashing. Who hasn't thrown their own birthday party? What is the fricken difference?! There is none!!! Get over yourselves. Also women, make up your minds. You fight for equality in society and demand that "Women should know what they want and go out and get" but as soon as another woman does that you call her spoiled. Not only does that make you a hypocrit but it also makes you a very unpleasant person who probably needs a drink, or maybe you just need to get laid.

Ah, yes, the glass ceiling and throwing your own baby shower are totally the same thing!  I'm guessing you're Leon...

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• imageEcstaticDaddy:

Hi Leon.

Seeing as this is a baby shower forum on a pregnancy and parenting website, most of us have got past the "getting laid" thing. I am assuming you are a teen dad, seeing as you are of an age where birthday parties still mean getting presents. That's cute, I'm glad you're excited about the baby! It's a lot of hard work but it'll be worth it. Your ladyfriend may want to reconsider her relationship with a sexist pig, however. Or just have a talk with Mom and see what she has to say about your views on women.

If being a "strong woman" means achieving the lifelong goal of calling all the shots at a baby shower, then I must be Hercules--I'm quite capable of doing much more than throwing a measly baby shower. But if, in your opinion, a strong, independent woman is defined by her ability to plan a tea party, then you have every right to that opinion.

But I will leave you with this thought: I do know what I want and I am capable of going out and getting it. Does that mean that, at Christmas, if my grandma gives me a sweater that is a horrible color, I should grab a brick and beat her over the head for giving me a gift I don't like? 

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • eav2ceav2c member
    It's okay, ladies, you can't fix stupid or ignorant so no need trying to reason with someone who has no class.
  • Ecstatic Daddy is expecting a baby on the SAME DAY as Shawna&Leon...and they both live in Oregon!!  Quelle coincidence!!!

Leon, we're way, way smarter than you.  On my worst day, I'm miles ahead of you on your best day.  And it sounds like you're really bitter about the whole "women's movement" thing, so just go away and tell Shawna to MAKE YOU A SANDWICH!!  You've already knocked her up. We see how manly you are and I for one am in total awe of what I am SURE is a gigantic penis you have there.

Thanks for stopping by though! Oh and referring to yourself in the third person is a sign of a dissociative disorder, and you might want to see a psychiatrist for that.  You're a baby daddy now!  Gotta get checked out for the crazies.

• I told my husband to throw a beer and diaper party for him and his guy friends...therefore he gets to celebrate the new baby too but have fun instead of sitting at a normal baby shower...plus then we can stock up early on some diapers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"