Stay at Home Moms
Options

Anyone else work part time at night ?

I left my job as a paralegal to stay home with DS back in September.  I just started working in retail part time at night.  Normally I do 12 hours a week, but with the holidays coming up I'm doing 26 hours next week and will probably do about 18-20 a week until Christmas.  I'm psyched because that's money for holiday presents and other odds and ends.  I also love that it gets me out of the house and around adults.  I love DS to death, but because of his GI issues he can be a handful sometimes so its nice to get away from it for a little while.

Re: Anyone else work part time at night ?

• Options
    I don't but I sometimes wish I did.  But with DH's schedule it varies so much as to when he gets off, etc so I wouldn't be able to say what days I could work.  My DS has reflux issues and still cries quite a bit and getting out of the house every now and then would be fabulous!!! 
  • Options
    I'm considering taking a nighttime retail job. It sounds like you really like it, had you done retail before or anything? I'm not sure if I'd like it but we're going to need the extra income.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I waitress 1 or 2 nights a week to get out of the house and make a few hundred dollars for myself =)
  • Options

I dance at a club a few nights a week, it's an extra grand or so a week which helps.

I am totally kidding, sorry. I have thought about doing something at night but I get cranky without sleep.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I work in retail 2-3 evenings a week. Next week I have 27 hours! I haven't worked that many hours in over a year!! Stick out tongue But like PP said, extra money for Christmas! And it is good to get out of the house, talk to adults, help customers. Plus, retail is really busy so it goes fast!
  • Options

I work the nightshift, 40 hours in a 2 weeks schedule. Usually an 8 hour and a 12 hour shift a week. I am a nurse. Part of me would love to not work at all, but there is no way I could do it, after 5 days home with baby I am ready for some adult interaction. Although I am a peds nurse so even when I work its all about kids!

I love the nightshift. DH isn't that happy about nights alone with a 2.5 month old. But he is getting the hang of it :)

• Options
    I had done retail before back in college (over 10 years ago).  Before this I was an in-house paralegal.  I loved my job and the people that I worked with, but DS's GI issues involve a lot of doctors appointments and monitoring of his formula intake so working was kind out out of the question.  We did try it for three weeks but between having to take time off of work each week for appointments and DS almost ending up in the hospital because of malnutrition because daycare couldn't handle his feeding issues it just wasn't worth it. 
  • Options
    I work the night shift too, 36 hours in a 2 week pay period.  I do 3 twelve hour shifts and space them through-out the two weeks so that I can just nap when DD is napping...I get really tired though.  I'm a nurse, so I'm basically just working so I can keep my skills up-to-date.  I'm considering going "on-call" (only have to do one shift a month vs. the six I'm doing now) because I really want to be home more.  I know it's sounds silly to some, but I HATE being away from her all night.  Plus, I feel really tired because I basically stay up all day, all night, and all the next day (with the exception of a couple hours of "napping." 
  • Options
    I work 20 hours/week at night, but from home. I wish I didn't have to because my shift is 8-midnight so I feel like I never get enough sleep. But me not working at all is not a reality right now. My DH works residential construction, so he has been laid off once this year and took a huge pay cut with his new job. I'm hoping at some point things will turn up for the residential construction industry and my DH will make more again so I can cut back my hours. I am also going to pick up 8 extra hours/week for three weeks following Christmas. I'm thankful for the extra money to help pay for Christmas!
    Kimberly, DH Monte, Angel baby 10/06, Angel twin 7/07, Rhett Kaden, our IVF miracle, born 3/23/08, Mason Robert & Wyatt David, our FET miracles, born 8/2/09 at 36 weeks, 3 days
    Our Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"