Success after IF

If your child gets frequent ear infections...

S is on his 3rd ear infection in 3 months. The last two happened within a week apart. He'd had 7 in under a year. Pretty much whenever he gets a cold (and sometimes just for fun) he ends up with an ear infection.

We saw an NP today, but will see his regular pedi in 10 days. We will discuss next steps.

The NP said that discussing tubes at this point is too early. A recommended course of action would be to put him on a low grade anti-biotic daily trough the end of this flu season. Honestly, I'm not loving this alternative: I don't want to give him antibiotics regularly, or induce a resistance to medication. Between drugs and surgery, I'm sad to say I'll take the surgery.

But I also want to know if there are any other options.

If your child is prone to ear infections what have you done?

(both DH and I had Va ear infections as kids, and it's sad we've passed it on) 

Re: If your child gets frequent ear infections...

• We just got the "talk" Monday for Isabel and she will be getting tubes. She had an ear infection from oct/nov-feb and now she has another and she had a couple before that one so her pedi feels it's time and I agree.

I don't blame you for not wanting to keep him on antib.

Good luck. Sorry your little man is have so many infections.

For DD - IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP / For DS - dIUI #1 - BFP Dx:severe MFI-Y Chromosome Microdeletion Isabel born 10-15-08! / Baby Boy EDD July 2013 imageLily  pie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thank you for responding. Did your doctor bring up any other possible treatments to tubes?
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds a bit crazy to me.  I cant remember the guideline for getting tubes, but you sound very close at the very least.  If you don't need a referral for insurance reasons, go ahead and schedule an appointment with an ENT for a second opinion.  The antibiotic thing sounds crazy.  I haven't heard of that before.. Kids get the infections due to their anatomy and fluid buildup.  Sometimes the infection is MRSA and a "low dose antiobiotic" will not do anything.  Also if an antiobiotic does help infection, it doesn't fix the real problem which is fluid build up. So LO may not have an infection but still could have fluid build up that can cause hearing and speech problems.
  • imageAvaLikeLava:
    Thank you for responding. Did your doctor bring up any other possible treatments to tubes?

I'm going to say no but, I have to call tomorrow and get the ENTs info and will ask. My mom took Isabel in b/c I was at the RE so I don't know all of the details.  We talked about it at the last ear infection appt and she only mentioned tubes.

For DD - IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP / For DS - dIUI #1 - BFP Dx:severe MFI-Y Chromosome Microdeletion Isabel born 10-15-08! / Baby Boy EDD July 2013 imageLily  pie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Our ENT said his (of course flexible) guideline is 4 acute infections in 6 months or less, and/ or consistent fluid for 3 months or more.  Hope that helps.

I was actually hesitant to do surgery (illogical, just scared) but, to answer your question, no we weren't given any other options other than to continue to come in for a different antibiotic every time she got an infection (or couldn't kick one), or tubes.  Never heard of your NP's suggestion!

GL! 

• Jax ended up getting three in one month in addition to the four he had earlier in the year and my pedi was giving me the similar line yours was giving you so I went to the ENT myself.  He recommended tubes immediately.  I whole-heartedly agree with sugery over constant antibiotics, Jax was out of surgery before we walked down the hallway, grabbed a snack and sat down.  

I'm sad to say I don't think they are working, Jax has had them in for a little over a month and has already had a double ear infection that was associated with a cold.  Maybe we will see improvement down the line but I have been super bummed so far, although I do know what we are seeing is not the norm at all.  The nice thing though was that they can do drops instead of oral antibiotics which is a plus.

DH and I both had EIs as toddlers, he got tubes multiple times and I did not.   

Daycare is SO exhausting!
    Blog
  • We had both of our kids done at about 7 months.  We knew it would be inevitable.

My DD just had her second set of tubes and adenoids out this year.  Her first set didn't do a super great job.  We are hoping that the adenoids make a big difference.

Maybe you can ask for an ENT consult.  We tried low grade abs and it really didn't help.  I also didn't think getting tubes was a big deal (though i worried like crazy before hand).

Best of luck.  I would definitely discuss with your Pedi.  He may have a different point of view or give you more options. 

• I feel for you, and your LO. Ear infections are terrible. My DS had them pretty much from 6 months to a year, constantly. We tried every antibiotic known to man, and as soon as he got off, he had another one. We also tried all kinds of diet restrictions - no milk, no soy, no nuts... anything that might also cause ear infections. It did no good. We really really didn't want our tiny baby to have surgery, but we finally got a doc who said he needed them, and was out of other options. So we got tubes for him at 13 months and BAM - no more ear infections. I honestly wish we'd have done it even earlier. The surgery was very minor and it helped more than anything in the world.
  • Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences! I'm pretty certain tubes are inevitable, and given h fact that this is prime language development I don't want to continue with the fluid and constant infection.
  • My DD just had her tubes put in on Monday.  She had 7, yes 7, ear infections in 6 months.  I was trying to avoid tubes like the plague...I thought if we could just make it to Spring or her 2nd birthday maybe they would all just go away.  However, I just couldn't stand to put one more antibiotic in her.  Plus, I was worried that they were/would start to affect her speech and hearing.  They say that when they have infections or fluid, it's like listening to someone talk under water.

Besides the REALLY long wait we had, the surgery really was a breeze.  The dr. was out to talk to us in the waiting room in less than 10 min. and we were back with in recovery 10 minutes after that.

I already notice a difference in her...her attitude, her eating, her sleeping. 

I'm so glad we did it!

TTC since 05 :( Dh diagnosed with azoospermia. Unsuccessful reconstructive surgery in 07-08. IVF w/ ICSI #1: BFP! 1 strong heartbeat and 1 lost twin @ 2nd U/S...bittersweet Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • CMM05CMM05 member

DS2 got tubes when he was 8 months old and it was the best decision we ever made. He is now almost 2.5 years old and hasn't had an ear infection since his tubes went in!

I was ready for tubes at 6 months (ha!), but we tried all alternatives (nose sprays, low dose antibiotics, etc) and nothing worked. Tubes did the trick. The surgery is very easy.

Many common antibiotics stopped working for him because he had been on them so often :(

I would ask to see an ENT. GL!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"